HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tried something new to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tried something new to me.

I have always fished crappie with beetle spins,cranks,and jigs.When I use jigs,I use them with an extention pole and swing them around stumps,I've done pretty well using these techniques.
    Yesterday I set two rods up with slip bobbers and jigs,the wind was pretty forocious,but I managed to keep my yak anchored.I never caught a bunch,but did manage to catch a enough to prove to me that it is another good way to add to my arsenal.
    I did notice one thing,most if not all I caught were on the up bight,And none were caught on a plain jig and tube,I either had to add crappie nibbles or a meal worm.Im not sure if the up bight is common,but it sure makes one pay attention,most were ever so slight on the lift.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use about every method we talk about here, and always enjoy being able to get em when they are tentative and not aggressive. I call what you experienced the lift bite, but it's the same thing. I don't use a slip bobber very much, but when I did it worked well for me too. Good job paying attention and getting a good bag of fish. Next time you find some like you did today, try a real light jig and cast and let it pendulum swing through them. The slow fall sometimes gets a reaction. Good Fishing.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Crappie (Wally Marshall) taught me the "up bite" fishing bridge piling on Lake Fork in TX. I always thought the drop was the trigger. And the drop bite seemed the most natural. I call that up bite, the "Wally Wiggle"! Not sure it's exactly what you're talking about but it's a lift of the jig and then a hesitation, then lift again (not letting it drop back down to where it was). I think it emboldens the fish into biting thinking his quarry is scared and is running away.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes river scum LIKED above post
    Thanks fish getter thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Mr. Crappie (Wally Marshall) taught me the "up bite" fishing bridge piling on Lake Fork in TX. I always thought the drop was the trigger. And the drop bite seemed the most natural. I call that up bite, the "Wally Wiggle"! Not sure it's exactly what you're talking about but it's a lift of the jig and then a hesitation, then lift again (not letting it drop back down to where it was). I think it emboldens the fish into biting thinking his quarry is scared and is running away.
    I think what he's talking about is the fish grabbing the jig & "lifting" the weight off the float, making it tilt or fall sideways.

The Wally Wiggle sounds like a tweak to my Vertical Casting method
    Likes SeaRay, "G" LIKED above post
    Thanks Slab thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    think it emboldens the fish into biting thinking his quarry is scared and is running away.
    thats my thinking too. and he said ever so slight on the up lift, so, i think thats exactly what he is talking about. i use the tree step up jiging too sometimes, and that why. i have watched them on camera under the ice do just that.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the best hook setting technique for the "up bite" is a side set. Pull your pole to one side or the other. You will lose more fish pulling straight up, its the direction they are traveling.

My philosophy on the up bite is simple. Your slip bobber is set too deep and the fish are going down to get your bait, then going back up to a more comfortable depth. This is very unusual. Crappie look up to eat, not down. So they must be hungry to follow it down to eat.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Thanks rebranger thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on sweeping the hook set,but not sure I understand your up bite diagnosis.lets try to get me to understand,by setting my slip too deep,my jig is below the fish.The fish not being in their comfort zone would rather have dinner on say the third floor of the restaurant instead of the first floor.The fish drops to the first floor,picks up lunch,goes back to the third floor to a more comfortable setting,lifting releases pressure on the bobber,causing the up bite?
    I suppose that's entirely possible,I just assumed I had my slip set so my jig was enticingly dangling somewhat above the fish.When the fish rose up to take the jig,the up bite would occur,my mistake is,I thought fish fed up or on the level.So what your saying is I needed to raise my jig to a higher level,thus eliminating the up bite?
    I have to admit,I personally don't mind an up bite,I don't mind the bobber tip just above the water one minute,and rising even to the point of laying on its side the next.I probably got lucky,but I never missed catching a fish that I noticed the up bite on .Thanks for your imput,I am always experimenting and fiddling with techniques and styles,I will be sure to tinker more with my jig depth." I DONT ALWAYS TELL PEOPLE WHERE I FISH,BUT WHEN I DO,I LIE"
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    I agree on sweeping the hook set,but not sure I understand your up bite diagnosis.lets try to get me to understand,by setting my slip too deep,my jig is below the fish.The fish not being in their comfort zone would rather have dinner on say the third floor of the restaurant instead of the first floor.The fish drops to the first floor,picks up lunch,goes back to the third floor to a more comfortable setting,lifting releases pressure on the bobber,causing the up bite?
    Correct. Crappie do look up and will go up to get food, then take it back down to eat, hence the bobber going down. using your floor analogy, set your depth to the third floor. Crappie will see your bait, swim up and take it, then swim back down to the first floor to eat. Crappie are lazy and have preferred spots to stay out of current. They will dart out to grab food and return to their spot to eat. Crappie also have their eyes on top of their head and prefer there food above them. Only time they will go down for food is when they are really hungry or enticed by the bait. What ever your bait, they like it a lot.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!