Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst day fishing I can remember.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Worst day fishing I can remember.

Today it is 65° here in central Illinois with snow on the weekend. Thought I would make first outing of the year. Went to a 3 acre local borrow pit along the interstate. It is 12 -45 fow. The plan was to float with the wind and bobber fish with 1.5 - 2" plastics. I expected to see schools of crappie suspended over deep water. I saw NOTHING. Not shallow, deep, or in between. I tried pitching to the large stands of cattail. No bites, no visuals , nothing but a bad attitude. I know this place has average of 9" crappie, lots of bass up to 6-7 lb, and large gills. They must be buried 3 ft in the mud cuz the anchor didn't even knock one out. That is all, rant over, meds kicking in.
    Likes dannyr3_8, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes ketchn fish is tough .....don't let it get to ya ....there is the next trip ...
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes ad1974, silverside, PawPaw Gene, dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ketchn, you are so correct. The part that bothers me the most is the electronics not marking fish at all. I covered all the way from middle to bank in the entire body of water. Should have seen something.
    Likes dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Want mark many if they are a foot deep . I have been guilty of this more than once .
    Likes chaunc, dannyr3_8, silverside LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eagle 1 View Post
    Want mark many if they are a foot deep . I have been guilty of this more than once .
    I was going to say this same thing. Those fish were possibly only a foot or two under the surface enjoying the warm weather just as you were. Next time start high in the water column and work your way deeper less than a foot at a time over the deep water. Don't be afraid to check very shallow too. They may be in two to four foot water near wood or rock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverside View Post
    Today it is 65° here in central Illinois with snow on the weekend. Thought I would make first outing of the year. Went to a 3 acre local borrow pit along the interstate. It is 12 -45 fow. The plan was to float with the wind and bobber fish with 1.5 - 2" plastics. I expected to see schools of crappie suspended over deep water. I saw NOTHING. Not shallow, deep, or in between. I tried pitching to the large stands of cattail. No bites, no visuals , nothing but a bad attitude. I know this place has average of 9" crappie, lots of bass up to 6-7 lb, and large gills. They must be buried 3 ft in the mud cuz the anchor didn't even knock one out. That is all, rant over, meds kicking in.
    Had a similar day here in South East Iowa yesterday and today. The surface temperature here has come up 15+ degrees in 4 days. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. Today I saw no life but a bunch of turtles. Yesterday I saw a lot of fish right at the surface but couldn't get any to bite. Tried multiple techniques and baits but they didn't want anything to do with the bait. Hopefully once the weather settles down fishing will improve.
    Likes silverside, dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye72 View Post
    Had a similar day here in South East Iowa yesterday and today. The surface temperature here has come up 15+ degrees in 4 days. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. Today I saw no life but a bunch of turtles. Yesterday I saw a lot of fish right at the surface but couldn't get any to bite. Tried multiple techniques and baits but they didn't want anything to do with the bait. Hopefully once the weather settles down fishing will improve.
    I feel bad about your day of fishing BUT... it helps me knowing that someone else up here in the northern crappisphere had a similar day. Not just me

Post Thanks / Like

You just described my last two months of fishing. I feel your pain.
    Likes dannyr3_8, silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

No pain no gain, Learn from every experience.

Post Thanks / Like

like a guy told me on the ramp today it still beats cutting grass
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast