Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What size Thill oval for 1/32 and 1/64?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What size Thill oval for 1/32 and 1/64?

Looking at picking up some Thill Pro Series oval slip floats. These aren't on the shelf anywhere around where I live, so I can't just go pick up a couple and try them out. I will have to order them online so I want to get the sizing right the first time.

I'll be fishing mostly wax worms, night crawlers and the occasional tubes on 1/32 and 1/64 jig heads. I have some Thill spring and slip pencils that I'm using now but I want to give the slip ovals a try.

Anyway, they are sized Small - Large. I'm going to go with the Small (1/2") for the 1/64 and Medium (5/8") for the 1/32. I just want to make sure the float sits up properly with these jig sizes since I fish very shallow water sometimes and I use the float position as an indication if I'm off the bottom or not.

Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like

I think thrill corks has the size of weights needed wrote on their corks.

Crappie Cork - Thill

Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's the "Crappie" series and they are marked down to 1/16, but that's the smallest they get. I have a few of them, but I'm interested in info on the Pro Series ovals. Unfortunately, Thill only seems to mark the "Crappie" series with recommended weights.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Try different size Shy Bites. One of them will work.

I have decent luck using the 1/16 oz rated Shy Bite with 1/32 oz head. The 1/32 oz rated thill can work, but there is only about 1/8" up out of the water. With the shape of the Shy Bite, I don't see a down side to going up one size over what is recommended.
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why wont theses work? They can be adjusted to preferred weight I have both sizes
    2 NEW PLASTIC CASTING SLIP BOBBERS/FLOATS HIGH WIND CONDITIONS BF-5 | eBay
    Check all of this guys bobbers
    aztool-jerry | eBay

FIN

Post Thanks / Like

Those all look interesting. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan on using a thill pro slip float with a 1/64 jig head you will need to use a split shot it's not heavy enough. The float will not float right and it will not pull line threw float. Up in the stickys is a rig drawings page from shipahoy41 he shows a double jig rig. I use 1/64 on top 1/32 on bottom with a 1/2 thill pro slip float. You can also use 2 1/64 jig heads it works but I find I get more tangles in my line with it. 1/2 should work for your single 1/32 jig rig too. Also if you get the weighted floats it's nice to be able to quickly adjust the weight without having to use split shot. Hopefully this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

for short water presentations the clip on versions are way better in my opinion
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like