PDA

View Full Version : Bassmaster Classic

mrwillis
02-26-2007, 08:52 AM
I know this doesn't have to do with Crappie fishing, but did anyone see the DQ of Swindle during this last BMClassic because of his boating escapade? This quickly made me think of the thread a couple weeks ago about "idling or boating on plane...which one is better?". I would be interesting in hearing your thoughts.

mistertwister
02-26-2007, 08:56 AM
I saw this. Just a poor decision on his part to drive that past, between the camera boat and the pro. He shouldnt have been upset with the DQ for the day. He was on plane, and there wasnt any wake to speak up, just cutting it too close. Must have been a senior moment or something.

Chris

Slabalicious
02-26-2007, 08:57 AM
He got what he needed in my book. I am sure its not the first time it has happened and not been seen. But that was way to close to be runnin 60 or 70 in between boats that close. Steering screws up and we got dead fishermen!

SweetHomeAlabama
02-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Did you hear his response?

"I don't think I did anything wrong. I drive fast and fish fast"

And that attitude is why bass fishermen are disliked.

mrwillis
02-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Interesting thoughts...I agree that the DQ was legit and merited. However, did anyone else hear the statement that he said "I was waved through..."? I swear I heard that statement. And, I think it was a little fuel to the fire to make him weigh in, in front of all the people who supported him and cheered for him. Maybe that was the "humble pie" he needed to chew on for awhile.

frank lawhead
02-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I HEARD HIM SAY THAT HE WAS WAVED THRU TOO :eek:

Blue Duck
02-26-2007, 09:35 AM
He got off lucky. Lots of places he would have a broaken nose........

jem270
02-26-2007, 09:42 AM
This is a quote from the bassmaster site from Swindel. This guy just doesn't get it.

"So to tell you I'm going to go out tomorrow and I'm going to quit running through a gap, or I'm going to quit trying to win this Classic, I'd be lying to every one of you. Because when I take the water at Amistad," the Texas lake where the Elite Series season begins next month "I'm going to hate everybody and everything until I win."

By the way, I went to the expo and had a great time.

mrwillis
02-26-2007, 10:05 AM
I am jealous...JEM270...I would love to go to the expo. It has to by way cooler than watching it on TV.

jem270
02-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Most of it applies to the green carp fisherman. I did see a couple of crappie pros but I did not get a chance to talk to them. I did see a Triton aluminum crappie boat that looked good. It had the extra pedestals on the front for 2 seats.

Phishermanjohn
02-26-2007, 10:24 AM
The coverage on ESPN was awful.

No live coverage. Late night recaps. Rediculous. BASS is supposed to be an up and coming sport. There are plenty of fishermen out there as a potential audience. This sport will go nowhere publiclly without a little coverage.

FishnLine
02-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I liked what the guy said on the boat that Gerrald blew by..."he shouldn't have done that"

GRIZZ
02-26-2007, 11:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/tournaments/classic/news/story?id=2778146

Scroll down all the way to the bottom to see the video. No question he was way to close. Looked like about 5 or 6 feet at full throttle. Glad he was DQ'd.

DRPEPPER
02-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Did you hear his response?

"I don't think I did anything wrong. I drive fast and fish fast"

And that attitude is why bass fishermen are disliked.

I am glad you don't have to be fast to catch crappie.
DP

Phishermanjohn
02-26-2007, 12:10 PM
That was wreckless. That looked like he was threading the needle at full throttle.

crappie lover ken
02-26-2007, 01:22 PM
i saw it and at no time did i see him get waved through. poor decision on his part and good one on the DQ. I've fished in a few bass tournaments in my day and never thought that putting lifes in danger was worth winning a tournament over. I think he should have to at least go to a boater safety class before he is able to fish another tournament with bass.

GRIZZ
02-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Watching the video a little more, there was plenty of room for him go around. He talks about being competitive and aggressive. Thats a bunch of bull. He was just being a cocky jerk. It wouldn't have cost him any time at all to go around at those speeds. His whining just makes it worse, and sounds like he's trying to justify himself. He should have just taken a man pill and said it was a really bad call and he wouldn't do it again. Can you imagine someone like Clunn or Van dam doing something like that? never.

Ranger690
02-26-2007, 02:16 PM
I watched the 2 hr late night coverage on Saturday night. They showed one clip of Swindle after the infraction. He was getting ready to fish again and his camera man was taping. As he stepped up on the front deck, he laughed and said "hahahahah, Man I bet they got weeeeeettttt when I went by 'em! hehehehe!"

Kinda dangerous and too cocky for my blood. I like the guy, but man, what a bad decision.

Dayton

tim
02-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Could you imagine what he would have said if a water skier or jet skier had went by him like that.

mistertwister
02-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Could you imagine what he would have said if a water skier or jet skier had went by him like that.

I would suspect that bass fishing might have turned into a contact sport a few minutes. :) Again, just poor judgment and more an more these guys are looked up to by the younger folks, not setting a good example. Right now, he has two directions, a proactive one where he can make something good out of this, or he can just blame everyone for taking it too out of context. I hope the former.
chris

bttmline
02-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Yea I couldn't believe he thought he was ok when the camera boat was right there. I thought he was going to swamp both the other boats.
Tim

cody
02-26-2007, 04:32 PM
in my opinion, they were way too easy on him. if he went by my boat at wide open throttle like that, he would have been wearing my anchor. that was unsafe. wake or no wake. someone could have been seriously hurt if something went wrong. getting waved on by cant stop a steering malfunction like already mentioned. i watched the replay a few times. it evan looks like he turned and smiled at the camera as he went by. what an idiot. :rolleyes:

Cody.

SpeckWick
02-26-2007, 05:57 PM
I think he watched Top Gun one too many times. Buzzing the tower, ya know. Just trying to be cute. I doubt he learned his lesson with the DQ though. Guys like that who blame others for their own actions never do. The Terrell Owens syndrome.With the growing popularity of crappie tournaments, I hope our sport isn't heading down that road.

grubby
02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
he made a big mistake. it will give him a black eye for a little while. bass dint need any bad publicity right now. A lot of folks are moving over to the FLW series so they don't need to give them any more fuel for the fire. hope he learns something form this. kids dont need bad influences.

crappie tracker
02-26-2007, 06:58 PM
i can not remember the guys name but they done an interview with him ( it was on sunday night] and he said that he waved him on. when you put that much $ on the line them boys are going to push it to the limit just like gordon, dale any of them that is there job they have to produce wins are somebody else will be doing there job . at the time he had one thing on his mind get to the next spot and catch fish. all of them boys have done it sometime or another .right or wrong what would you do if you were in there shoes.

crappie lover ken
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
i can not remember the guys name but they done an interview with him ( it was on sunday night] and he said that he waved him on. when you put that much $ on the line them boys are going to push it to the limit just like gordon, dale any of them that is there job they have to produce wins are somebody else will be doing there job . at the time he had one thing on his mind get to the next spot and catch fish. all of them boys have done it sometime or another .right or wrong what would you do if you were in there shoes.

that's just dumb, I'm sorry but that's like saying a truck driver has the right to drive unsafe because it's his job. he made a dumb decision and he should own up to it instead of making excuses.

keep on fishin

SkeeterJeff
02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Yeah, everything indicates that he was waved through by his fellow competitor. But when he told the tournament director that he was waved through, it was reported that the director asked him if he would go through a red light if he was waved through.

Game, set, match to TD. Good call.

BTW, from what I understand they didn't "require" him to weigh in on Sat. It was his decision to weigh in in front of his home state crowd, then let them hear from him that he had been disqualified. As stupid as his mistake was earlier, it takes something to face the public and admit it.

I still think the guy doesn't get it though..

caseydrew
02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
I used to enjoy watching him as he seemed like a pretty good guy that I was pulling for. I've now lost ALL respect for him as that was an unbelievably stupid and COCKY decision on his part. I'm a pretty nice guy, but he and I would've gotten tangled up if he had came that close to me on plane. It is unfortunate that more people will remember his stupidity in this tournament than the great fishing that was taking place. Absolutely NO EXCUSE for pulling that stunt.

Minnerman
02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
The majority of the tourney bass guys are like this. They think they own the lake no matter how big or small the tourney is. They get mad if you catch the bass and eat em, they get really mad if you don't give them the right-of- way down a bank and they get really p'd when you launch your boat right before their blast off and they have to slow down or dodge you. I dont feel sorry for him one bit especially when he cried like a baby on T.V. I kind of thought it was funny to see a grown man cry in that situation. Like a kid that had his favorite toy taken away for not sharing. The Fish and Game Dept or Water Patrol should have stepped in and also presented him with a reckles driving ticket. I think there is a law about operating a boat in that fashion. They had the evidence on camera. What do you think they would have done to a normal joe on the lake if he was acting that way? They probably would have pulled him over and given him a Sobriety Test and if he passed it then they would have still gave him a ticket. P*** on him. Thats just my 2 cents worth and if I have offended anyone Gee Whizz..............I'm Sorry. LOL

caseydrew
02-26-2007, 09:40 PM
The majority of the tourney bass guys are like this. They think they own the lake no matter how big or small the tourney is. They get mad if you catch the bass and eat em, they get really mad if you don't give them the right-of- way down a bank and they get really pissed when you launch your boat right before their blast off and they have to slow down or dodge you. I dont feel sorry for him one bit especially when he cried like a baby on T.V. I kind of thought it was funny to see a grown man cry in that situation. Like a kid that had his favorite toy taken away for not sharing. The Fish and Game Dept or Water Patrol should have stepped in and also presented him with a reckles driving ticket. I think there is a law about operating a boat in that fashion. They had the evidence on camera. What do you think they would have done to a normal joe on the lake if he was acting that way? They probably would have pulled him over and given him a Sobriety Test and if he passed it then they would have still gave him a ticket. Piss on him. Thats just my 2 cents worth and if I have offended anyone Gee Whizz..............I'm Sorry. LOL

You are absolutely mistaken as the majority of tourney bass guys are just as good as any of the crappie fishermen you meet on a daily basis. Some crappie fishermen have a couple bad experiences w/ a few idiots fishing tournaments and automatically assume all tourney bass fishermen are the same. This is a very close minded way to look at a group of people. The "majority" of the bass tourney guys are just out there for fun and a little competition. Try entering an open bass tourney sometime and you might be suprised how you are treated. I think they are a blast and a great way to have some fun on the water.

chaunc
02-27-2007, 04:23 AM
Anybody else have a problem with the bass guys tearing up their brushpiles when they flip that superline into it and get hung up ?

PieEye
02-27-2007, 04:42 AM
I agree with Minnerman , he should have been arrested. If that would have been a jet lice.... doing it to Swindel., he would have insisted on it. While we can thank the bass pros for alot of the safety inovations on boats these days and for the advancement of technology, we can also thank them for putting a dollar bill on resources. ANYTIME you put a dollar out... bet on some aggressive behavior. I am sure that everyone has seen it, not only bass guys but crappie, catfish, redfish, muskie and walleye fisherman also. Most the tourney folks and fisherman are respectfull and very safety minded.., but money changes some folks and it is unfortunate.

matt s.
02-27-2007, 06:43 AM
I'm a big time bass fisherman and i can vouch swindle got what he deserved.Most of the bass fishers don't agree with swindle as well....rules are rules and he broke one plain and simple.Not all bass fishers are cocky and egomanics.

Wiskers
02-27-2007, 07:11 AM
I'm a big time bass fisherman and i can vouch swindle got what he deserved.Most of the bass fishers don't agree with swindle as well....rules are rules and he broke one plain and simple.Not all bass fishers are cocky and egomanics.
Swindle is just the kind of bassfisherman that we have grown to hate here on Ky. Lake! :mad: They consistantly exhibit a lack of respect and total disreguard for other fishermen and boaters! Two years ago a tournament fisherman thru my 8 year old grandson out of his seat & darn near in the lake when he came in too close and just set that big thing down on top of us while we were fish'n! :mad: I went to the tournament officials and complained and not a darn thing was done to the man. He weighed in and got his money! I get Pi$$3d off everytime this subject comes up! I'm glad it happened on National TV so everyone can see what happens all the time here. mat s. I commend you for not taking up for him! :D

rango
02-27-2007, 09:07 AM
swindle reinforced the image most folks have of the big bass boats and SOME of the guys that drive em. his cocky attitude also hurt their image. im suprised his sponsors would want him weaing their icons on his boat and shirts cause they stick out like a sore thumb, just like his actions did.. I see it time and time again when you have a group of crappie fishing boats gathered and theres a bass tournament going on. them boats come zippin through us wide open without regard to anyones safety. its just a matter of time till one of em kills someone whose anchored up and enjoying the night. when he does and he goes before the judge, he'll loose his cocky attitude, and if he dont the boys he has to bunk with for a few years will tame hime down :). unfortuantly someone has lost his life

mrwillis
02-27-2007, 11:14 AM
swindle reinforced the image most folks have of the big bass boats and SOME of the guys that drive em. his cocky attitude also hurt their image. im suprised his sponsors would want him weaing their icons on his boat and shirts cause they stick out like a sore thumb, just like his actions did.. I see it time and time again when you have a group of crappie fishing boats gathered and theres a bass tournament going on. them boats come zippin through us wide open without regard to anyones safety. its just a matter of time till one of em kills someone whose anchored up and enjoying the night. when he does and he goes before the judge, hell loose his cocky attitude, and if he dont the boys he has to bunk with for a few years will tame hime down :). unfortuantly someone has lost his life

Did you all catch that at his weigh-in he apologized to his sponsors. I don't remember for sure, but I think that was the only people he apologized to. Interesting thought.

Ragfly Jig Man
02-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I say this to Swindle. You are nothing but a spoiled little brat. If I am out there fishing and you go that close to me going that fast you justy might get a plug accidentally ..........

fiddlefarter
02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm not saying that he did right by no means. But am I the only one that believes it isn't lawful for a bunch of boats to gather in the middle of a channel and block the safe passage of other vessels? Fishing or not, I don't believe you can do that. Say he did get waved thru, still should've slowed down before he got there. If it were me I wouldn't have gotten DQ'd for unsafe operation, it would have been when I stopped, for me cussing on camera telling them to get the *@#$! out of the channel so I can get by. once he got waved he had a split second decision to slow down or go for it. Wasn't no turnin' back when he made his choice. If he'd had decided to let off right at all them boats it would've been worse. Coming down from that fast gets squirrelly. Guess runnin' a red light is a pretty good comparison after all. H*ll would break loose if you stopped in the middle of the intersection. That said, what he did was stupid.

And it ain't just bass fishermen. I've been run all over by all kinds of jack a$$es. The one factor I see is if you roll in a bass boat it's automatically assumed you are a inconsiderate bass fisherman and it's your goal in life to swamp every crappie fisherman around. Just not the case folks.

I campare this a little to a spot I fish some in night tournaments. There is a spot on one of the lakes here where every drunk with a boat within 500 miles gathers to party on the weekends. and they yell when you don't suscribe to their self imposed "no wake zone" but if there's room and its safe I'll run 60 when I go by them and up in the creek to fish.

coosajimmy
02-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Move over buddy,I'M fishing a tournament, I'm gonna fish that stump where you're sitting! Just sit there and I'll fish it,better watch your cork.Y'all doing any good ,nice day!Nothing , I'll just blow that little fisher marine outta the water with this 250 when I blast outta here. I sure hated to bother those guys but we're fishing a tournament!:mad:

denmo83
02-27-2007, 02:08 PM
I've been fishing the Chicago area all my life. I'm used to fishing shoulder to shoulder in a crowd.

What that guy did was nuts. It's not acceptable to put others in harms way. This isn't Nascar. Those race cars are built for safety. Remember Rusty Wallace rolling at Daytona?? Can't even count how many times he rolled in slow motion it happened so fast. Yet he walked away.

One linkage breaks and you've got dead fisherman. No excuses. He was wrong. I don't think he does it if his family is in that camera boat.

GRIZZ
02-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Fiddle if you watch that vid closely you'll see that they were in a pretty wide channel. There was plenty of room for him to go around the 2 boats he went through at full speed without causing an incident. I'm starting to agree with the person who said he has a bit of Terrel Owens syndrome. Someone who I detest more than anyone in sports. Its called being selfish like a 9 yr old bully until someone bigger and stronger comes along and teaches him a lesson. Then he cries like a baby, but in the end he's still just concerned with himself. Terrel Owens to the tee. Scary.

I'm not saying that he did right by no means. But am I the only one that believes it isn't lawful for a bunch of boats to gather in the middle of a channel and block the safe passage of other vessels? Fishing or not, I don't believe you can do that. Say he did get waved thru, still should've slowed down before he got there. If it were me I wouldn't have gotten DQ'd for unsafe operation, it would have been when I stopped, for me cussing on camera telling them to get the *@#$! out of the channel so I can get by. once he got waved he had a split second decision to slow down or go for it. Wasn't no turnin' back when he made his choice. If he'd had decided to let off right at all them boats it would've been worse. Coming down from that fast gets squirrelly. Guess runnin' a red light is a pretty good comparison after all. Hell would break loose if you stopped in the middle of the intersection. That said, what he did was stupid.

And it ain't just bass fishermen. I've been run all over by all kinds of jack a$$es. The one factor I see is if you roll in a bass boat it's automatically assumed you are a inconsiderate bass fisherman and it's your goal in life to swamp every crappie fisherman around. Just not the case folks.

I campare this a little to a spot I fish some in night tournaments. There is a spot on one of the lakes here where every drunk with a boat within 500 miles gathers to party on the weekends. and they yell when you don't suscribe to their self imposed "no wake zone" but if there's room and its safe I'll run 60 when I go by them and up in the creek to fish.

slab-happy
02-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I think he should have got the $*** kicked out of him and disqualified him for his actions. Just think if it had not been any cameras around or fellow bass fishermen but a couple jon boats with small children. I've seen low life's like him on the lake and I don't have any use them.

deep-v
02-27-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure what shows you guys watched, but I have all of this years Classic taped, and G-Man owned up to his mistake at the weigh-in saturday night. He said he made a bad judgement call, and had no problems with the decision from Trip (tournament director) for the disqualification. Randy Howell couldn't even believe he got DQ'd, and he was the one that G-Man went buzzing by after Randy waved him through.

I agree with the DQ, but I just wanted to clear up some of these accusations that G-Man didn't own up to his mistake, because he did.

slab-happy
02-27-2007, 03:31 PM
What do you think he would have done if there would have been two Police boats in his path???? or two jon boats with small motors so they can't chase after him and no cameras for his fans to see????

He would have been at idel speed or full throttle without even looking back to see if someone was thrown out their boat from his wake.

england
02-27-2007, 04:53 PM
The guy is crazy, along with that Michael Icanelli guy.

crappie10
02-27-2007, 05:14 PM
He made a split second decision based on adrenaline. PERIOD he apologized and it's over. It has nothing to do with the big boat or that it was a bass tournament. I have had guys in john boats try to swamp me just as often as Rangers with 250's. How many of you drink while fishing and then drive home. or drive 75 pulling your boat because it's getting daylight and your crappie tournament is 30 miles away. I have seen just as much crap in crappie tournaments as bass tournaments. Those of you casting at jetskiers or wanting to throw anchors at boats are risking jail time if you hurt someone. it's assault. they get a ticket, you go to jail. besides the fact that the more people you mess with, the better the chance that one of them is a lot tougher than you think you are. This disregard for the rules cost him a chance at 500,000 dollars. Lets wait and see it it got his attention...and maybe we can all learn a lesson. If we all try to show each other a little respect, we all can have a good time. To any I may have ever driven close to, I apologize. To any who have done it to me, you are forgiven.
jc

Charger
02-27-2007, 05:37 PM
The majority of the tourney bass guys are like this. They think they own the lake no matter how big or small the tourney is. They get mad if you catch the bass and eat em, they get really mad if you don't give them the right-of- way down a bank and they get really p'd when you launch your boat right before their blast off and they have to slow down or dodge you. I dont feel sorry for him one bit especially when he cried like a baby on T.V. I kind of thought it was funny to see a grown man cry in that situation. Like a kid that had his favorite toy taken away for not sharing. The Fish and Game Dept or Water Patrol should have stepped in and also presented him with a reckles driving ticket. I think there is a law about operating a boat in that fashion. They had the evidence on camera. What do you think they would have done to a normal joe on the lake if he was acting that way? They probably would have pulled him over and given him a Sobriety Test and if he passed it then they would have still gave him a ticket. P*** on him. Thats just my 2 cents worth and if I have offended anyone Gee Whizz..............I'm Sorry. LOL

So by you saying the "majority" of bass fishermen are like that, your stating you 'know' most of the bass fishermen?
Thats bullchit! I crappie fish and bass fish, and I will tell you now, there are just as many rude, inconsiderate crappie fishermen as there are bass fishermen. Sure bass fishermen zoom by you. I am glad they do, makes for a lot smaller wake, but I can say that I have never had a bass fishermen to set down right on top of me, although I lost count as to the number of crappie fishermen trying to weasel in between me and my hole.

But the pure fact here is there are azzholes everywhere! Now back to the subject. I agree, Swindle was wrong, VERY wrong and dangerous. He got what he deserved and hopefully, for the safety of other anglers, he has learned a lesson. Time will tell.

Minnerman, just want to say I am not offended by your statement and hope your not by mine, but we both know that azzholes on the water come in different boats for different fish!;)

Wiskers
02-27-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm not saying that he did right by no means. But am I the only one that believes it isn't lawful for a bunch of boats to gather in the middle of a channel and block the safe passage of other vessels? Fishing or not, I don't believe you can do that. Say he did get waved thru, still should've slowed down before he got there. If it were me I wouldn't have gotten DQ'd for unsafe operation, it would have been when I stopped, for me cussing on camera telling them to get the *@#$! out of the channel so I can get by.

If you watched the show on ESPN you saw that they were NOT in what would be considered a Navagation Channel with designated buoys and or navigation lights and day markers. There was plenty of room for him to safely navigate around the traffic at a "Safe Speed". I can asure you as a Towboat Pilot, if there had been an accident, the other vessels would not have been charged with blocking the safe passage of another vessel. Swindel on the otherhand would have been in violation of rule #6 as well as a few others.

Rule #6 of the Steering and Sailing Rules states: Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to aviod collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate for the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

In determining a safe speed the following factors shall be among those taken into account.

(a) By all Vessels;
(i) the state of visibility;
(ii) the traffic density including concentration of fishing vessels or any other vessels;

the term "fishing vessels" refers to Commercial vessels pulling nets or trolling, not crappie fishermen of bass fishermen.

I could go on.

Bottom line, there are very few sittuations that arise that would be deemed as one pleasure craft blocking the safe passage of another. They are just too small and manuverable for that to be a valid argument in the eyes of the law. Commercial Vessels like I operate are a whole different story. We take up a lot of room and always have the right of way over a pleasure boat in a narrow channel.

bobberwatcher
02-27-2007, 07:52 PM
In my opinion, nevermind what the rules say. It is called "Common Courtesy" here in South Arkansas. Common courtesy works both ways as well. If it isn't expressed out on the water, we won't be expressing it on the bank. We don't get mad and we don't get even....we get ahead. :cool:

Pirogue
02-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Fiddle if you watch that vid closely you'll see that they were in a pretty wide channel. There was plenty of room for him to go around the 2 boats he went through at full speed without causing an incident. I'm starting to agree with the person who said he has a bit of Terrel Owens syndrome. Someone who I detest more than anyone in sports. Its called being selfish like a 9 yr old bully until someone bigger and stronger comes along and teaches him a lesson. Then he cries like a baby, but in the end he's still just concerned with himself. Terrel Owens to the tee. Scary.

Grizz,
But I guess you missed the wide angle footage that showed all the SPECTATOR boats that were rafted up between the camera boat and the far bank.
Swindle took to RIGHT path !!! In hindsite,sure,he shoulda shut down,but considering it was a necked down,NARROW,channel,he took the CORRECT path !!
Look here,I AM a crappie fisherman.I fish outa a 17' aluminum boat with a 40hp tiller,not a bass rig.I would MUCH rather have a bass boat run by me WO that to high speed idle by !!
Looks like alota ya'll have a **** for bass fishermen.It's a lil silly,talkin' about breakin' noses,thrownin' anchors in thier boats,yada yada.I gotta wonder if ALL ya'll are really that tough.:rolleyes:
Honestly,I get WAY more p'd when I catch a crappie or two,only to have some other jerkwad slab slayer,come hornin' in and playin' bumper boats with me.Compared to that crap,some cowboy blowin' by me in a bass rig ain't nuthin' !!

Carry on,
Pirogue

crappiefarmer
02-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Well there is blowing by someone and then there is what this idiot did. That was just uncalled for. He should have just slowed down to no wake. What would it have hurt? about 20 seconds of time? The guy that waved him on was also an idiot. There were too many other boats in the area to pull a stunt like that. I think if he had not gotten the wave by, he would have stopped. I will say this though if it were me and I did not wave him by and he pulled that stunt. I would have followed him and had a few words with him and if he wanted to get arrogant then yeah, a broke nose might be in the works. It might sound childish but sometimes that is the only language people understand. If you have never had to do this then you have not met up with the right one yet. I promise you there are plenty of Aholes out there that will take you to the limit. As far as being tuff enough. 31 years old, 6', 260 pounds and built like a line backer. I can hold my own. Don't like to be put in that situation and will do everything to stay out of it and trouble but will end it if I have to. Would rather the law do it. Seems like the game warden is never around or even on the water when people do stupid things like this.:mad: CF

fiddlefarter
02-28-2007, 07:55 AM
On a lot of waterways there are sketchy, unmarked channels. What are the rules on bodies of water like this? I mean, like on say Percy Priest Lake where there is no commercial boat traffic, I'd guess there are maybe 20 bouys marking channels lakewide. The creeks are vaguely marked if at all and some are very narrow in certain places with very shallow water on each side. How do the rules apply in these situations?

I believe that although he screwed up BASS and DNR or the authoritative body, has to put some kind of limits on spectators screwing up travel for all boats. I know its really not BASS's responsibility but you catch my point? Compare to other events where spectators are generally segregated from competitors.

It is different for barge traffic, if a boat was in the way, first of all they're stupid, second you could hit them full speed and it'd still be their fault. Don't think anyone in any kind of boat would want to do that.

It's hard to tell where this thread is going...and if people are getting mad/defensive or what. So I'll attempt to hijack it...What's ya'lls take on Pacman Jones?:) I think he's much more of an idiot than Swindle, oh and T.O. too. Truth be told I think all football players are overpaid idiots and sissies compared to hockey players.

Pirogue
02-28-2007, 09:20 AM
. Truth be told I think all football players are overpaid idiots and sissies compared to hockey players.

Yeah..especially the linebackers !!;)

P

Pirogue
02-28-2007, 09:35 AM
I'll compare this to my home lake,Wappapello in SE MO.
When Wapp is at winter pool,you're either in the river channel or in less that
3' of stump infested mudflat water.In LOTS of places,the channel narrows to 20 yards or less...especially in the TIGHT bends.Of course,these bends seem to really concentrate the shad and crappie,thus the crappie fishermen.This channel is crooked as a snake for miles and miles.On any given weekend,there'll be a dozen or more boats stacked up in every bend.If I want to get,say 7 or 8 miles up river,there's NO way I'm going to shut down and idle through every one of several dozen floatillas of boats,setting in said bends.And I'm NOT going to swing wide or cut a corner out of the channel,risking a GOOD chance of wiping out a lower unit.
I'm going to "shoot the gap",just like most others that fish this lake....excluding the idiots that think they're being nice by slowing down to half plane and pushin' a 3' wall of water.
If ya set your happy in the middle of a narrow channel...expect to get buzzed close !! That's the breaks.I'm sure some of the guys doing this think I'm a arsehole for blowing by so close,but I think they're a idiot for setting in the middle of a tight corner.:D

Carry On,
P

GRIZZ
02-28-2007, 02:42 PM
There is slowing down and then there is slow enough. I've spent my whole life on boats and on the water, and this is the conclusion I've come to when I consider how fast I should go past others on the water.

Why does everyone have to be in such a hurry? Is the 30 seconds it takes to slow down to a no wake speed for a 100 feet of boating that big of a deal, even to a tournament angler? I don't mean slowing down to the speed where you are pushing a wall of water. I mean slowing down to a no wake speed, off plane at speeds of 5mph or less.

I often say there are two kinds of people. People who think of themselves first, and people who think of others first. This topic is a perfect example. There are just too many people these days in the later category, and its time for them to take a step back and think about what kind of people they are. Whats wrong with being kind to each other, even when people don't deserve it. Just remember that selfishness is contagious, and so is kindness.

My conclusion is this. Don't be a jerk. Slow down to a no wake speed when you can't go around a boat wide enough to not disturb them. Think of others before yourself. You will be happier, and so will they, and next time they might think of you first as well.

mrwillis
02-28-2007, 03:04 PM
There is slowing down and then there is slow enough. I've spent my whole life on boats and on the water, and this is the conclusion I've come to when I consider how fast I should go past others on the water.

Why does everyone have to be in such a hurry? Is the 30 seconds it takes to slow down to a no wake speed for a 100 feet of boating that big of a deal, even to a tournament angler? I don't mean slowing down to the speed where you are pushing a wall of water. I mean slowing down to a no wake speed, off plane at speeds of 5mph or less.

I often say there are two kinds of people. People who think of themselves first, and people who think of others first. This topic is a perfect example. There are just too many people these days in the later category, and its time for them to take a step back and think about what kind of people they are. Whats wrong with being kind to each other, even when people don't deserve it. Just remember that selfishness is contagious, and so is kindness.

My conclusion is this. Don't be a jerk. Slow down to a no wake speed when you can't go around a boat wide enough to not disturb them. Think of others before yourself. You will be happier, and so will they, and next time they might think of you first as well.

THE SELFISHNESS IDEA...very good thought process there. We are selfish, and I am seeing this in another thread I have been following...dealing with the idea of other people fishing the structure you put out in public waters. I started this thread in order to see what everyone thought, and I was right on my prediction. He was wrong, and I totally agree with this. I feel that losing a shot at $500K is a pretty good lesson. However, maybe we can learn as much of a lesson as he did without costing us all tha money. Selfishness will someday come back to smack you in the face. If you live a selfish life, don't get mad when you get it in return.

crappie10
02-28-2007, 03:13 PM
I wonder how many tough guy drunks get hit in the mouth compared to highly paid PROFESSIONAL anglers. In this day of drive by shootings and people carrying guns on board, I think the time is over for the good old boy,I think I am still 17 and my job is used to me being in jail, cause I didn't pay my child support, mentality. People have gotten so dang busy trying to squeeze in a little fishing time between having 2 jobs and running the kids everywhere, that it is taking all the fun out of it. One of the posts asked if he would have been mad if a jet skier had done that to him. I would bet my next overtime check that he would have flipped out. so would I, so would you and that's what I am talking about. Take a deep breath and remember why we are out there. TO HAVE FUN

Wiskers
03-01-2007, 08:42 AM
I'll compare this to my home lake,Wappapello in SE MO.
When Wapp is at winter pool,you're either in the river channel or in less that
3' of stump infested mudflat water.In LOTS of places,the channel narrows to 20 yards or less...especially in the TIGHT bends.Of course,these bends seem to really concentrate the shad and crappie,thus the crappie fishermen.This channel is crooked as a snake for miles and miles.On any given weekend,there'll be a dozen or more boats stacked up in every bend.If I want to get,say 7 or 8 miles up river,there's NO way I'm going to shut down and idle through every one of several dozen floatillas of boats,setting in said bends.And I'm NOT going to swing wide or cut a corner out of the channel,risking a GOOD chance of wiping out a lower unit.
I'm going to "shoot the gap",just like most others that fish this lake....excluding the idiots that think they're being nice by slowing down to half plane and pushin' a 3' wall of water.
If ya set your happy ass in the middle of a narrow channel...expect to get buzzed close !! That's the breaks.I'm sure some of the guys doing this think I'm a arsehole for blowing by so close,but I think they're a idiot for setting in the middle of a tight corner.:D

Carry On,
P
I see your point but.... The law is the law. You may not have a restricted "no wake" rule in your lake but reguardless the law states that "you are responsible for you wake" Period! If you choose to "shoot the gap" and blast on by. Just remember when you do that you are resposible for any and all damage your wake creates.

Oh, and it would make much more since for "those idiots" to consentrate their fishing efforts where there is the least consintration of fish so as not to hold up others who are in a hurry. Come on! :rolleyes: Those guys are there cause the fish are, you said it yourself. Have a lovely day! :D

Pirogue
03-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Oh, and it would make much more since for "those idiots" to consentrate their fishing efforts where there is the least consintration of fish so as not to hold up others who are in a hurry. Come on! :rolleyes: :D

Not at all...but if you fish in the middle of a navigation channel,expect wakes !! I much prefer the little chop caused by a boat on plane,verses the "fast idle" rollers caused by boaters being "nice".
Plus..the faster they blow by me,the less chance of them seeing me catch a slab and hornin' in !!:D
Just a question,seein' as how you're a tow pilot.Are commercial vessels responsible for damage caused by thier wakes OUTSIDE of the marked channels?

Thanks,
P

David Waters
03-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Anyone who has fished with multiple rods tight lining would understand just how important it is to slow down to NO wake.

fiddlefarter
03-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Anyone who has fished with multiple rods tight lining would understand just how important it is to slow down to NO wake.

When I'm tightlining I barely move at all. I hardly ever throw a wake. LOL!

Wiskers
03-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Just a question,seein' as how you're a tow pilot.Are commercial vessels responsible for damage caused by thier wakes OUTSIDE of the marked channels?

Thanks,
P
Yes sir! You bet we are. There is no telling how many thousands of $ are spent by towboat companys every year for dock, property and boat repair. Not to mention fleet break aways and so on! As a professional Mariner I hold a USCG Master's licence and can be fined big bucks and/or loose my lic. which would cost me a $80,000 to $100,000 a year job!

On the other hand, I also have to maintain a certain amount of headway to insure steering capability. Wind and current are a big factor in determining just how slow I can safely go. Reguardless of the circumstances if I break it I bought it.

We operate on Old Hickery Lake and fiddlefarter can testify that there are hundreds of docks and pleasure craft along our route to TVA Galliton. I know for a fact we've paid to repair docks on that lake.

Pleasure boaters on the otherhand may get a fine but can be and have been made to pay for dock, property, and/or boat repair.

Good Question, Glad you asked it! :D

DC Crappie Kid
03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I think the agression we're displaying in this post is probably why a really smart guy once said "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Maybe He was right...

GRIZZ
03-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Your right DC. Those types of people are too self centered to think of others though. They probably know what the right thing to do is, but don't care. They want others to do whats right unto them, but when it comes to them doing whats right they just do what they want to and the other guys better just watch their backs.

BTW - I like your sig.

Pirogue
03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Wiskers,
I'm kinda glad to hear that.I duck hunt the Mississippi River 45 or so days a season.I've broken skegs and damaged props several times,due to having my boat blind hammered against wing dikes by passing tows.Guess I need to record boat names/tow company,time and date,etc.?
I always just figured it was the hazzard of hunting a navigatible waterway.Thanks !!;)

P

Matt Smith
03-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes sir! You bet we are. There is no telling how many thousands of $ are spent by towboat companys every year for dock, property and boat repair. Not to mention fleet break aways and so on! As a professional Mariner I hold a USCG Master's licence and can be fined big bucks and/or loose my lic. which would cost me a $80,000 to $100,000 a year job!

On the other hand, I also have to maintain a certain amount of headway to insure steering capability. Wind and current are a big factor in determining just how slow I can safely go. Reguardless of the circumstances if I break it I bought it.

We operate on Old Hickery Lake and fiddlefarter can testify that there are hundreds of docks and pleasure craft along our route to TVA Galliton. I know for a fact we've paid to repair docks on that lake.

Pleasure boaters on the otherhand may get a fine but can be and have been made to pay for dock, property, and/or boat repair.

Good Question, Glad you asked it! :D

What boat do you operate on Old Hickory? I fish there a lot, and if I see you, I'd like to tip my hat.

fiddlefarter
03-01-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm sure I've seen you pass by many times, Wiskers. I feel for ya'll in the summer when it's crowded and people are acting crazy. Can't imagine trying to make that turn at Cages Bend Light in that situation.

My granddaddy was a Mariner too, worked on Great Lakes ore boats his whole life. Headed North from TN every spring to work as soon as the ice cleared out then came back home for the winters.

Minnerman
03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
So by you saying the "majority" of bass fishermen are like that, your stating you 'know' most of the bass fishermen?
Thats bullchit! I crappie fish and bass fish, and I will tell you now, there are just as many rude, inconsiderate crappie fishermen as there are bass fishermen. Sure bass fishermen zoom by you. I am glad they do, makes for a lot smaller wake, but I can say that I have never had a bass fishermen to set down right on top of me, although I lost count as to the number of crappie fishermen trying to weasel in between me and my hole.

But the pure fact here is there are azzholes everywhere! Now back to the subject. I agree, Swindle was wrong, VERY wrong and dangerous. He got what he deserved and hopefully, for the safety of other anglers, he has learned a lesson. Time will tell.

Minnerman, just want to say I am not offended by your statement and hope your not by mine, but we both know that azzholes on the water come in different boats for different fish!;)

I am not offended by your statement and I totally agree with you. Your right, I do not know ALL the bass fishermen out there, but the ones I do know and have seen, the majority of THEM are indeed like this. Sure I had rather an idiot run by me wide open verses slowing down when right on me and washing me up in the tree I'm fishing. There are crappie fishermen that are the same way. I've just been washed up on the bank, cussed for keeping bass to eat and ran ahead of an cut off by bass fishermen a heck of alot more than by crappie fishermen. It's just strange you always hear about how a bass fisherman does this and very seldom do you hear of a crappie man doing this. I have a big enough boat now this doesn't bother me nearly as bad now as it does back when I was in a 16'er.

Wiskers
03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
What boat do you operate on Old Hickory? I fish there a lot, and if I see you, I'd like to tip my hat.
I used to run Captain on the M/V David K. Wilson and was in fact on it last trip for a few days filling in for a guy that had a death in the family.

And fiddlefarter you are absolutly right. Thats a tuff little bend when you've got empties and the wind is blowing hard on that rock bluff! I have had several races there! :eek: Lindsey's is another one that'll get your attention! Our job is best described as hours and hour of bordom periodically interrupted by moments of shear terrior! :eek:

Pirogue if your boat is damaged due to the wake of a towing vessel you should contact the company. Just make sure that you have made a reasonable effort to make your boat noticeable. If we don't know it's there we're mak'n miles. If the pilot does see it, he should adjust his speed accordingly. Some of those Lower River boats pile the water up pretty bad. I can see where it could do some damage!

m.t.hands
03-01-2007, 11:20 PM
a little different perspective on the situation from someone that was there, BTW i have no axe to grind either way but howell did motion for swindle to come thru and if i round a corner and your sitting there, i assure you it is better and safer for everyone to continue at a constant speed

Man on the Swindle deal....well...

I had left Howell and was down the river about a quarter mile when Swindle came at us up the river. Howell, Skeet, Swindle, and Tommy Biffle were all fishing the same stretch of water. Skeet, Howell, and Swindle all on the same side.
We cranked up and hauled ass to follow Swindle when he came by us...he had moved from down south and was just getting there. He had fished near the dam the day before, but had decided to wait until later in the morning to come up there the last day.

We cranked up and followed him when he came by us...we had all the photos we needed of the other guys, but needed some shots of Swindle.

At the time Howell had by far the largest contingent of spectator boats watching. Swindle went through the spectator boats, very, very close to the camera boat and another boat. Probably within eight, ten feet....just guessing. I went to the far right of all the boats without any trouble or anything in the way.

When I pulled up on Swindle he asked, "Do you think I got some of those fellas wet when I came through"? And was really just joking around and you could tell did'nt think much of it.

Now this is one dangerous stretch of water...very near the dam and full of rocks/bolders, etc. The water is only about five or six feet deep.

However, he could have, and should have went around everybody, or shut down and idled through.
True you don't make as much of a wake while on the pad...but he probably should have done it a bit different...and actually could have.

BASS really had no choice and his weight for that day was disqualified for an unsafe boating rule. Tournament Director Trip Weldon is a personal friend of the Swindle family...and I can tell you it is one of the last things he wanted to do...or one of the last people on tour he wanted to see be disqualified.

Just a bad deal and a bad split second decision. I felt bad for Swindle and hated to see it happen. The dude was tore down because of it.

the truth of the matter is that the water behind them is really not navigatable water anyway, this guys says 5-6 feet deep, well some of it is only 3-4 and you could stand on the rocks/boulders and not get your knees wet, for him to have shut it down would have caused huge rollers like mentioned about an 8 year old boy in an earlier post, ever been in the drink in febuary, i have, bad things happen very quickly:eek: , we could all do a little better on the water and at the ramps;)

BTW, the quote from above the guy that posted that has some awesome pictures, here they are if your interested

http://www.arkansasducktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=15715

Ranger690
03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Nope! Completely wrong. He should have backed off and idled thru. IF he got waved on, I would bet it was meant to say "you may come thru this lane", but certainly not on plane and that fast. Did you miss the audio of Howell saying "He shouldn't have done that" ? Gerald messed up and it was extremly unsafe.

Dayton

Pirogue
03-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Nope! Completely wrong. He should have backed off and idled thru. IF he got waved on, I would bet it was meant to say "you may come thru this lane", but certainly not on plane and that fast. Did you miss the audio of Howell saying "He shouldn't have done that" ? Gerald messed up and it was extremly unsafe.

Dayton

Howell admitted to motioning for GS to "come on thru".Howell didn't say "He shouldn't have done that" until the camera man in the other boat said "What's up with that?".

P

mrwillis
03-02-2007, 07:03 PM
It still can't be blamed on Howell or the camera man, though. It was Swindle's decision to break the rules.

Ranger690
03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Howell admitted to motioning for GS to "come on thru".Howell didn't say "He shouldn't have done that" until the camera man in the other boat said "What's up with that?".

Wouldn't that be the appropiate time to say it? Right after he did something you didn't expect or agree with? Else, he would have responded to the camera man with something like "that's fine. It's better that way!" But he said "yea, he shouldn't have done that". It makes sense to me.

Also, Howell had a camera pointed at him and wearing a mic. Not the best time to say "Holy Shoot! That was un-bleeping-called for! Freaking moron!" or something to that effect on national TV.

Dayton

Wiskers
03-02-2007, 08:08 PM
They rerun the BMC on ESPN on Saturday morning I think at 8 or 9 am. You can see it again for yourself & make your call. He was wrong!