Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motors

Good morning, all. I spent some time this weekend looking at trolling motors. I've the old evinrude/johnson motors, which I liked real well, and have also had a couple of motor guides. I like the old Motor Guide Brute, because of the low profile pedal. My new(er) Motor Guide has a taller pedal. The only think I'm not crazy about is the breaking cables - doesn't happen often, but when it does, you're pretty much screwed for a bit. I've been looking at the new MinnKotas and Motorguides. I remember the older MinnKota 765s that had the motor in the bracket that moved the head, instead of the normal push-pull cables. They were noisy as hell and I didn't like the racket. Are the new ones quiet? How do they work? It looks like the high end Motor Guide also has a motorized movement and looks suspiciously like the new Minn Kotas. Are they all made by the same people? What do you guys think of the new flat pedals? Particularly on the new high end Minn Kota, it has both a set of left - right buttons and also a push - pull footpedal. It looks like it would be easy to accidentally trigger the left right or thrust buttons since they are behind (toward the heel) from the push pull footpedal. What about the new 3x steering. It seems to me that it would be a little weird til you got used to it. Now I know that everybody seems to like what they're used to (as long as its not breaking all the time) but I'd like to get your views. I'm going to be putting it on an 18' Fisher Marine Grey Thunder boat with a 115 yamahammer. My hull weight is only 680 pounds or so, so it's a fairly light (but really solid) hull. I can pull it okay with the old motorguide, which is only 41 lbs. It is better with the newer 55 lb. motorguide, but I probably don't "need" 90 lbs. Sometimes the extra power is really nice, though. Thanks for your help. See you in Grenada.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, I have yet to find one that I like! I have run them all and after the first year I seem to hate all of them!

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone out there has a used power drive that they want rid of i'd be interested,i would like to try one for trolling but really dont want to spend that much on a new one in case i dont like it.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Power drives are good as long as you aren't trying to hold yourself in high winds. They are great for trolling.

Optimally I'd like to have two motors on the front. One for trollin' (Power drive) and one for spot fishin' (Cable). But time and space dictate only one for now.

As far as Motor Guide. Some like them and some don't. My only experience with MG was on an old boat. That motor would drain a 12v battery in 1/2 a day. I'm sure they are much more efficient now.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinkin the same thing Kit,i was wanting to mount a powerdrive that would be easy to remove when i'm not trolling.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

What is it about the powerdrive that makes it harder to hold in stong winds or that makes it less desireable for spot fishing? Most of my fishing is at Truman, where I'm constantly weaving in and out of brush, circling cedar trees, etc.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

I HAVE RUN 3 MK IN THE LAST 9 YRS.
    A 12 V. 55# AP
    A 12V. 55# HAND CONTROL
    A 24 V. FOOT CONTROL MAX.
    ALL HAVE BEEN GOOD MOTORS--TRADED BOATS---IF I COULD AFFORD IT I WOULD HAVE ALL THREE ON THE BOAT [ROOM]?
    THE 24 V. FOOT CONTROL IS ON THE NEW BOAT NOW --THE ONLY PROBLEM IS LONG PERIODS OF TROLLIN IS HARD ON MY LEGS
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Does the 24V foot control you're using now use push-pull cables, or is it a power drive? Is the powerdrive quick to respond, like a cable driven motor, or does it slowly move around into position? I can see how it would drive you crazy to try to weave around cover if the powerdrive is slow.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to be able to swap the foot control for a power drive when pulling cranks. I was told to try to lock the foot control straight ahead, set the speed, then steer with the big motor. I havent tried but I am going to sometime.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drfishjd
    Does the 24V foot control you're using now use push-pull cables, or is it a power drive? Is the powerdrive quick to respond, like a cable driven motor, or does it slowly move around into position? I can see how it would drive you crazy to try to weave around cover if the powerdrive is slow.
    THE 24 IS CABLE --WORKS GOOD IN TIMBER AND BRUSH PILES
    --AUTOPILOTS ARE TWO SLOW TO REACT [TO SUIT ME] IN TIMBER
    THE AUTOPILOT WAS USED IN FL. TO SPIDER RIG ---MILES OF OPEN WATER--WORKED VERY GOOD

PROLLY A DECENT CROSS WOULD BEEN THE HAND CONTROL
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast