HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine/lower unit problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine/lower unit problem

Ok this maybe a dumb question but I have a 97 merc 2 stroke when I am at the helm running wide open down the lake I have an issue with the engine seems like it is shifting in neutral and running wide open or feeling like I have lost the prop if I put it back in neutral and put back in forward gear runs good until it does it again any advice would like to have it fixed before it warms up

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark your prop shaft and hub with a sharpie..... then go to lake and run your boat like that. When you get through look and see if your marks are still inline......if not your prop hub is slipping or spun on you and you will need to have a new hub pressed in your prop.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes brettw LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Mark your prop shaft and hub with a sharpie..... then go to lake and run your boat like that. When you get through look and see if your marks are still inline......if not your prop hub is slipping or spun on you and you will need to have a new hub pressed in your prop.
    I am new to boat ownership and not sure I follow you on this ok I am guessing you are saying mark the nut or output shaft and the prop to see if they are still in line am I correct in saying that and if they are not I need a new prop

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, mark the hub nut and a mark on the prop it's self. No you do not need a prop. There is a hub in the prop that protects the lower unit if you hit some thing. If it's rubber and is slipping it will have to be pressed out and new one pressed in. If it's one of the newer merc set ups it could have a plastic insert that you can replace yourself.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes brettw LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Yes, mark the hub nut and a mark on the prop it's self. No you do not need a prop. There is a hub in the prop that protects the lower unit if you hit some thing. If it's rubber and is slipping it will have to be pressed out and new one pressed in. If it's one of the newer merc set ups it could have a plastic insert that you can replace yourself.
    Can I check it in a barrel of water

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oobuck View Post
    Can I check it in a barrel of water

I doubt that would work, you need to put a pretty good load on it to get it to shift. But you might take it to a ramp and back it in then power it up while still on trailer and let it run under full power for a few minutes.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I doubt that would work, you need to put a pretty good load on it to get it to shift. But you might take it to a ramp and back it in then power it up while still on trailer and let it run under full power for a few minutes.
    Yeah I didn't think about the load I will have to do it at the ramp all the docks have been pulled around here

Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with with Cray it sounds like you've spun the hub on your prop. This isn't something you can check in a tub. Mark the prop nut and the prop and see if it's spinning. If it is replace the hub or prop.
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is what they are talking about. A spun prop is fairly common.
    Name:  Propeller.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  43.6 KB
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    Here is what they are talking about. A spun prop is fairly common.
    Name:  Propeller.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  43.6 KB
    Thanks Bill I will mark it another question how strong should the stream of water be when I start the engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast