Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ipilot shutting off?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ipilot shutting off?

Here is what has happened last week.
    I have an Ipilot 80lb 24v. I use the remote a lot.
    So last week at a TM only lake I was heading out at #10 speed and about 3-400 yards it shut off. I waited about 5 minutes before it would run again. At first I couldn't go past 2, but then I guess it cooled down and it acted normal the rest of the day.

2 days later I was trolling in a river for about 4 hours and at #5 speed and it shut off again. Like before a few minutes and it came back to life.
    The 60 amp breaker was not tripped either time, but the remote was acting a little squirrely.

Anybody had this problem?
    Or what could this be?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your breaker a automatic reset or one of the manual reset type? First thing I would do is start at batteries, check the connections at battery and the crimp connection between ring eye and wire. Then the connections at the breaker, work forward and check connections at back of female plug, then connections at trolling motor wires to male plug. If that's all ok I would pull head cover and check all the connections under the cover. Might also check or change battery in remote. Sometimes that remote can cause them to shut down if they completely loose power.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thing happen once turning it up to much on a very windy day. I had to unplug and reset itself. I think there is some defect with the motor if you max it out causing it to cut it out. Never really researched, i have also noticed on windy days it will say the battery level is low so i turn it off and lock up, then i check battery level and shows 3/4. Makes me wonder if the combination of these issue is symbolic of a larger issue like the motor thrust performs at a level that batteries cannot sustain. Pretty ignorant on this as i never researched, but your problem is something all have experienced at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

What gauge wire are You using? I would be using 6 gauge unless the distance is real short to the battery. Then You could get by with 8. You can get by with 8 on the 80# as long as You are not pouring the coals to it all the time. Being You are on a tm lake only, I know you have to run it wide open a lot. Heavier gauge wire will help with the draw that full blast for long periods will bring.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

another thing, check behind the prop for fishing line, that can put one heck of a drag on the motor causing it to over heat
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, ipilot = I'm the pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably a protective upgrade
    When Minn Kota first came with the power drive I burned out the power circuit by trying to hold position in strong winds.Recently it happened again in strong currents.
    It seems they have added a protective circuit to prevent the burnouts I experienced

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thing happen to me. Check batteries. Make sure they ate holding a charge. If they are good, how old is the trolling motor? You may need new brushings. I rebuilt mine because my bad batteries, leak from the US2 transducer, and bad brushings burned up the armature and had to replace it all. Wasn't hard. Plenty of youtube videos to show how. Now it runs like a champ. Pulls my fish n ski to 3.5mph.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Its 2.5 yrs old now. Not a lot of hours trolling though, as I mostly bass fish and more saltwater flats. I see some corrosion on the connections to the breaker I am going to change out. I am going to check the plugs and battery connectors also and any with green go!

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use some type of corrosion inhibitor on the connections also like Ox Gard