Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: St .Louis crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default St .Louis crappie

Does anyone know of any good crappie spots around the St. Louis city are? Ive heard Horseshoe lake and Creave Cour lake have a good population. Any input or recommendation on where to try?
    Likes Hookin'&Cookin' LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few spots, but depends what you are looking for.. Busch Wildlife and Creve Cour are accessible by foot, have good numbers, but I haven't gotten size.

Simpson Lake in Valley park has size, but I haven't gotten numbers. I fish it by boat, but most of the areas I find fish you can reach from the bank.

Carlyle in IL, and George Winter Park (Meramec River) in Fenton are two of the better spots for size and number, but you will need a boat. Especially for GW.

Hope this helps.
    Likes CrappieHead LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response mike.... I have a 14ft jon with a 6hp. So it kind of limits me to smaller bodies of water in case weather sets it. I used to fish Carlyle quite a bit before I sold my 20ft champion with 225 on it. Used to kill the catfish and whites!!! Never got into any crappie though. Are there any good spots over there that would be out of the Wind?

Creve cour was always a swing and a miss. Never fished it in a boat but walk around and caught nothing but bluegill.

I grew up in Fenton so fished George winter and Simpson a hand full of times. Only crappie ever caught was from George Winter half way down the river in the pond off to the right. Im sure you know the one I'm talking about.... only accessible in high water. Was catching them on goldfish of all things. Lol.

If you would like to pm me im sure we could swap some spots

Post Thanks / Like

Public areas in the St. Louis area for crappie are tough. A couple of lakes at Busch Wildlife area are pretty decent, but you'll have to be happy with 7-9" fish. (where most will be in the 7-8" range). Simpson can be good at times. Used to fish it all the time. If you catch it right, can be productive. Area's around George Winter Park look great for crappie, but they've always made me work hard for a few bites. I quit going to Creve Coeur years ago, nothing but 5-7" fish.
    If there is water, Sandy Slough up near Winfield can be pretty decent, I've also caught a lot of white bass there. Plus you can walk it.
    I used to fish Dresser Island, but since they levied the island, it seems to have hurt fishing there. Same with Stump Lake past Grafton. Piasa Creek can be good, and right around the Alton Marina I've caught fish. In fact some of my Alton buddies were bragging about the place the last couple of years.
    Closest place I know for a decent chance for good size crappie is the Kaskaskia River between Red Bud and New Athens. Probably a 20 minute drive from the JB Bridge. Fish the oxbows. Though haven't been there in 3-4 yrs. Beware of the Asian Carp they are plentiful. So keep you head up.

Other walkable lakes that have crappie are, Jefferson Lake in Forest Park, one of the lakes in Wilmore Park, and the Lake in Carondelet Park.

those are really the only ones I've ever fished, hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the STL area. I also struggle to find good fishing close to home. I usually head farther out to Rend, LOZ or Mark Twain.

Post Thanks / Like

Valley Park here so going to try Simpson and GW as they are so close when I rig up my kayak. bought a place this year at Lake stl but you have to know someone there and be with them I believe. Have fished LOZ, Mark twain and Thomas hill, all of which have good fish in them. would like to find places closer myself, tho I am going to do LSL quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info wharf. I guess the story continues on small fish in the st.louis area. I have certain lakes/ponds i can go to and catch them 4-6" about every cast. Funny u mentioned Willmore Park. That place has more dinks in it and I have ever seen. It's fun for the first half hour but then gets old after catching crappie smaller than bluegills. Lol. Still not bad being a 5 min drive for me to get my fix though. I was hoping creve cour would have better results from it but, i guess that daves me a trip. Anyone ever try horseshoe?

Post Thanks / Like

I only fished horseshoe lake once. Late 80's. I remember it being kind of cold. Either me or my buddy's first catch was a nice one about 13" or so, but don't think we caught anymore over 8". At the time, there was a lot of laydowns along the shore, plus a lot of brush near the duck blinds. Don't know how it's been lately, might hop over to the Illinois board and see if anyone reports on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Horshoe is a good lake when u can find them. The duck blinds always hold fish. The far west end has some warm water flowing in from the steel plant. That end is a little deeper with some brush on the banks. The state has cut way back on upkeep. I and lock your doors I've had some stuff taken. Also old and new Gillespie have a boat load of crappie. But of the 80 u catch and you will catch a bunch most are 8 inches. If your meat fishin it works because they have no limit. Vandalia is about the same distance as Carlyle. They have some nice fish and your boat can handle Gillespie and Vandalia with a 6 hp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The fish you release may be a kids fish of a lifetime!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback Rod. That sounds like a great lake that ill have to try out when the weather breaks!