Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: warm weather = no fish

Post Thanks / Like

Angry warm weather = no fish

Anyone know how suspended crappie react to warmer weather? I caught fish at 12 - 15 feet near the dam in sub-freezing weather for the last 2 wks. It had warmed up and there gone!!! I dont have a boat so who knows where they went. Any ideas?
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

from my experience thay havent gone far. probably went to some nearby shallower water if you can find it. im getting some good action in 6 to 10ft water right now. do you know how much the water has warmed up in that area? last weekend we were still around 43f but that is up a couple degrees from weeks past. im realizing more and more how key those few degrees in water temp will move them

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes Crappie move vertically when it warms. They may still be in the same water depth just suspended higher.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I know that when the water is in the low 50 degree range you can catch them in 6 to 10 feet of water. Once the temps get down in the mid 40s and below they will move deeper but most of the time deep water is too deep in my area. Sounds like you fish water that has depth similar to what I fish. Fish 4 to 8 feet depth of water in the summer in more open areas where wind can generate oxygen in water. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Found them. Same spot just deeper. GO FIGURE. Maby thats why I like fishing for them.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Seth, are you cast and count down or using a slip cork, jig or minnow? Jim
    "Be very kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    — St. Philo of Alexandra

Post Thanks / Like

Did the warm up come with bright skies? They may have dropped down due to more sunlight penetration or a cold front. If there is wood cover that stiks out of the water, you might want to try shallow when the sun is beating on it. Even in cold water, crappie sometimes move in and hang next to the wood or rocks where the sun is warming it and in turn the water around it. I've caught crappie in 45 degree water as shallow as 3-4 feet against sun drenched wood when we were catching them in 12 plus feet the day before.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grizmck
    Seth, are you cast and count down or using a slip cork, jig or minnow? Jim
    Im using a slip cork when I can. If the wind is high and the water is choppy, I cast for them.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Im using jigs, cheaper than the 3.25 a dozen crap.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick
    Did the warm up come with bright skies? They may have dropped down due to more sunlight penetration or a cold front. If there is wood cover that stiks out of the water, you might want to try shallow when the sun is beating on it. Even in cold water, crappie sometimes move in and hang next to the wood or rocks where the sun is warming it and in turn the water around it. I've caught crappie in 45 degree water as shallow as 3-4 feet against sun drenched wood when we were catching them in 12 plus feet the day before.
    Im not sure what happened. A cold frount came through and everyone was catching them. We caught 40 thursday in 2 hrs. When we came back Friday there were 8 trucks parked at my spot. Everyone had fish. When the frount came on through, they turned off again.

Seth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast