HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a shiny new 14' hull...beginning to put the rest together.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picked up a shiny new 14' hull...beginning to put the rest together.

Just bought a new Alweld 1448 (along with a Magic Tilt trailer) and I'm slowly putting all the pieces together and "making it my own". Picked it up at Hanko's Metal Works in Berwick, LA last week. I haven't motored around in jon since I was a teenager and I'm looking forward to catching plenty of bream and catfish with my 5 year old over the coming years. I will be fishing slow bayous, marshes and the occasional small lake.

My Tohatsu 20 electric start tiller should be here next week and I'm pretty excited about it. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Right now the hull is at a shop having a 3/16" smooth deck welded in the full length from bow to stern. I chose aluminum over marine plywood because I'm trying to keep the weight down. Also, going to have a bow deck shelf fabricated to extend the deck back about 10". This flush mounted shelf will extend the deck depth from 38" to 48" and will give me a secure place underneath the shelf to mount my battery (or two). That's the reason I ran a #4 AWG pair from bow to stern, along with a smaller pair for a bow light and a pull string for future use if needed. I'm moving the battery forward because a lot of the time I will be fishing along and this will help balance the load from the start.

Just got the cast aluminum bow seat base and a pair of 5" cleats in the mail today. They are manufactured by Hillside Castings who supply Alweld with some of their factory parts. The quality looks very, very good.

I will probably be purchasing a sheet or two of Hydro Turf to install on the bow, the stern seat top and the soon-to-be completed deck. I would like to leave the rest of the interior and exterior bare aluminum because I love the look of unpainted aluminum.

Anyway, here are a few pics. I'll post more as the build continues. Tips and suggestions are welcome...

Waiting for the forklift. Mine is the 20" transom, on the bottom.

Got her home.

The #4 THHN wire is protected by PVC sleeves secured with silicone. Also ran a #14 THHN pair for the bow light plug and a pull string for possible future use.

Cast aluminum seat base and cleats.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sharp boat. I guarantee you will git tennis elbow keeping it shiny.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! Yeah, I know it will oxidize with time. But that will just give it a nice patina. I don't plan on trying to keep it shiny.

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice boat that is the way to do it buy it bare and then customize it. I know you and your son will have plenty of memories made in it.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great looking project ...

This is more expensive than turf ... But it's good stuff ...

https://www.styx-river.com/products/...&subcategory=6

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Thanks UpperTully thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna be a heck of a ride when you're done. Lots of luck and good trips with the boy.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you join tinboats.net a forum about tin (aluminum) boats. Many great ideas and experiences to be had there.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Before you put the Hydro Turf in, look at spray on vinyl like Rhino Liner. Carpet looks good for a couple of years while it's new.
    Vinyl is quickly cleaned, doesn't stay wet, hooks don't hang in it, and doesn't need replacing if it is installed properly. I've had
    both and prefer the vinyl hands down. The other side of that, if it was my boat, I'd fix it the way wanted to.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

You're gonna have a blast with that when it's all rigged up.
    Enjoy the heck out of it!
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

that's a super nice looking boat ....congrats
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast