Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville: Blue-green algae outbreak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville: Blue-green algae outbreak

SMITHVILLE, Mo. -- Two beaches at Smithville Lake are closed due to a blue-green algae outbreak.
    With the closure no swimming will be allowed at Camp Branch and Little Patte. Little Platte boat ramp and Camp Branch Marina will also be closed.
    The Army Corps of Engineers and the Health Department made the decision to close parts of the lake over the weekend.
    The algae can be dangerous to humans and pets. Having contact with the algae can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, breathing problems and other unexplained illnesses.
    According to Clay County Sheriff's Dispatchers, the lake itself is not off limits to boaters.
    It is not clear when the beaches will reopen.

Post Thanks / Like

This is on Clay County's website:
    ADVISORY: Swimming is not recommended at Smithville Lake beaches at Camp Branch and Little Platte. Recently taken water samples show elevated levels of E. Coli following recent heavy rain. Clay County is working with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. We will inform you through our website and social media when the advisory has been lifted.
    Likes dfar LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

OK. Makes sense now, saw some guys in a Tracker type boat in Shadow Hollow cove today, as I was trying to get out of the wind, and looked like they were taking samples of some kind. I didn't jump in the water because I am an invasive species!
    Likes vic n, MontanaBoy, dfar LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm. I thought that water tasted kinda different after boating and swimming last night! Well, we were way up river from the beaches and that third eye I'm growing may in fact, some day become a fashion "thing". We will see!

Much to my chagrin, as we were floating north of the "W Bridge"...I'm not going to describe which w bridge it was....our peace was severely disturbed by two maniacs on a motorcycle going eastbound on W highway. They were honking and revving their Harley and almost fell off as they were waving at us. Let's just say, I think their name might rhyme with "Schmeefer"!!!!!!

Maybe he was honking in morse code saying "Hey knucklehead....you are swimming in a lake infested with feces"!!!!!!

Anyone have any idea when the numbness goes away after that kind of "exposure"??????

Oh well, I grew up swimming in oxbow lakes that maybe got about 6' deep at the deepest. I'm sure I was exposed to much worse!!!

I believe in catch and release.....right into the grease!!!!!
    Likes vic n, dfar, Jigging15 LIKED above post

keeferfish is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought we seen Nessise swimming at Smithville last night on our motorcycle ride. I honked and revved my motor to warn the Lock Ness Monster Of the algae situation but noticed it was Mark so just drove on by.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    Thought we seen Nessise swimming at Smithville last night on our motorcycle ride. I honked and revved my motor to warn the Lock Ness Monster Of the algae situation but noticed it was Mark so just drove on by.
    Note to self....research the state statutes regarding "Disturbing the peace" at Smithville Lake!!!!!
    I believe in catch and release.....right into the grease!!!!!

keeferfish is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost arrested tonight by a Clay County Sheriff due to a noise complaint. Once I explained the Chupacabra swimming in fecal matter at Smithville he let me go.
    Likes Jigging15 LIKED above post