Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: "Crappie Condos"...prime locations....?

Post Thanks / Like

Question "Crappie Condos"...prime locations....?

OK...thanx for all the info so far...one last question to you guys who do this: in your opinion(s), what would be the bottom characteristics in a location where you would put your attractors? I don't wanna go thru all this work and drop 'em where they won't do much good...flat bottom near channel dropoffs? off points? near brush/trees along the shore? in the middle of a selcuded cove outta the wind? Recommended depth? Any suggestions would be appreciated...thanks, fellas...

Bushrod

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I do....keep in mind I'm in canada.
    I look for steep drop offs from shore and I like to see a depth of 25 - 28 ft.
    It is nice if there is quick access to a shallow bay
    Use depthfinder to see if there aready is a crappie population in the area.
    A crappie condo ,shelter, ect probably is not going to draw crappie to an area that does not aready have other reasons for them being there.
    Droping a shelter in where there aready is a scattered population will draw those fish in.
    Finally you are going to have to pic a couple of different spots that at least one can be fished regardless of wind direction.
    Just my thoughts
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the most productive structure we've found to put cover on are points that extend gradually into deep channels and drop off steeply on each side, especially where two channels come together. By placing cover at different depths down the point we provide a situation where crappie that are using the channels in their daily and seasonal movements can easily find the cover and move up and down the point to different depths to adjust for daily and seasonal depth preferences and lake level fluctuations.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com