Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Trolling Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Trolling Motor

I currently have a Motorguide X3, 70lbs on a Lowe Stinger 175. I find it to be a little too much of a motor for the boat. By this I mean in the lowest speed, it still goes to fast to keep the boat working slowly trough the trees when trying to dip timber. I have to continually kick it on just for a second and it really jerks the boat around. My question is this, do you all think that going to a Minnkota with the variable speed (Fortrex) would help? Even though the Minnkota is actually a bigger motor, 80 lbs, will the variable speed allow me to throttle down the speed to work around timber better than the single high speed of the Motorguide. I want to stay 24V for the longevity of the battery charge. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank for your input and have a Great Weekend!
    Iron Sharpens Iron, and one man sharpens another.
    Proverbs27:17

Post Thanks / Like

Variable speed is the only way to go. I will have a 75 lb motor guide touring edition with variable speed that is about 6 months old available in the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The variable speed is great.
    mine is motor guide with hand controll and love the variable speed. It is also like 109 pounds thrust.
    even if you have to kickit on and off it will be smoother.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a variable speed Minn Kota 24-volt. It will barely move my 18-foot boat at the bottom of the range...

Post Thanks / Like

Variable speed can be set as low as you need, but before you sink a ton of ca$h into a new motor you might do some research on the electronics forum for a DIY solution that will work with your current motor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper View Post
    Variable speed is the only way to go. I will have a 75 lb motor guide touring edition with variable speed that is about 6 months old available in the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lip Ripper, why are you changing and what are you changing too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Back Water View Post
    Lip Ripper, why are you changing and what are you changing too?
    I'm switching it out to a minn kota 80lb fortrex. This trolling motor came on my boat and I've always had minn kota. I also work for Crappie Masters and minn kota is a sponsor of ours, so I need to be prepresenting...lol. also want to put the interchangeable plate on so I can switch between the fortrex and the terrova.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper View Post
    I'm switching it out to a minn kota 80lb fortrex. This trolling motor came on my boat and I've always had minn kota. I also work for Crappie Masters and minn kota is a sponsor of ours, so I need to be prepresenting...lol. also want to put the interchangeable plate on so I can switch between the fortrex and the terrova.
    I see. That's the minnkota I was thinking about. What is the shaft length on the MG? How much you looking to get for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Back Water View Post
    I see. That's the minnkota I was thinking about. What is the shaft length on the MG? How much you looking to get for it?
    45..$700.

Post Thanks / Like

Where you located?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast