Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truman Lake Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truman Lake Advice

im going to fish a small crappie tournament at Truman in late april.....never fished there.....havnt been there since i was a kid infact.....at my home lake Mark Twain, i jig with a jigging rod, tree to tree, just jigging around.....is this method going to work there?....im sure its going to depend on the weather, and such how the fish are biting and where they are.....but any advice would be appreciated....not planning on winning....but would like to atleast bring home some slabs!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i would look for fish from the mouth of the grand/tebo up to claer creek,thats jmo--slyder
    slyder-man

if you cannot run with the big-dogs then

keep your pooch on the porch!!:p :p

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jigging the trees will work. You may be there at a good time to really catch some fish. Depending on weather and water temps. you may find some fish on the banks. I will be fishing in a work tournament at bucksaw on the 28th. And camping there for a few days before it. Clear creek area is good. BUt I prefer the Osage and Grand arms. I just started fishing the Osage this last summer after the spawn but put some real nice fish in the boat from there.What marina is your tournament out of that will be the deciding facter on where to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

That wouldn't be the Ferguson tourn. would it?

Post Thanks / Like

Upper Osage or Upper Grand.
    You will be right at home with that tequnique.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truman tactics

At that time of year you should be well into the spawn in most parts of the lake. You can get them with slip floats and jigs set at 20" on the bank, or crappie sliders in 3-5' of water in the spawning areas. If they are drawing down the lake at that time (they usually don't as much as they used to) or if fronts are blowing through, dip the cedar and hedge trees close to the spawning areas, and you'll be in for some limits of huge crappie. Be sure to ask someone you trust where the spawn in at its best, because it starts upstream and moves its way towards the dam from about 4/1 through 4/24. If you're catching alot of 9" fish on the bank, my suggestion would be to move out from the beds and onto the trees, or move downstream. A whole bunch of females go back to the summer pattern along the creek channel earlier than you'd think, sometimes in second to third week of April, so don't forget to check summer pattern spots as you go by. You could be in for a pleasant surprise. Good luck - see you on the water.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish pea gravel banks. By then they should be shallow (depending on the weather). If the weather has been warm, fish the shallows hard. My favorite color is a pink head w/ blk&charteuse tail or a solid charteuse body one a orange or black head. Just my 2 pennies!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiencali
    Fish pea gravel banks. By then they should be shallow (depending on the weather). If the weather has been warm, fish the shallows hard. My favorite color is a pink head w/ blk&charteuse tail or a solid charteuse body one a orange or black head. Just my 2 pennies!
    Good choice Dave.
    I hammer fire red(orange) black and chart.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the advice guys....as for the guys that were asking what tournament.....its a tournament for missouri department of transportation....my buddy works there.....were just planning on having some fun....he didnt tell me which ramp we take off from...just when it was..thanks again for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know when you find out which ramp.
    If it is a trailer tourey we can help ya out also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast