Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First try at tying

Post Thanks / Like

Default First try at tying

Just started tying jigs and it is a good way to relax. I am hooked already. Here is a pic of my first jigs I have tied.:D

Now let me explain. These were pretty nice jigs, in my opinion, but unfortunately they had an accident. I put them in a glass of H2O to see if the color on the feathers would bleed, told my wife NOT to poor the glass out, and went to work. Well she forgot. The fish didn't get a chance to bite but the garbage disposal chewed on them real good , but on the up side I changed the way I was tying them and have ended up with these.

So what do you think?
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

Post Thanks / Like

look like they'll catchem to me...are u usin some kinda rubber on some of them? i use it a lot on the brim flies i ty but ain't tried it for crappie..let us know how it works. been tyin for 35 yrs...still a thrill to catchem on sumthin u made!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope your disposal made it o.k.. Those must have been rough on it. The ones in the #2 picture look like they would get a good mess of fish. lol

Post Thanks / Like

The rubber that I used was robbed from some spinnerbait skirts I had.
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good. I think I'll tie a few tonight myself. I need a relaxer for a bit

Post Thanks / Like

I was feelin sorry for you and thinkin - dang those are the ugliest jigs I've ever seen or man I'd like to see the crappies that did that.

The second pic is great. Nice work. I like these dry fly/crappie jig hybrids you guys are tying.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I was starting to feel sorry for ya until I read about the garbage disposal, then I had such a good laugh!!!
    I think you'll catch fish on the second batch of jigs, but they look like something from another planet. I think the fish will hit them just to see what this wierd bug tastes like??? Very cool style. Hope you knock em dead with your new jigs.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering why the first batch looked chewed up. (Thought) Maybe he was bending the hooks to get to the hook better or something. What a hoot! Your doing a great job with tying. Never would have thought about the rubber skirt. May have to try that myself. Like the colors too.
    You can't finish what you don't start