PDA

View Full Version : what line weight do you use for jigs

avidone1
04-26-2016, 09:24 PM
I'm talking about casting and retrieving classic crappie jigs
I would think 8 lb test stren or trilene xl would be as high as you would want to go?
For fishing under a bobber I would think 6 pound.
What do you actually use?

Cray
04-26-2016, 09:39 PM
I think it's all relative to what kind of area you fish, water clarity, obstructions, that sort of thing. In your area that's probably fine, up here in some areas you'd never land a fish. I use 12/2 braid mostly for that kind of fishing in Buck brush, stump beds trees that sort of stuff.

RiverSlabber
04-27-2016, 05:36 AM
I use Suffix 6lb high visibility yellow for everything. Definately enough for crappie in my opinion but im fishing floats and pitching jigs around trees. I could probably drop to 4 lb without any issues. If your fishing heavy brush youd probably want something like what cray uses.

Spider rigging, pushing cranks.....inhave no idea :dono Never done it.

Crestliner08
04-27-2016, 06:09 AM
Depends solely on the water and type of cover you are fishing. I'd go as light as possible in order to give you the greatest casting distance. Same for float fishing. However, consider a braid for your main line, vs. mono. It will increase your casting distance as well as your sensitivity to bites. Using a fluorocarbon leader will enhanse abrasion resistance, as well as reduced visibility, if that is a concern in your waters.

I do not fish snaggy/brush infested waters. I'm not fishing trees or cribs. Strictly open water here with some shoreline weeds. Water here is relatively clear as well. Consequently, I use 2# test Fireline Crystal with a four foot, 4# test fluorocarbon leader, joined with an Alberto knot. Been using this combination for many years now, quite successfully I might add. This may not work in your case, especially if you have snags to contend with. But I assure you, this combination will take big fish as well as many crappie, perch & gills. This picture is from last weekend:

Smoltz
04-27-2016, 06:15 AM
4 lb test.
I even fish down trees allot. I rarely loose a fish due to line. I usually miss fish on a hook set or they just pop off hook.

avidone1
04-27-2016, 06:38 AM
4 lb test.
I even fish down trees allot. I rarely loose a fish due to line. I usually miss fish on a hook set or they just pop off hook.
I was expecting more answers like this one. I guess crappie are not especially line shy but as a rule of thumb the lighter the better??

deathb4disco
04-27-2016, 06:43 AM
4 lb test.

This ^^^^^^

Also, remember that most lines are stronger than what the package says. The typical 4# line will break at around 6# of pressure.

huntinslabs
04-27-2016, 06:45 AM
4lb Trilene XL

lowe175
04-27-2016, 07:35 AM
The smallest you can get away with, I use 4lb and 6lb.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

LOZ Targa
04-27-2016, 08:34 AM
I use 4lb and 6 lb Vicious Panfish high vis casting and shooting docks. I have to drag fish over cables and chains and out of holes around boat lifts, very rarely break a fish of. Sometimes have a hard time breaking the line when I get hung up on something.

msmith1911
04-27-2016, 05:33 PM
4 lb test.

Same here. Sometimes I get snagged and have to break the line and start over. That's fishing.

Boh
04-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Got one rod rigged with 4# and one with 6#.

Spoonminnow
04-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Jig head wt. determines which test
1/32 4#
1/16 - 1/8 6#
I want the line diameter to allow the jig to have the best action possible without a lot of bowing on the retrieve. (there is no such thing as line shy fish no matter the species)

I also like braid for long cast hook sets, but always use mono or fc leaders with it in 4-6 # test

Smoltz
04-27-2016, 08:29 PM
The reason for the 4 lb is casting distance. Now it don't matter as much when vertical jigging. But casting jigs it does. A big differance in casting distance between 4 and 6 lb test. ESP when like me I cast 1/32 and 1/16 jigs almost exclusively. You toss on a 1/8 and you can throw it a country mile.
You lures and jigs have more action with lighter line also.
One of my favorite lines Is pline cxx.. It's some tough 4lb test.

I got a 16 incher last year and it was no problem on 4lb.

Spoonminnow
04-27-2016, 08:44 PM
Just started using P Line and like it! Other than that, Trilene XL or Suffix mono.

Royalwapiti
04-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Good question. I am a noobie and am casting in and around brush piles. I use a trilene 6lb. It came on some reels I bought from the Berkley outlet store. I will probably replace with 4 pound Trilene XL later this year. I am throwing 1/32oz jigs. Snags are common, never break line pulling fish. Hesitate to put expensive line on my existing reels when I lose it to snags, ha, also it would cost more than the reel!

TwainGang
04-27-2016, 10:26 PM
I usually use 8 pound for my casting and slip-bobber rigs. Anything less and I can't straighten out my hooks when they snag. My long pole rods I use braid, so no problem with that line- may be 6 pound diameter and whatever the corresponding pound test that it ends up being.

Ketchn
04-28-2016, 06:21 AM
most of my mono rods have 6 lb test on them .....i am pretty tough on fish and equipment and break 4 lb off frequent enough to make it a must in most cases .
i also use a few braid rods that have 12 lb braid on them that is about the diameter of 6 pound test . most of the time i am jiggin with 1/32 or 1/16 ....
but never say never and yes i do pitch some 4 lb mono every once in a while

slabsrus
04-28-2016, 08:23 AM
Nothing but 4 pound line for me, and I am strictly a jig fisherman. Casts jigs as light as 1/80 ounce but strong enough to hold up to some very large fish.

CrappiePappy
04-28-2016, 12:52 PM
6lb test hi-vis Vicious Panfish copoly for me. Used to use 4lb Stren Gold, but switched up after trying the Vicious that a member friend of mine gave me. Haven't considered using anything else, since the switch. Can still cast 1/32 & 1/16oz jigs just as far, and don't break off as often as with the 4lb test. :twocents

Kevin22
04-29-2016, 12:09 PM
2, 3, and 4. I never use over 4 for casting. Up to 10# works well for vertical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ad1974
04-29-2016, 03:16 PM
I like the vicious 6 lb the best too,I use the hi vis so I can see it.

slackline
04-29-2016, 08:49 PM
I have yet to try the Viscious. I have been using Mr Crappie 6# hi vis. The only thing I have an issue with is that it seems to need Reel Magic more often than other lines I have tried.

I used to use P-line almost exclusively. Two years ago I bought a new spool of 6# at Academy that was the worst I have ever used. Every time I set the hook the line would break at the water line. I could see palm sized bluegill eat the jig and the line would pop right where the air meets the water when I set the hook.