PDA

View Full Version : Boat control in wind

no luck
04-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Do any of you have a trick or 2 how to slow your boat down when it is windy ? Cain't always fish into the wind

ppowell
04-26-2016, 12:34 PM
What kind of boat we talking?

Here's something I plan to try....dragging an anchor behind the boat.

When you drag the anchor behind you it keeps the backend from swinging around and you can still maneuver the boat with front trolling motor.

Last winter it got so windy I was dragging an anchor around from the front of the boat. I was also fishing from the front. Didn't catch much, when I got home and thought about it....dragging an anchor through the fish probably wasn't the best idea.

quadlee
04-26-2016, 01:01 PM
log chains, drift socks, or like ppowell said, drag an anchor, but drag it behind you

wannabe fisherman
04-26-2016, 01:59 PM
only problem I see with dragging something behind your boat is that you're tearing up any structure that happens to be down there where your whatever is dragging. The fish NEED that structure so be careful where you drag something

no luck
04-26-2016, 05:05 PM
I have a 18 foot boat

"G"
04-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Two 60 inch drift socks off each side at back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

fiveeyes
04-26-2016, 06:45 PM
drift socks..I have two..bigger one goes on the front, which catches more wind..and yes, it can be frustrating at times:yikes

Cray
04-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Drift socks and fish with the wind. Get to end of run, pull socks and motor back up and do it again. Catch way more fish than fighting back up wind with trolling motor.

Hanr3
04-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Remember, Crappie face the current to watch for food, and more than likely so they don't get hit by debris.

Joey Clark
04-27-2016, 05:13 AM
Look at cornfield crappie products. The drift paddles

quadlee
04-27-2016, 07:59 AM
Look at cornfield crappie products. The drift paddles

how well do these work ?

M R Dux
04-27-2016, 10:48 AM
how well do these work ?
They work great. Mark has put a lot of thought and work into them and everyone who I have heard using them have been very happy plus the price is way lower than the paddles for the Talons or Power Poles.

He goes by cajun fryer on the KY and IL forums.

cajun fryer
04-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Check out my page www.cornfiedcrappiegear.com and FB page corn field crappie gear. I also have some pictures here on CDC in the Member sponsor classifieds
I have 2 guys fishing crappie masters events that are using the Drift'R paddles. They have put them in the mud and hung them on the stumps at Grenada with no problems. They hold up great and work very well.
There are also 2 guides on Ky lake using the paddles Bufflo13 and wiskers . Bad Brad at ky lake and Barren all CDC members running them on there boats.
We have a setup for a jack plate boat and a non jack plate setup.
ATTACH=CONFIG]236981[/ATTACH]236982
They are manually operated pull the rope to put them in pull the rope to pull them out they lock into place. Takes 10 min to install brackets on the boat. Once they are installed you add the paddles. If you are not going to need paddles then pull one pin to remove paddles place them in the pick up truck or they fit in the storage compartment on my Ranger Z 20 Takes only a seconds to put paddles on or remove.

cajun fryer
04-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Any questions shoot me a PM glad to help
There are a set of paddles at 5 rivers Taxidermy in the show room Benton KY
Hi Tech outdoors on HWY 68 Benton Ky is a dealer and will install them on your boat.

Davedirt
04-27-2016, 11:43 AM
236983This is my friends invention. Patent pending and in production at the moment.
AQUABRAKES as soon as he has them ready I will post up more pics.

quadlee
04-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Check out my page www.cornfiedcrappiegear.com (http://www.cornfiedcrappiegear.com) and FB page corn field crappie gear. I also have some pictures here on CDC in the Member sponsor classifieds
I have 2 guys fishing crappie masters events that are using the Drift'R paddles. They have put them in the mud and hung them on the stumps at Grenada with no problems. They hold up great and work very well.
There are also 2 guides on Ky lake using the paddles Bufflo13 and wiskers . Bad Brad at ky lake and Barren all CDC members running them on there boats.
We have a setup for a jack plate boat and a non jack plate setup.
ATTACH=CONFIG]236981[/ATTACH]236982
They are manually operated pull the rope to put them in pull the rope to pull them out they lock into place. Takes 10 min to install brackets on the boat. Once they are installed you add the paddles. If you are not going to need paddles then pull one pin to remove paddles place them in the pick up truck or they fit in the storage compartment on my Ranger Z 20 Takes only a seconds to put paddles on or remove.

how much will they slow the boat > i have a 18/60 wareagle. can i achieve .3 or .4 mph with a 15mph + wind ? if so i think they could be a great addition to have on my boat while drifting reelfoot. At ky lake i usually fish man made structure. so prolly not much use for me there since i dont drift that lake often unless im ling line trolling.

cajun fryer
04-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Yes I can get that with my 20' glass boat.

quadlee
04-27-2016, 12:55 PM
thank you, will strongly consider these before nest spring

Wiskers
04-27-2016, 08:38 PM
how well do these work ?

They work GREAT! I've got a set on a 21' ProCraft. They will hold you back!

You need to yell at Cajun Fryer. Heck... Come get in my boat and see what they'll do.