Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hitting Smithville lake this week, bait opinions!?!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hitting Smithville lake this week, bait opinions!?!

Hey guys, I've been hearing a lot of folks catching crappie with jigs recently at Smithville. I'm very new to it and bought many varieties. I'm going to also bring Minnows. I have 9 types of jigs/lures in the pic. From leftto right counting from 1-9, which ones do you guys recommend? Should I attach two onto a line under a bobber? Fishing from the bank by the way. I have some rooster tails, should I give them a shot? Also do rooster tails work under a bobber? Any opinions/advice would really help, thanks!

!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  18.2 KB
    Likes DesertBerry LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would use #3 and #5. Cast at a 45 deg. Angle from the bank with a very slow retrieve.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! With a bobber or no bobber?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never caught a crappie on a rooster tail. But then again, I haven't tried. I'm sure it can be done? But I would reach for #3-5 first, #2 then #1 only after having put the others into a tree.

You could probably put any of the first 5 under a bobber (I would never put a rooster tail under a bobber). Bear in mind you'll lose any action from the twist-tails (and the spinner on the roadrunner) if you're not swimming it. But...the times I fish a jig under a bobber, it's usually because the fish want it still or moving SO slow that you're bumping the bottom. Putting a jig under a bobber just allows me to slowly draw that through cover and pick up suspended fish. So if I were doing that, I'd use #2 or 3 first.

At Smithville, you're going to have better luck with a minnow anyway.

Likes MustangJimmy816 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
    I've never caught a crappie on a rooster tail. But then again, I haven't tried. I'm sure it can be done? But I would reach for #3-5 first, #2 then #1 only after having put the others into a tree.

You could probably put any of the first 5 under a bobber (I would never put a rooster tail under a bobber). Bear in mind you'll lose any action from the twist-tails (and the spinner on the roadrunner) if you're not swimming it. But...the times I fish a jig under a bobber, it's usually because the fish want it still or moving SO slow that you're bumping the bottom. Putting a jig under a bobber just allows me to slowly draw that through cover and pick up suspended fish. So if I were doing that, I'd use #2 or 3 first.

At Smithville, you're going to have better luck with a minnow anyway.
    This time of the year you could use any of the first five . I would change colors till I find the one that works . My choice would be the small roadrunner !!!!!! without bobber .
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta agree any of the first five would work, the black/chart tube #4 I have good luck with that one. For me during the spawn on Smithville minnows seem to work better and jigs do better as the weather warms up.

jigfisherx is online now Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Love #3. If you have a 10 or 11 foot rod just put about 5 feet of line out and dip around any rocks or wood you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
    I've never caught a crappie.
    Could have stopped right there Joe!

#5 is my vote but should be blue and chartreuse.

Post Thanks / Like

#5 (but chartreuse and pink) has been the ticket for me the last couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like

2,3,4 or 5. Just don't change the oil in your car or replace a fuel line on your boat before fishing! All of those work pretty good under a bobber, but I'm more of a chucker and winder guy myself!