Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dad Catches His Biggest Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dad Catches His Biggest Crappie

So now that winter has officially gone, and the temperature has been steady in the mid to upper 50s and 60s for the past week and a half, the water temperature has climbed into the low to mid 50s and the crappie have started to come into the bays and canals. With that being the case, I figured it yesterday would be a good day to take my father out in the kayak for an hour or so in the late morning. Well that turned out to be a great idea. My father isn't an avid fisherman by any means, in fact, yesterday was the first time in three years that he has fished so it was nice to just have him join me in the kayak. The first spot we tried was uneventful with us only getting a couple bites and not landing a fish. At the second spot however, I immediately landed a 13 1/2 incher and then my father landed a 12 1/2 inch slab that was his largest ever. We released all of them and called it good after an hour or so. When I dropped my father off it was still only 2:00 pm so I decided to check out another section of the lake to see how the fish were doing in a different part of the lake. What a great idea that was. I got into slabs right away and thought I would go ahead and take a few home for a fish fry. I landed 58 total, with all but 11 of them being over 10 inches. 30 of them were between 10 and 12 inches, 14 were 12 - 13 inches, 2 were 13 - 14 inches, and one was 14 1/8. I kept 15 crappies, a couple big ones and a mess of medium ones, and two good bluegills, releasing the rest to live another day.Name:  DSCN2206.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  95.8 KBName:  DSCN2209.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  108.2 KBName:  DSCN2212 - Copy.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  65.2 KBName:  DSCN2216.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  60.6 KBName:  DSCN2218.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  47.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D
    Likes ILRiverRat, RetiredRR, STUMP HUNTER LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic!!! Congrats.... great pix too!

Post Thanks / Like

Good report and thanks for taking your dad out fishing. Great photos too.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish and it sounds like a good time was had by all. Loved the pics.
    FISH ON