Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's Catch

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Today's Catch

Long lined for about 4 hrs today, 5 to 10' of water in a Res. in southern Indiana and caught about 40 total and kept 17 all 10" to 14". Threw back about 20 that were 9 to 10" each. Speed was 0.6 mph to 1.0 mph, constantly staggering the speed,,using a 1/16 chartruese road runner with chartreuse tube injected with crappie nibbles. Bite was awesome and they were moving up onto flats from deeper water. Water surface temp was 65 then later on all the way to 67. Water was stained a dash. No breeze,,back side of the high,,front side of the low pressure system and I am betting tomorrow will be even better so taking the wife and seeing if she can catch a few. Will keep you posted, but its starting finally. Females were full of eggs but no way ready to spawn and that won't be for a good while. Quite a few crappie fishermen were fishing the banks and moving quite a bit, catching dinks mostly,,while I was the only person long lining and I was a good 50 to 100 yds out from the banks and points.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by cevans; 04-19-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Cevans!

It sure was an awesome day on the water yesterday. I limited out caught most of them in a 2 hours once I found what they wanted. Can't say I have ever seen crappie as aggressive as they were at that time. One time I saw a swarm of at least a 6 crappie come to my jig. I got mine with jig and bobber. Most were in the 10 1/2", 11" range. It sure is a lot more fun catching and eating than cleaning them. But I was really tired when I got around to it planted some garden work first.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice bunch! I have been finding the bigger fish away from the banks too. There are lots of fish in thin water but not the size. We have been swimming or pulling jigs and catching but I think they will hit no matter how you present the lure or bait. I have fished three lakes in five days and they are about the same. Bass have been going crazy too. Was going to work in the garden today but changed my mind, just gotta go find some crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Way to catch em!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice bunch of fish. Thanks for sharing the pics and info.

Post Thanks / Like

Good report, just a little bit south of you they are on the banks with their tuxedos on
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch nice memories
    Indiana Crappie Federation Moderator

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wind was out of the east this morning and swells were about 1.5 to 2 ft. and fishing till about 10 am was pretty rough on boat control. Wife didn't go, kept 14 today from 10 to 14 inches and 3 of the females I cleaned had eggs ready to drop. Yesterday all of the crappies I let go were 9 to almost 10 inches except 1. Today, I must have caught every size dink as I released at least 60 up to 10 inches 2 hybrid bass, and 10 bluegills also. I am thinking the gills are either bait robbing or making nests but super agressive but only about 6-8 inches at the most in size. I'm long lining in the state's 11th largest lake. (hint! hint !).
    Likes Greenedog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

tuxedos on here in NE IN.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, I love long lining!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast