Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time Crappie fishing - First time at Smithville Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time Crappie fishing - First time at Smithville Lake

Hello everyone! This ismy first time posting, I have been browsing this site for a better part of amonth and finally decided it was time.

Let me start by saying I have never seriouslyfished for Crappie, I have caught a few but not intentionally. I spent the last 9 years in the military and grew up in Michigan and my passion wasalways walleye but now that I live out here and I have a few kids of my own Iwanted to focus on fish that we could potentially catch in greater numbers andthat taste great.

But enough about me I want to know what I cando to prepare myself and my kids for success on Smithville Lake. I have heard it is a great lake for crappies!

I recently acquired a small 14’ Jon Boat witha little 8 horse Suzuki on it, I planned to use it more for duck hunting butsince I have it, I might as well use it….. and that’s about all I have. I have a couple rods and what not, but movingaround a lot the past 9 years I haven’t had the time to acquire a lot of stuff. Big things I would like to know before I getto the Lake:

• I see a lot of people fish from shore wouldbeing in a boat benefit me?
    • If so, where is the best place to launch? Iwould be coming from Platte City.

• And I know not having a fish finder limits meand I also know people do not want to divulge their secret fishing spots, butin general what areas do I want to target: depth, distance from shore, northside of the lake south side of the lake.

• And then of course bait? I am leaning more towards live and saw thereis a bait shop in Smithville, but what size and what is the best way to rigthem.

I appreciate everyone who took the time toread and reply any information would be great. THANKS!!

Post Thanks / Like

First and foremost "Thank you for your service", and welcome to the forum. Lots of great info and folks here to steer you straight. I fish the LOZ mostly so can't help you with Smithville. Enjoy crappie fishing... It is addictive and delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we did what was most important in life there
    would be a shortage of Bibles.................and fishing poles

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site!

Quick response to your questions:

• Lots of people fishing from the banks this time of year because the spawn should be about ready to go here soon. But having access to a boat will allow you to fish more areas, more easily, and more time of the year. Bank fishing for crappie can be pretty limited most times of the year.
    • Smithville Lake robs you to launch a boat. $100/year for Clay County residents, $90 for seniors. For you, it would probably be $130/year. That said, there are several small (unimproved) ramps you could put in at that won't cost you a dime and having a small boat like you have makes that a LOT easier than the big boats (many of which won't even bother). Plus, you won't have to run very far from the ramps to get to some quality fishing, which will be nice with that little 8hp motor. (My little boat has a 9.9 and I've been running around that lake for years with it.)
    • The fishing in Missouri is going to be way different than in Michigan (I'm from Wisconsin, originally). Reservoirs are great cuz there is a TON of underwater (or even exposed) cover to target. But distance from shore is misleading; there are several places where you're 25-30 feet from shore and you'll be in 20+ fow. And others where you're 100 yards from shore in 5fow. So best advice is get a cheap graph is money well spent. Even a Humminbird Fishin Buddy that clamps to the side of the boat...anything that will give you depth and maybe water temp. You may not use it to search the bottom for brush, but it will help to know how deep you are. During spawn, focus on banks (or at the first break line away from the banks to catch those big ol' girls!) In summer, find a tree and drop straight down alongside it. (Dipping.) Up where the "free boat ramps" are is going to be the best fishing anyway, imo. Depth will change throughout the year.
    • jigs are fast and easy. Not a lot of messing around. And at times, they outfish live bait, or at least do just as well. (Or better, given that you don't have to mess around with minnows.) But as a rule, minnows will outfish jigs on that lake. Just hooked up through the bottom of the lips is how I do it.

I'm sure others will chime in, and probably discredit my advice citing my fishing abilities but don't believe a word of it. It's all heresay.

Good luck!

Oh, and....pay attention to this site. Priceless information out here. And a little BS to keep it fun.

Likes love2fish, dfar LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the site , thank you for your service , down load the findmofish app , get you some jigs , wear your pfd's , enjoy

keep your lines tight as you never know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
    Welcome to the site!

Quick response to your questions:

• Lots of people fishing from the banks this time of year because the spawn should be about ready to go here soon. But having access to a boat will allow you to fish more areas, more easily, and more time of the year. Bank fishing for crappie can be pretty limited most times of the year.
    • Smithville Lake robs you to launch a boat. $100/year for Clay County residents, $90 for seniors. For you, it would probably be $130/year. That said, there are several small (unimproved) ramps you could put in at that won't cost you a dime and having a small boat like you have makes that a LOT easier than the big boats (many of which won't even bother). Plus, you won't have to run very far from the ramps to get to some quality fishing, which will be nice with that little 8hp motor. (My little boat has a 9.9 and I've been running around that lake for years with it.)
    • The fishing in Missouri is going to be way different than in Michigan (I'm from Wisconsin, originally). Reservoirs are great cuz there is a TON of underwater (or even exposed) cover to target. But distance from shore is misleading; there are several places where you're 25-30 feet from shore and you'll be in 20+ fow. And others where you're 100 yards from shore in 5fow. So best advice is get a cheap graph is money well spent. Even a Humminbird Fishin Buddy that clamps to the side of the boat...anything that will give you depth and maybe water temp. You may not use it to search the bottom for brush, but it will help to know how deep you are. During spawn, focus on banks (or at the first break line away from the banks to catch those big ol' girls!) In summer, find a tree and drop straight down alongside it. (Dipping.) Up where the "free boat ramps" are is going to be the best fishing anyway, imo. Depth will change throughout the year.
    • jigs are fast and easy. Not a lot of messing around. And at times, they outfish live bait, or at least do just as well. (Or better, given that you don't have to mess around with minnows.) But as a rule, minnows will outfish jigs on that lake. Just hooked up through the bottom of the lips is how I do it.

I'm sure others will chime in, and probably discredit my advice citing my fishing abilities but don't believe a word of it. It's all heresay.

Good luck!

Oh, and....pay attention to this site. Priceless information out here. And a little BS to keep it fun.
    Joe is right (I'm getting soft Joe ) fishing from shore will get better in a week or so , Now with your boat I would get a map and launch up on the north side will not cost and you stay away from the big boats . Also welcome to the site !
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

[*]Lots of people fishing from the banks this time of year because the spawn should be about ready to go here soon. But having access to a boat will allow you to fish more areas, more easily, and more time of the year. Bank fishing for crappie can be pretty limited most times of the year.[*]Smithville Lake robs you to launch a boat. $100/year for Clay County residents, $90 for seniors. For you, it would probably be $130/year. That said, there are several small (unimproved) ramps you could put in at that won't cost you a dime and having a small boat like you have makes that a LOT easier than the big boats (many of which won't even bother). Plus, you won't have to run very far from the ramps to get to some quality fishing, which will be nice with that little 8hp motor. (My little boat has a 9.9 and I've been running around that lake for years with it.)[*]The fishing in Missouri is going to be way different than in Michigan (I'm from Wisconsin, originally). Reservoirs are great cuz there is a TON of underwater (or even exposed) cover to target. But distance from shore is misleading; there are several places where you're 25-30 feet from shore and you'll be in 20+ fow. And others where you're 100 yards from shore in 5fow. So best advice is get a cheap graph is money well spent. Even a Humminbird Fishin Buddy that clamps to the side of the boat...anything that will give you depth and maybe water temp. You may not use it to search the bottom for brush, but it will help to know how deep you are. During spawn, focus on banks (or at the first break line away from the banks to catch those big ol' girls!) In summer, find a tree and drop straight down alongside it. (Dipping.) Up where the "free boat ramps" are is going to be the best fishing anyway, imo. Depth will change throughout the year.[*]jigs are fast and easy. Not a lot of messing around. And at times, they outfish live bait, or at least do just as well. (Or better, given that you don't have to mess around with minnows.) But as a rule, minnows will outfish jigs on that lake. Just hooked up through the bottom of the lips is how I do it.[/LIST]

Good luck!

Excellent advice! Keep eye here daily for reports helps a lot. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll repeat some of what the others have said....Welcome to the site and thanks so much for your service! Lots of good brushpiles within easy reach of the three big "pay" ramps on the main lake. A handheld GPS and the coordinates will get you really close, and if you can find a low-priced decent sonar, you will be in business. During the spawn, you will catch a ton of fish without help. Pull your boat into most coves and you will catch at least a few fish. The free access areas are available on a Clay County map. After the spawn is when you will want more help. Crappies can be caught all year (so they tell me), but they sure will scatter out away from the banks and having a boat will be the best bet. Smithville can be very windy on some days and the pleasure boaters will only add to the danger to a small boat, so be extra careful.
    I would suggest you drive right past Smithville and on past Kearney and put your boat in at Watkins Mill once or twice to fish for crappies. There are a ton of them in there, and they are very willing to take a bait. Your whole family can have some fun and you can take home a bucket full of fish for a fish fry. The lake is usually calm and easy to fish. Hope to meet you up at Smithville one of these days

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site and your first post. Thank you for your service. The advice given you is good and from some good people.
    Here is a good link to start;
    Where to Fish | MDC Hunting and Fishing

When you get to that page look on the left side for the app link for phones. You can click on on the main page to view on computer.
    Good luck on your fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to CDC, a lot of good info and good people on here, and some good BS. Sounds like your boat would be perfect for putting in at the ramp on 240th st., end of O highway or Arnold road ( east side of lake ) all of which are free and put you in some good spots. Good luck to ya!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info guys! I saw it was going to cost $130, which blew my mind. Glad to know there are other options out there or I would probably have spent more money than needed. I found a map with boat launches only a few though so I assume it is the ones that are going to cost money. Is there any way of knowing where the free ones are or any suggestions for the north/northwest side? Because that is absolutely what I am going to do. But thanks again for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast