Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Launching small, trailered boat in pond with no ramp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Launching small, trailered boat in pond with no ramp

Anyone have any insight on this? Say you have one of the small plastic boats about 10' long... Bass Raider, Pond Prowler, Basstender, etc. and it's on a trailer and rigged out and kinda heavy to load off the trailer by hand. Or a jon boat. (I have both.)

If you could launch the boat just like you do at a concrete ramp, that would be most handy, as you could leave the boat rigged up with trolling motor and all the stuff on it. But without a concrete ramp, is this going to present problems? The bottom in most ponds around here is mush. Does that even matter, as long as it's not too deep where you launch?

Of course, the other issue is not to back up so close that you get your truck stuck. It would have to be dry, and firm ground.

I can take it all off the trailer but it sure would be handier to just back it in. Even if you could just get the back of down to the pond, maybe you could push it off into the water.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I have an idea but it will take some modification to the trailer. The idea by-the-way is not original – I bought a boat and trailer with this feature and plan to modify the trailer I have now.

The tongue of the trailer was two concentric square tubes. There was a pin that held the inner in the outer. Pull the pin, extend the tongue and replace the pin. The tongue is now much longer allowing you to keep the wheels of the truck on solid ground while the aft of the boat was in the water.

I would lower the jack with the trailer still attached to my Ranger. Pull the pin. Then push the boat back till the holes lined up in the extended position and reinsert the pin. Raise the jack, and back it in.

Pictures below.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  97.0 KB
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I have an idea but it will take some modification to the trailer. The idea by-the-way is not original – I bought a boat and trailer with this feature and plan to modify the trailer I have now.

The tongue of the trailer was two concentric square tubes. There was a pin that held the inner in the outer. Pull the pin, extend the tongue and replace the pin. The tongue is now much longer allowing you to keep the wheels of the truck on solid ground while the aft of the boat was in the water.

I would lower the jack with the trailer still attached to my Ranger. Pull the pin. Then push the boat back till the holes lined up in the extended position and reinsert the pin. Raise the jack, and back it in.

Pictures below.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  97.0 KB
    Is it rare for trailers to come with this telescoping feature?

Now, this still does not solve the issue of a muck bottom. Hoping somebody has insight on that issue, as well, if it is one. I might need to invest in hip waders, lol.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a 4x4 its not to bad. I back my 14ft boat into ponds every now and then and have had no problems even leaving it in 2x4. The trailer tires usually sink to the axle but it always come right back out.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I had pictures of how my buddy would launch his 14' Louisiana Traveler. He had a giant 3/4 ton Ford 4X4 and would launch it in the barrow pits, long as there was not a tree he put it in the water. He could push the boat and trailer right over and through brush and mud and put it in. Course he did not have to worry about getting stuck either. Just be careful around the dried gumbo, break the crust and can be in a world of stuck real quick.

Post Thanks / Like

I say launch it and fish. Worry about getting stuck later. Seriously, I doubt that the muck will cause you any problems. I've been launching an 14' john with a 35 evinrude in similar conditions with little to no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16 ft little crappie boat on a custom built roller /tilt trailer. You back the wheels up the shore and push the boat off by hand. It just rolls off and about half way launched the rear part of the trailer breaks over and off she comes. I have walk boards on the trailer. To load it back on you just land the boat next to the trailer,push it back out while holding a rope, walk out on the trailer and pull the boat to you. Grab the handles and start pulling it back on,about half way back on hook on winch and on she comes. I bought it from a guy who built it. Real old now....but I still use it now and then. Launch that thing anywhere. Launched in a bunch of ponds,small creeks and what have you. You have to tilt the outboard up high if the bank is shallow but that's it. Neat little rig... have caught enough fish out of that thing to fill a whole string of dump trucks LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe try some skies under the tires, like we use for ice fishing. i would make them wider for your aplication.

or some fat tires like these.Name:  2wheelskibug.jpg
Views: 2716
Size:  43.6 KB

or maybe some removable "wide tire skins". they could strap on on like chains.

or maybe ramps you could lay at shore to run trailer out on.

anything would be better than skinny trailer tires rutting up shorelines. interesting situation, will have to watch this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Clint, that is a great extension you made. wish i would have seen that before i added 4 ft to mine. some ramps are shallow at high water and needed the reach.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a kayak?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast