Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery Charger install

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Charger install

I found a Minn Kota MK210D at Walley World today for $49.00. I do not have a charger installed as of now. I have some questions about my install. Currently I have a 12 volt trolling motor, I use a Blue Sea switch and two deep cycle batteries. I can switch from either battery or pull from both. Blue Sea calls the selector position 1+2 the charging position. Question, when in this position is it 24volts or still 12volts with more depth?

I plan to set the charger up to charge the motor starter battery and connect to the Blue Sea switch. That way it will charge one or both trolling batteries and the starter battery. . I know the 5amps will take a while to charge if my tm batteries are down.

The cool thing is I paid $49 and will get a $30 rebate from Minn Kota. $20 for a charger isn't bad. I was going to get a Noco 3 bank $227, before I found this and researched the Blue Sea switch.

Anybody see any issues with this?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check with Catfan on the Kentucky board. He does batteries for a living and can answer any questions you may have. I tied 2 12volt deep cycles in parallel and never ran out of power for anything I needed.I didn't have an onboard charger at the time so I'm no help.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Royalwapiti View Post
    I use a Blue Sea switch and two deep cycle batteries. I can switch from either battery or pull from both. Blue Sea calls the selector position 1+2 the charging position. Question, when in this position is it 24volts or still 12volts with more depth?
    When you set the switch to 1+2, the positive posts of the batteries are connected together. Assuming you have the negatives jumpered, this places the TM batteries in parallel for 12V.

If you connect the charger to either TM battery, with the switch in 1+2 it will charge them both. As you know, 5A will take a long time to charge them when split to two batteries.

If you want to run them one at a time, make sure to flip the switch the other battery about halfway through the day. Deeper discharge reduces battery life, so running each one down partway is better than running one down until it gets weak and then finishing with the other. You probably want to alternate which battery you start the day with from trip to trip so they get equal wear. Start with battery 1 if the date is odd, start with two if the date is even. That will share the load over time.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't need one and I'll take two at that price . where was this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I ran the ground from the newer TM battery to the other.

This was a Walmart in Des Moines, there was only one. The box was shredded, but it looked to me like nobody had tried to install it.

Thanks everyone...