PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Crappie?

Jerry Blake
01-11-2005, 08:22 PM
It's been mentioned here before that crappie sometimes hybridized naturally and every now and then we catch one that makes me wonder if it's a hybrid.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/1-11-05.JPG

The biggest crappie in this picture had six dorsal spines, the shading of a white crappie but no typical vertical bars (like the one on the right) and its body shape was more typical of our black crappie. I'm just wondering if it could be a hybrid. It sure was nice and fat - 15 and 1/2-inches long and weighed 1-pound 12-ounces.

Sure was a nice fish to finish a long slow day with.

chaunc
01-11-2005, 08:30 PM
It's been mentioned here before that crappie sometimes hybridized naturally and every now and then we catch one that makes me wonder if it's a hybrid.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/1-11-05.JPG

The biggest crappie in this picture had six dorsal spines, the shading of a white crappie but no typical vertical bars (like the one on the right) and its body shape was more typical of our black crappie. I'm just wondering if it could be a hybrid. It sure was nice and fat - 15 and 1/2-inches long and weighed 1-pound 12-ounces.

Sure was a nice fish to finish a long slow day with.
Did you take a picture of the hybrid by itself? I'd like to get a better look at that one.

Jerry Blake
01-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Yea, but it didn't come out too good.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/Tom'sbigun.JPG

Shoulda gotten a better one before I filleted it.

It was a male by the way.

chaunc
01-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks.

crappieseeker
01-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I dont understand the difference you are seeing from the others except the white one on the right. What do you mean by the shading? The rest all look the same in the pic to me.

crappieseeker
01-12-2005, 02:10 PM
I can tell a little resemblance in the color tones of the big one and the white crappie, if thats what your talking about. I catch them here with so many different color shades, all I go by are the spines, the vertical bars and the length between the eyes to the spine to distinguish white or black.

lovetofish
01-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Jerry, even down here in N. La. we have a crappie that some think is a hybrid but our biologists say are not. What you may have had it what some call the black nose crappie. It has a distinct (but sometimes faint) black line from behind the nose running down the spine towards the tail. I am like most people, I go by the number of points on the dorsal fin. Either way I like BIG FAT SLABS and it dosen't matter if they are white or black or some unknown. Good luck fishing :cool: :cool:

A Bad Day Fishing is better than a Good Day at Work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fishin3
01-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Checked a page for id and white crappie have a max of 6 dorsal fins and black one have 7 to 8.

Jerry Blake
01-12-2005, 09:02 PM
No this wasn't an Arkansas Black Nose Crappie - we catch them every now and then - had two today. They have all the characteristics of a black crappie except for the "black racing stripe" under the chin and from the top lip to the dorsal fin.

The difference in this crappie was the lack of vertical bar pattern typical of all our white crappie. It is marked like a black crappie except for the shade and the specks were a little larger - all the other crappie except the one on the right are black crappie.

But with only 6-dorsal spines it has to be a white crappie (or a hybrid). Usually we can tell the difference real easy by the vertical bars on the white crappie and the random speckling of the black crappie. But this one looked like a black crappie. Itís probably just a white crappie that didn't get his stripes. :)

Darryl Morris
01-12-2005, 09:46 PM
I see what you mean, Jerry. I would have identified the fish as a black by looking at it. But, with only six spines, it has to be a white. Interesting.

By the way, I ran across an article the other day that explained that the blacknose is not a hybrid, but rather a black crappie that has genetically mutated to get their stripe. It also said the black crappie males do not take on a blackened throat as do the whites during spawn. The picture on my website disproves that, unless it's was one like Jerry just caught.

bugman
01-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Jerry i caught one last winter that is a twin to yours it was 15 and a half inches and weighed 2-2 ounces, it had markings like yours and i have always thought it was a hybrid.it also had 6 dorsal spines.

Jerry Blake
01-12-2005, 10:10 PM
I Googled Up "Hybrid Crappie" and found quite a bit of info on the web. Most of it way too technical for me but basically learned that crappie do hybridize naturally and it is difficult to accurately distinguish hybrids from white or black crappie.

This fish definitely was not typical of either our white or black crappie and I'm pretty sure it was a hybrid.

Hybrid Crappie came up in several state fishing regulations where they included Hybrid Crappie along with White Crappie and Black Crappie in creel limits.

crappieseeker
01-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Just to throw this out there for some opinions and responses that I'm sure will come from it. What is your thought on the possibility that something may have caused the one less dorsal fin? Something like maybe a birth defect or some other factor not relating to being hybrid. I mean look at all the different deformalities in humans. I think maybe that fish "Crappie" could be either black or white and just have some stunted growth problems and like where humans might be missing a limb, the fish might be missing a spine on its fin or something. I may be crazy, but I think this could be a good possibility with everything that they say that is in some of our waters. These chemicals and things could cause minor defects kind of like what drugs and alcohol do to humans. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Kokanee King
01-13-2005, 01:17 AM
From what I Have learned from resurch is that there is the comon species that we all know the white and the black and when they nest together we get the common hybrid, but there is anouther naturally occuring hybrid in a lake (which i Can't remember the name of) that has been stocked in the central united states which is called A Black nose crappie it look as though someone had taken a felt marker from its nose up to its dorsal.

Kokanee King
01-13-2005, 01:20 AM
But i could be wrong It is just what i have picked up along the way.

Jason Piper
01-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Jerry, I have caught some Crappie up here that have had faint vertical stripes like a White Crappie and also the black spots like a Black Crappie over them. I will take a close up picture of the next one I get.
Also can you tell me why some of the Black Crappie have a black stripe up there nose and down there back?

Jerry Blake
01-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Hey Jason:

Those Black Crappie with the "Racing Stripe" are Arkansas Blacknose Crappie. They are not hybrids but Black Crappie with a genetic marker.

They were original found in the wild in the White River basin here in Arkansas and have been used extensively for stocking, here and in other state, primarily so that when fish surveys are done it is easy to distinguish between stocked and native fish.

They do reproduce as Black Nose Crappie if they spawn with another Black Nose but if they spawn with a regular Black Crappie then the stripe may or may not show up in the offspring. If they spawn with a White Crappie then the offspring will be hybrids.

Enter "Black Nose Crappie" or "Arkansas Black Nose Crappie" in Google- http://www.google.com/ - or any other search engine and you will find a lot of info on them.

Jason Piper
01-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Hey Jason:

Those Black Crappie with the "Racing Stripe" are Arkansas Blacknose Crappie. They are not hybrids but Black Crappie with a genetic marker.

They were original found in the wild in the White River basin here in Arkansas and have been used extensively for stocking, here and in other state, primarily so that when fish surveys are done it is easy to distinguish between stocked and native fish.

They do reproduce as Black Nose Crappie if they spawn with another Black Nose but if they spawn with a regular Black Crappie then the stripe may or may not show up in the offspring. If they spawn with a White Crappie then the offspring will be hybrids.

Enter "Black Nose Crappie" or "Arkansas Black Nose Crappie" in Google- http://www.google.com/ - or any other search engine and you will find a lot of info on them.
Thank you Jerry! I have always wondered about that!

FalconSmitty
01-25-2005, 01:36 AM
looks like an Alabama black crappie to me. I think crappie have produced a hybrid in most lakes that both are present. We don't have the blacknose here. I don't think we do anyway.
http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/Fishing/images/crappieblack.JPG

FalconSmitty
01-25-2005, 01:39 AM
white crappie
http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/Fishing/images/crappiewhite.JPG

bentpole
01-25-2005, 08:07 AM
Sure am glad I read this post,Got one sat that as Kokanee King was talking about above.Looked like someone had took a felt marker & marked it from the upper lip back to the fin.As far as I can remember that was the 1st for me,also my fishing partner said he has never noticed one like that before.between the 2 of us that's 90 years of fishing for them,hehe.But it sure was a nice fish,didn't have the heart to keep him so it's swimming up there today LOL.>>>>Bentpole

albedarnd
06-29-2009, 02:43 PM
My dad caught this one in Lake Eufala, Alabama. never seen anything like it.
He took it to a biologist in Enterprise and they hadn't seen anything like it either. I'm thinking it must have been residing in some acidic water or just has a pigment mutation.

Anyone ever run across one like this?

rocket rich
06-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Anyway You Slice It It's A Great Fish .. I Agree I Go By Fins All Others Is Just A Mute....

coastal bend
06-29-2009, 04:51 PM
I have been catching a few black nose crappie every week. They seem to be associated with black crappie. I catch them when I catch black crappie. I'm down here in South Texas . Here is a 9" one I caught last week. It was only 101 degrees today and the lake level is below 50% . Makes it tough for a bank fisherman but I still catch a few crappie in the morings.

jeepguyjames
06-29-2009, 05:40 PM
ok so possible dumb question, but do you mean a mix of a white and black crappie? God bless everyone

foul hook
06-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Smitty i dont remember where we were but you lipped a black nose . That was the first on that I had ever seen. I caught one later on. That was last YR . Somewhere under the sun. What ever they are , nice looking string of fish.

REDEYE50
06-30-2009, 05:49 AM
The new Crappie Angler Magazine has an article about Hybrid Crappie

skiptomylu
06-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Sure looks like a Black crappie as far as it markings, but like you said if it's got 6 spines it is supposed to be a white. That fish has not even anything that you could make into vertical bars like a white has. Don't know if I would have even counted the spines on that fish and just thought it was a regular black.

Skip

Ken Jones
06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice mess of fish. Looks like a white crappie to me.

CrappiePappy
07-01-2009, 06:43 AM
White Crappie (true)
Black Crappie (true)
Blacknose Black Crappie (regular Black Crappie w/genetic pigmentation marking)
Gold Crappie
Magnolia Crappie (sterile triploid hybrid of Blacknose/White Crappie)
Hybrid Crappie (naturally occurring Black/White cross)

I'm uncertain about the Gold Crappie, but I do remember reading something about them (on here) ... and I thought they were only in one state/area, East of KY. I tried searching for info, but got bogged down with referrences to "gold" hooks, etc :p (so much for discriminative search engines :rolleyes: )

... cp :cool:

Pomoxist
07-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Anyone who wants to learn how to i.d. a hybrid needs to read the Crappie Angler magazine article on this topic written by Gary Nelson. It’s in the June/July issue. The large dark spot at the back of the gill flap is a key characteristic to look for, not necessarily the dorsal spine count. The big crappie in this thread’s first post is apparently a hybrid.