Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold front?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold front?

Do people think the cold front coming through over the weekend will turn the crappie off, given the water has been on a warming trend up to now? I want to try a totally "new to me" lake this weekend and don't know if it will be a fair assessment with this weather. Highs in the upper 40's and lows below freezing is borderline cold for my fingers!

Post Thanks / Like

It might not "turn them off" but it will change their pattern.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's "new to you" you might not know the pattern that is changing. I say fish it and put a little asterisk next to the results for next time you consider going out there, knowing it might be even better if the conditions are better. good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I catch fish in those conditions. It is more about me not liking the strong North wind associated with these fronts . The high pressure building can make them bite sometimes. Like always if they don't bite the first thing you do....then try something else. Don't assume anything. Cover as many bases as you can and let the fish tell you what they want and what is going on.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished this morning on Smithville and bite was much slower than had been. Water temp was 49 and had been 54. Wind made it real hard to stay on brush pile. Not as many fish showing as had been this past week. One nice keeper thrown back and 4 dinks in 2 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Slower at Lake St Louis also. When the sun popped out it was 15 degrees warmer. Caught two over 10 and went back home after 1 1/2 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished today, Monday, no keepers in 2hrs. Black/chartreuse was only color I could get hit on. Water temp 49. Broke transducer mount off back end of boat so couldn't do much looking. Big rolling waves on main lake. Not much fun trying to stay around marker buoy with wind. Oh well, it's all good.
    Last edited by love2fish; 03-21-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got skunked on Sunday on a small lake I fished several weeks ago with good results. I was a tough day!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by love2fish View Post
    I fished this morning on Smithville and bite was much slower than had been. Water temp was 49 and had been 54. Wind made it real hard to stay on brush pile. Not as many fish showing as had been this past week. One nice keeper thrown back and 4 dinks in 2 hours.
    Keep in mind the fish are starting to stage for the spawn most will move off of deeper brush .
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave