Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on open water rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default advice on open water rod

Hello everyone. Looking at a few different rods for my crappie fishing. Generally I use 1/32-1/16 jig head and plastic grub of some sort. I like a 5 6 or 6 0 length. Have my eyes on 3 rods. 1. Falcon ultralight 6 0 - $79 2. St Croix panfish rod 6 0 - $109 3. St Croix Avid 6 0 UL - $179. I realize the avid is more expensive and therefore what most guys will recommend between the three but I'm really after value. If I can get 2 Falcons for the price of the avid I will if people think highly enough of the falcon. I need to call st croix and ask what the main diff is between the panfish and the avid. I'm sure a bit better rod and different guides on the avid. That being said is the avid worth the extra money for a weekend warrior crappie guy like me? I'm only buying my next rod or two from cabelas since i have points saved up so at this point not interested in anything that can't be purchased there. Thanks in advance for the input!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jwetovick View Post
    I need to call st croix and ask what the main diff is between the panfish and the avid.
    The Avid is made in America, if that matters to you. I think Falcon is, too.

That being said, I would handle all the rods if possible. One rod company's definition of ultralight is almost never the same as another company's. I used to own the 6' Avid. It is a great rod. So why did I sell it? I have a bunch of great UL rods and just wanted to thin out the herd.

I am not familiar with that particular model of Falcon, but the Falcon's I have seen have a much stiffer action.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 03-01-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with above post by DBD. Rod actions are seldom the same from company to company, and what I would call ultra light might be medium to you. I'm not sure if Cabelas has received the new Pro Series rods from Mr. Crappie/Lews yet, but they come with IM8 blanks and will retail for around $45-$60 depending on length. I have tested the longer model and really like it....but their action is a little stiff. His other rods at Cabelas will range in price and come with an unbeatable warranty. No matter what....be sure and do as DBD stated and go where you can get the rod in your hand. You'll know it when you pick up the right one. Good luck!
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. I wish I could get to a store and handle them all but its not going to happen. So, I will poke and hope I have looked at those Mr Crappie rods and like the looks of them and the price. I called st croix and the guy told me the panfish series is more species specific obviously compared to the avid. He said the avid will have more a gradual/softer hookset compared to the panfish. To each their own but he really thought the panfish would be perfect for my situation. I don't really care where the rod is made, etc. Don't really want to start that whole battle.......keep the info coming. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, SM! You gotta be careful with that sig line. You never know what forum I'll be moderating next.
    Likes Sandwich Maker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am really enjoying my B'n'M's. Grizzly Jigs might be a good source of info.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you think spending that kind of cash is OK, then by all means, you have selected a nice group of very adequate rods. However, if you want a "tried & true" line up of crappie rods (for a bit less money to boot), you should take a serious look at B n' M rods.

They've been manufacturing rods for serious crappie anglers for decades. And a lot of the great crappie tournament anglers select this line of rods, over the many others that are out there. You can usually get something you are looking for, for around $50.00, or less. I can only tell you that from my experience (I have 4 now), you will not be disappointed by going B n' M.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    As long as you think spending that kind of cash is OK, then by all means, you have selected a nice group of very adequate rods. However, if you want a "tried & true" line up of crappie rods (for a bit less money to boot), you should take a serious look at B n' M rods.

They've been manufacturing rods for serious crappie anglers for decades. And a lot of the great crappie tournament anglers select this line of rods, over the many others that are out there. You can usually get something you are looking for, for around $50.00, or less. I can only tell you that from my experience (I have 4 now), you will not be disappointed by going B n' M.
    Thanks. Which B n M rods are made in 6ft length? I dont see many at all listed on cabelas site. They are all 7ft and longer. I have not gotten into long rods for crappie at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jwetovick View Post
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. I wish I could get to a store and handle them all but its not going to happen. So, I will poke and hope I have looked at those Mr Crappie rods and like the looks of them and the price. I called st croix and the guy told me the panfish series is more species specific obviously compared to the avid. He said the avid will have more a gradual/softer hookset compared to the panfish. To each their own but he really thought the panfish would be perfect for my situation. I don't really care where the rod is made, etc. Don't really want to start that whole battle.......keep the info coming. thanks
    Order two or three rods from Cabela's and send back the ones you don't like. Cabela's has a pretty reasonable return policy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 7ft st croix trout series rod (I know it's not a panfish model) but I will say it's a sweet rod. I have caught some really nice trout on it. I did order a 6ft light panfish series rod that I liked the feel off but the top guide was completely turned sideways. I ended up using the money I got back from the return for something else but I've been using a 6ft power lite ESP rod which I'm in love with for casting jigs. Cabelas used to carry them or maybe they still do. The st croix has a different handle to get used to I will warn you but I have gotten used to it. Another rod I like that I believe cabelas carries is a fenwick elite tech river runner... But I'm a fishing rod junky. I'd say you will happy with any of the above

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast