PDA

View Full Version : Casting rod

oldgoat188
02-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Wanting a new rod for casting. Looking at a B & M Sam Heaton 7'. Would this be the right length and weight rod? :donoThanks

Clint
02-24-2016, 11:19 AM
I like and use a B&M Crappie Wizard 7'6" CW75. They are getting hard to find though.

Cray
02-24-2016, 11:40 AM
What all you going to be casting? I think if I was going to be casting corks and jigs I would opt for the B&M float and fly. Or one of the mite lite rods from BassPro. The Sam Heaton will work good for just casting jigs. But tip to me is just a little light.:twocents

CrappiePappy
02-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Wanting a new rod for casting. Looking at a B & M Sam Heaton 7'. Would this be the right length and weight rod? :donoThanks

Length & weight are fine, IMHO. But, "action" makes a difference to some people ... and the action of a Sam Heaton rod is "soft" or "slow". What that means is the rod bends over nearly the entire length of the blank. It sort of bends like this : (

A rod with a faster action tip, that bends more like this : J ... generates greater momentum for length of cast, plus more backbone power on the hookset (with less rod/arm movement).

This "difference" led me to set aside my 7' Sam Heaton Signature Series rod, in favor of a 6'6" fast action tip rod from the ESP line of rods. No kick against the Sam Heaton ... it's a fine rod, and I still use it, just not for casting jigs. And I have no $$ issues of one vs the other to sway my opinion, since I won the Sam Heaton in a tourney & received the ESP free as a field tester for the designer. That being said .... if the rod will also be for slip float/jig usage, I cannot recommend the ESP line of rods because of the micro guides & tip, which are not user friendly with most bobber stops. And if a slip float, or even a clip-on float, is to be used with any regularity ... I'd opt for a 7'-8' length rod, with standard size or larger guides & tip eye. The rods that "Cray" or "Clint" have suggested would be good choices, IMHO. And I'd probably lean towards the BnM Float/Fly rod that "Cray" mentioned ... seeing as how I own 2 of the 8' models (which, by the way, were also field tester freebies from BnM).

This is all just my opinion, of course ... and your preferences may differ.

... cp :kewl

chaunc
02-24-2016, 12:44 PM
Just picked up a 7ft Denali dock rod. Great for slider fishing or just casting jigs. Google it.