Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Recommend a Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recommend a Kayak

I've been thinking about kayaks the last couple of years and would appreciate if someone could recommend one that is reasonably priced, stable, safe, and can easily be put in the bed of a truck to pack to and from the lake. This will be a one man operation, so it needs to be something I can handle fairly easily by myself.

Also curious about how easily these turn over (not a good swimmer) and because you sit so low, do you have trouble with snakes and do they ever try to get in the boat with you?

I see some people sitting up high in them and would be interested in this feature as well. Love to fish for crappie, bluegill, shell cracker, and an occasional bass. Mostly cast but might like to try a little fly fishing.

Any advice or recommendations about a good one to get would be appreciated. Just made a similar post about a Bantam Bass Boat (10 footer or so). Trying to make up my mind if it is worth the trouble but would love to get away from the crowds on the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there are many good choices but I'll share mine.

I have two Wilderness System kayaks which I really like, the Ride 115X Angler and the Tarpon 100. Both are very comfortable and very stable which was also one of my biggest concerns when buying. The Ride is the more stable of the two because it is a wider larger kayak. However it is heavier and precisely why I also added the Tarpon 100 and even though maybe not quite as stable as the Ride 115 it is still has more than enough stability that I have never been concerned and more than worth the trade off for the ease of use with the lighter weight and smaller size. I have a lot of back troubles and the Ride was a little harder on me when alone so I now mostly use it when I have some help. The Tarpon however I can easily carry by myself so it might be better suited for what you are describing you would want but if it weren't for my back trouble I could handle the Ride by myself more easily so you may like it better. With the Tarpon I can literally pick it up like a suitcase using the side handle. It is only 10' long so fits easily in a truck yet still large enough to be both stable and hold a lot of gear, I love it. I am not a small man and I usually take along a fair amount of gear and I can easily do so and have never felt unstable or in jeopardy of flipping it. I use it on anything from small to larger lakes mostly on Lake Barkley which can have some decent sized boats some which sometimes are going by me fast and fairly close or can also have some strong winds on occasions and I still feel very safe on it although I don't venture too very far out into the main lake with the kayak but I'm still in a fairly large area of water where I mostly go. Of course I would recommend that you always wear a PFD; especially so since you mention not being an experienced swimmer.

One thing I will mention is that I did have some prior experience paddling canoes when younger which I found helpful when I took up the kayak fishing and if you have never done much canoeing or kayaking you probably want to learn some basics because stable or not you still can flip them if you are careless. Not easy to do if you are careful so no reason not to enjoy the sport but you still should know the basics and use common sense.

You will love it though. There is something about being right on the water and paddling a craft while fishing that is unique unto itself. I have a 16' boat with an outboard and while of course it is fun and it certainly has it's own set of advantages there is nothing quite like being all alone paddling quietly on some water somewhere while fishing. I use my kayaks a lot.

Good luck with it, let us know if you get one!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to start with how tall and what your weight is. For me, the things that were important to me were a dry ride and stability. More stability usually equals not paddling as well as as say a kayak that may not be as wide. As I aged, now 67, and at 6'1" about 235 lbs. comfort has become an issue also. I have owned Wilderness, Malibu, and now have a Nucanoe Frontier 12....Also, I have reached a point where I also wanted a trolling motor, so after shopping around and looking at many, I ended up with the Nucanoe because of stability, dry ride, comfort, raised seating, its weight capacity, and the ease of mounting a trolling motor.

I also have a Wilderness 115X that I use when making a quick trip that does not require much paddling. It is also a nice stable yak that allows for a little raised seating. Lots of choices and you can always look at used kayaks. Also, I would recommend that you go to a Demo Day at a local yak dealer and try as many as you can...Also, the Wilderness Ride 135 is a nice paddling "big boy" kayak...

Post Thanks / Like

Try as many as you can, you will know what works for you better than anybody else. Demo days are good but many dealers only carry one or two brands. Sometimes clubs will have events too (and a wider variety of brands/models). Don't buy based on someone else recommendation, without first paddling the boat yourself.
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help, I may look into it. Would love to use them when bluegill & shell cracker go on bed.

Post Thanks / Like

As a NuCanoe dealer I am going to say NuCanoe.

As a kayaker I am going to say what everyone else has said. Kayaks are like pants, there is not one size and one style that will fit everyone. It is a personal choice.

That said, I looked at carrying the yak brand I felt would be the best for guys like myself. I'm 5' 10" and weigh 300lbs. Yep, fat boy. I also, like most, have back issues as well as arm issues plus I can't swim at all! I choose the NuCanoe Frontiers as the boat that would best suit my needs. Boy am I glad I did! I can paddle it well, although others say they don't paddle as well as the narrower boats but I only have experience in the frontier. I can add up to a 55lb thrust trolling motor or 2.5 hp outboard should I need it. Stability, well I can stand and fish and don't feel uncomfortable. And the 360 degree swivel, raised seating on the frontier is very comfortable for all day fishing and yaking.

But, like the others have said. If you can get a chance to paddle several boats before purchasing do. You can make a better decision to get the boat YOU NEED!

Good Luck!
    Craig Blankenship
    www.craigsoutdoorsports.com

Post Thanks / Like

Academy is selling a 12 foot Pelican kayak with a frame seat, the Pelican Catch 120. This one has really gotten my interest. i know that Pelican is a low end manufacturer, but ...

- with a bad back, the seat is going to be the #1 decision maker for me, this Pelican seat looks stout and is comfortable.
    - nice wide kayak and the tunnel hull design should be very stable.
    - 400 pound capacity
    - the price is right at $729
    - the hull is made of Ram X plastic, this stuff is as tough as it gets, I once saw a Coleman Ram X canoe that was wadded up from getting caught in heavy current after going over a dam. (Empty) the fire dept had to tie onto it and drag it out. Coleman managed to get the canoe, drilled out the rivets and the plastic hull popped back into shape. They put it in the manufacturing fixture and installed new aluminum gunnels, good as new. The used it for a few magazine ads.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished out of a WS Ride 115x the last two years and love it. I have also paddled the ride 135 and a Native Slayer Propel. The WS high seats are very comfortable. Just like everyone else said, you need to decide a few things...

* Type of Water
    * Type of fishing
    * Comfort vs Performance (some trade offs, seats, weight, etc)

I personally think the WS Rides are great all around kayaks. I have done about everything in them except rapids and Beyond the Breakers. Get out to a demo or a Kayak club and paddle everything that you can.
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey just to muddy your mind.lowe is making a 1040 Jon this year. I am gong to by 2-4 for my boys and myself. List for 647.00 each. It is a safe better ride and will outlast any over priced yak. You can dress it out with gas or electric motors. Easier to handle by yourself and you can stand to take a whiz or stretch cast etc. I am going to mout a dry box with high dollar swivel seat to my boat. Boys ca fish off a cushion like I did FER 55 years!!!!
    Likes huntinslabs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yea this Jon will be a dry ride . Yaks are gonna be wet during your trip. When you get old your butt chaffes just Sayin!!!!