Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: shooting docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default shooting docks

Never tried this and am curious....do dock owners get upset with fisherman fishing around their docks/boats?

Post Thanks / Like

Some do!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Trypman1 is quite correct ... some do, some don't, some will come out on the dock & fish/chat with you, and some will go bonkers if you even start approaching their dock. Some will even go to the trouble/expense of hanging netting/webbing around the dock to prevent you from being able to shoot a jig under it.

Best thing to do is ask if it's OK, if you happen to see the owner on the grounds or dock. Always be as careful as possible around private docks/boats ... and remember, you tie up to it, pull into the boat slip, or set foot on the dock without the owners permission .... you're trespassing !!

Case in point : on a lake in Tenn that I fish now & again, there are two dock owners that would probably invite you in for a meal, tell you what colors/depth they've been catching fish with, and chat with you about fishing for as long as you're within hearing range.
    Then there's another dock owner, whose dock isn't even worth fishing under, but has brush out in front of it that he & his wife fish over. We never get any closer to his dock than maybe 20ft away, and it's usually 50ft or more. Sometimes one or the other will come out on the dock and start casting, whenever we approach the area. We even had them turn on a blaring siren, aimed towards the water in front of their dock, in order to drive us away. Little did they know that we were aware of their "scare tactics", and were ready with ear plugs After about 20-30mins of the siren not running us off ... they turned it off.

... cp
    Likes Slabopotamus LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a dock and there are really only two things that I don't appreciate in this regards. First is when we are using it, especially if my kids are in the water for obvious reasons and also if we are fishing from it. Lets face it if I'm sitting there with my kids fishing off the dock and someone comes up and casts too close it would be just as bad as if someone pulled up on your spot if you were fishing anywhere on the lake, even worse because I can't just leave and go somewhere else.

The second thing is if I have a boat tied up I don't appreciate it someone tries to push it and cast too close because nobody wants their seat to get snagged with a hook which could create a hole, their carpet snagged, or boat or motor dinged from errant casts.

As far as them climbing on it, if they were to snag a hook or lure on the dock I would hope they would take the time to stop get out and retrieve it. Much better than someone stepping on it with bare feet.

Other than that I don't mind at all, I'm a fisherman and I fish other people docks so I appreciate anyone who is enjoying themselves and doing the same. Matter of fact if I am at the house I often will grab my binoculars and watch people fishing in our cove to try and see what they are using and if they are having any luck. If I'm outside I will often say hello and ask if they are having any luck.

Fortunately most fisherman are courteous around other peoples property and really for myself it is a non issue. I wish every fisherman good luck when on the water.
    Last edited by Slow Retrieve; 02-21-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling