Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Another Slow day

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Slow day

Only 12 keepers and they were scattered. I was doing pretty good on a jig I got from Boscoe but I lost it and it was the only one I had. Where you at Boscoe? I need to buy some jigs.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I hit Morris Creek today for the first time. Great looking place! The fish were stacked up in the deep water at the bends in the creek, but were not very active. I got one 1 pound 3 ounce crappie and one 2 pound catfish while strolling. There were some active crappie breaking the surface in the shallow areas adjacent to the deeper water, but they were hitting my jig short when I cast to them. The water temperature was 45 drgrees at the mouth of the creek and 50 degrees in the deep holes in the back of the creek.

I have never seen so many schools of baitfish and fish returns on my depthfinder. I was beginning to think the darn thing was not working correctly since all I could see was the featureless bottom until today. I plan to try again soon and see if I can find them when they are more active.
    Last edited by PanMan_VA; 01-10-2005 at 09:10 PM.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to fishing the area in Tidewater and it looks like you guys put alot of info up. Hope you don't mind me learning some things from ya'll. I fish salt and fresh and live on the peninsula. I am not as successful as I would like to be.
    Gary H

Hampton, Virginia

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by dusty
    I am new to fishing the area in Tidewater and it looks like you guys put alot of info up. Hope you don't mind me learning some things from ya'll. I fish salt and fresh and live on the peninsula. I am not as successful as I would like to be.
    Welcome to the board Dusty. We try to learn from each other. Thats what its all about.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dusty,

Welcome, and feel free to ask questions or share your knowledge with us. We are all trying to become better fisherpersons by sharing our experiences and knowledge with each other.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Went yesterday at Pembroke creek down here around Edenton and should have stayed home. Didn't get a bite. Couldn't get minnows because the three local places that sell em were closed. Imagine that, three bait stores closed on a Sunday! I went anyway and tried jigs but had no luck. The fishing has been dead down here since the temp warmed up so much. This ain't winter weather and the fish know it too. Not much happening with minnows either from people I've talked to.

Went down to the OBX last wed. and tried to catch them big rock. Couldn't get them to bite either. It's been so long since I've caught a fish that I've forgotten what it's like. We usually count on the rock in the ocean. I have been a couple dozen times in the past 4 years and had only been skunked 1 time until now. The worst part about the trip was we came up on some commercial fisherman out there who were pulling in some nice ones in the net but they would'nt bite hook and line. Then to polish off a perfect day, we hung two stretch 30's and one stretch 25 in a net and had to cut em. We got our @#$es whipped and lost over 20 dollars in lures. Needless to say we got our bellies full of the ocean for a while. Now I can concentrate more time on speckles. I hope they start bitting soon. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion