PDA

View Full Version : Reel Preference

MNCrapps
01-26-2016, 08:30 PM
I'm starting to get into long lining and spider rigging. What is a good spinning reel that I should purchase. I am currently fishing with a variety of reels that I have collected over the years. I would like to purchase a few of the same reel so my equipment is consistent.

strmwalker
01-26-2016, 08:52 PM
don't know your budget !!! but you can't beat these reels SHIMANO IX 2000R Reel ,they work great and what I really like about these reels is that the drag is in the rear of reel !!! and the price is great !!! here is a site that has them and you get a deal on how many you purchase and the owner is a crappie.com member and sponsor !!! here is the website !!!

Monk's Crappie :: MonksCrappie.com :: SHIMANO IX 2000R Reel (http://www.monkscrappie.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=44&Category_ID=2)

huntinslabs
01-26-2016, 09:40 PM
Shimano IX series are hard to beat for longlining. I use the IX1000 and 8 of them going on 6 years with nothing but new line each year. Academy has the best price locally here.

MNCrapps
01-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I have one other reel with a rear drag and I really like that feature. The price is right too.

StrykerTN
01-26-2016, 09:58 PM
That's what I use. $14 at Academy. When fishing deeper, I bring the jig to the butt of the rod then loosen the rear drag and strip the line, 12 ft rod and 3 strips gets me 18 feet. Just remember to retighten the drag. Also good for quickly loosening the drag when you get distracted and notice your hung up and and about to break a rod.

ccgerlach, what part of Tennessee are you from? My home state!!

MNCrapps
01-26-2016, 10:01 PM
I live in Knoxville.

StrykerTN
01-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Home is Lawrence County. Vol fan?

crappielimits
01-27-2016, 07:48 AM
Can't go wrong with any of the Shimano spinners.

skeetbum
01-27-2016, 08:32 AM
I agree with the shimano recommendation. I have some that weren't high end to start with, 12 to 15 years ago. Slade is the model name and they have front drag which I prefer. No matter how much you spend or front or rear drag, loosen the drag some when you store them. Rear drag discs are smaller by design but leaving any drag tight for long periods compresses the drag washers and makes them hard to adjust and jerky when they give up line. That gives the fish the upper hand. The spool can't start moving before the line breaks. Loosening them a turn when I'm through for the day has helped mine last as long as they have and they're still going.
If you like a metal frame and spool look into the Diawa Sweepfire reel. I found em cheap when they first came out and bought 6 or 8 of them and they do a fine job. A little heavier but not too bad.

Fatman
01-27-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm with the rest of you Shimano!! I love em and no problems - only thing I was disappointed with them is they don't include a spare spool anymore!

MNCrapps
01-27-2016, 10:05 PM
Sounds pretty unanimous. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Crestliner08
01-28-2016, 07:23 AM
I have to disagree here. I use to be an avid Shimano fan for many years. I have plenty of them rigged on various rods for various purposes. However, Shimano has increased their pricing across the board by at least $20.00 on each of their models.

So, I started looking elsewhere, for a reel that might prove to be just as reliable as my Symetres and Saharas. On a friend's recommendation, I tried the Pflueger President. Loved it. Bought another. And just bought my 3rd. last week. Have used this President model for 3 seasons now and I will not go back to Shimano ever again.

As far as the drag goes, I have to disagree, once again, with the concept that a rear drag has any kind of advantage over the front drag systems. There are many more parts are involved in any rear drag system. That's just a fact. And the actual drag system is far away from where the action is - in the spool of line. I've had quite a few problems with rear drag reels over many, many years of fishing, so now I stay with the front drag system reels.

Don't get me wrong, I think Shimano makes a great reel. I have had problems with the spool's "friction rings" on two occasions however. Just another tipping point for me to switch. I'm no expert in reel design, but for my money, the President gives you the best bang for the buck. :)

huntinslabs
01-28-2016, 07:33 AM
I agree with you Crestliner on most points. I also seek other alternatives than Shimano except for the IX series for longlining and they have not changed pricing on this model in the 8 or so years I have watched them and recommended them. The advantage of rear drag for longlining vs front drag is when hung and dealing with another rod it is very easy to reach over and spin the drag way down to keep from breaking a rod or pulling out of rod holder. For all other fishing needs a front drag is far superior. But he mentioned longlining and I stand that it is hard to beat the IX series for that purpose.

whackmaster
02-07-2016, 03:19 AM
Pflueger President series far and away the best reel for my money.

jigfisherx
02-07-2016, 11:50 AM
I love shimano reels but changed my rigging rods over to used level winds. The are easier in and out of the holders and if you crank down the free spool you can just reach down and hit the button when you get in a tree in the wind.

SIcrappie
02-07-2016, 05:25 PM
I have several of the pflueger presidents in the 6920 size and two in the 6925. I think the drag on the 20 series is more consistent at the lighter settings. I like both but from now on I will only purchase more of the 20 size. I think for the money you just can't get a better more dependable reel. Plus the spool is braid ready with the rubber grippers built in.

MNCrapps
02-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Well, I bought a Shimano IX1000 based on the recommendations on this thread. I hate to say it, but I really don't like the reel. I find it to be too big and heavy for a light action reel. For those that like the Flueger President, what do you consider a good price and where do you get the best deal?

wannabe fisherman
02-08-2016, 05:54 AM
Presidents run $50 for the small one and $60 for the larger ones, anything you can find less than that is a good deal. One other thing to watch for, there's also a president supreme and it cost more, not sure how much, but it is more.

Crestliner08
02-08-2016, 06:17 AM
The President model 6920 is pretty consistent at $49.50. The 6925 is ten bucks more. The difference being line capacity and a weight. I like the 6920 myself, as I use braid for the main line, so the extra capacity is unimportant to me.

kycreek
02-08-2016, 09:29 AM
Another vote for the President reels.