Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi Boat Registration?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mississippi Boat Registration?

While we are all waiting for our favorite waters to reach rule curve and clear, I want to pose this question to my MS C.C friends. Unless you've been living in a cave, everyone knows that all states have official abbreviations. Since the abbreviation for our state is MS, why does the boat registration down here begin with MI? I have wondered about this for many years, so I decided to get your input. In order to further emphasis my desire to ask this question, I give you this incident that happened to me.

My wife and I were on a 4-day fishing package to Reelfoot Lake last year in April at one of the Resorts. I was backing my boat down to the ramp, which was at least 50 yards because of lack of turnaround. A gentleman (he was a northerner-by his accent) said to me "You back pretty good for somebody from Michigan". I replied "Well Sir, I'm not for Michigan, I'm from Mississippi". He looked at me rather strange and made no comment. I then said "We just haven't caught up yet". I think everybody knows that the sate abbreviation for Michigan is MI ! It was really kind of an embarassment. If somebody sent me a letter addressed to Southaven, MI it would be returned to sender. Please share you comments on this subject!

Post Thanks / Like

It stands for MI fish. Stay home. Mississippi Boat Registration?Mississippi Boat Registration?Mississippi Boat Registration?Mississippi Boat Registration?
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.
    Likes MrGoodtime, Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It bugs me too! I have no answer.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536
    Likes MrGoodtime LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

They spelled it out all the way but the decal printers cut it off. Just saying....

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't it be Mrs.?????

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

MI was short for MISS. I still have the registration for my Dads old boat that dates back before 1970, which was before the standard two letters for the state was adapted. At the time the two letter abbreviation was being put in place for boats, Being the southern gentlemen and women we are, we let Michigan have first choice. Well, you know they picked MC, which let us keep the MI we had always used, and still do. Thanks to them, there should be no confusion.
    **** Click my Logo for products and ordering info****
    Likes satdoc1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E-Z Poleholder View Post
    MI was short for MISS. I still have the registration for my Dads old boat that dates back before 1970, which was before the standard two letters for the state was adapted. At the time the two letter abbreviation was being put in place for boats, Being the southern gentlemen and women we are, we let Michigan have first choice. Well, you know they picked MC, which let us keep the MI we had always used, and still do. Thanks to them, there should be no confusion.
    I remember when the abbreviation for Mississippi was Miss, but I thought I had seen boats on Michigan waters in fishing shows that had MI in the registration? Maybe I was wrong! Still just don't seem right. That man up at Reelfoot i mentioned must have thought I was from Michigan from my boat registration, and he was a yankee!

Post Thanks / Like

I think when Rees tunes in on this we'll get an answer!

Post Thanks / Like

Ask him to have it changed at their next meeting..
    Likes canebreaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think it should be ole miss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast