Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to Kayaking

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Kayaking

I am thinking of getting a kayak this summer and was wondering if their is a good one to start with,I will use it on small lakes or slow flowing rivers, should I take a class in kayak safety? have never been in one but am ok in a canoe. It will be used for some fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can canoe, you will be a natural in a kayak.............so much more stable than a canoe. The market today is leaning more towards stable fishing platforms than any other
    platform. Sit on top puts you up a little higher than the sit in kayaks, for better visibility. The kayak with seats will be more apt to be wetter on the bottom of your britches than
    a kayak with an elevated seat. When you find something you think you might like, post it here and get some feedback and suggestions before you invest.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Likes fiveeyes, STUMP HUNTER LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Get a kayak you can afford to start. Then after you become familiar with the pros and cons of the kayak, sell it and get something closer to what you want.

A class is a good idea - but realize most classes I know of (with few exceptions) are for white water kayaking and may not focus on your fishing needs.
    Freedom isn't free

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HookUp View Post
    Get a kayak you can afford to start. Then after you become familiar with the pros and cons of the kayak, sell it and get something closer to what you want.

A class is a good idea - but realize most classes I know of (with few exceptions) are for white water kayaking and may not focus on your fishing needs.
    I take a different approach. I say, save you money, buy the best first. That way you have a good experience and a better outlook for kayak fishing. If you get something you don't really want, you'll always want something else. Then you'll have to save to get what you want...

Btw, I got a Jackson Big Rig as my first kayak and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

I never started small or cheap,do a lot of research,you- tube gives the novis a leg up,allowing a firsthand look at all the important things in making the big decision.I fish calm water,lakes ponds and slow rivers,the nucanoe is a perfect fit for me and the occasional passenger,human or canine.
    Likes Rooster Tail LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of kayak forums with lots of good info. Austin kayaks has good pricing and many videos. If any parks in your area rent them go paddle a few. Good kayak shops usually have trial days a couple times a month to let you try them. I was pretty certain which kayak I was going to buy until I tested several. Thd one I was set on ended up second place finisher only due to its character on the water under paddle.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Read a good article a while back about buying high end kayak...or getting on the water with what you can afford. The writer...who was a well known kayak fisherman.....was of the opinion of getting on the water as soon as possible. We all can afford only what we can afford.....plain and simple. Now having said that be aware that a kayak that makes your back or butt hurt in a 20 minute paddle is not going to get any better after an hour on the water. So demo as much as you can before buying. A lot of people get into kayaking only to get out two weeks later.....meaning you might be able to get a decent kayak for not a whole lot of money. I owned 5 high end kayaks in a 4 year period. I would not have been able to do that had I not bought them at cost. I sold everyone of them for more than I paid for them. What that means is a high end kayak will hold its value very well. I was no longer able to load and unload by myself due to shoulder problems so now I only fish out a kayak a few times a year. But those 4 years were really rewarding times fishing out of one....just something about it. After a day on the water fishing out of my kayak I came home pumped....a great experience.

Regards
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My first kayak I bought 2, 1 for me an 1 for my son . I got 2 Sit-in 12 footers from Bass Pro and we go out all day fishing in lakes an the seats are comfortable with no pain on my back. They do have also the 10 footer also but I'm a short big person an the 12 footer has a big opening for my size , it handles well even in choppy waters an we had caught plenty of good size fish this last year.
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

@Flytier,

Try looking into Native Watercraft kayaks. They are small and portable as a kayak, but as wide and stable as a canoe. I currently own an Ultimate FX 12 and I absolutely love it. The kayak runs about $1400 from Austin Kayak and comes with 6 gear track rails, first class seat, front and rear storage (including under the seat storage for 3400-3600 series Plano boxes), foam padding, and netting. The hull is in "pontoon" shape for ultimate stability. The seat is a little stiff at first, but one you get about a dozen uses out of it, it softens up. I cast, jig, and even drift/troll with my kayak with just paddles.

I own a 2003 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport and my Native fits perfectly on top of it.

Before purchasing a kayak of any sorts, I'd go to a local retailer that has that kayak and look at it, sit in it, and see if it fits your needs. I'm 6'0" and 180 pounds and the Native is awesome. Joe Smo might be 5'5" at 210 pounds and he might hate it. Check out other companies, see what they have, and check out their accessories. Not as a selling point, but by the rule of thumb for kayaking, the longer the kayak, the faster it goes. Between the FX 12 and FX 14 is about a 1-2 knot difference, but depending on how strong of a paddler you are, the speeds might be different. To me, speed doesn't matter, but to you it might mean missing or catching fish.