Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bamboo Question

soonerfan Guest

Default Bamboo Question

I have found some Bamboo close to my house My question is, how long after cutting the bamboo do I have before I need to get it into the lake? I also have picked up some PVC at some const sites, is it ok to mix the PVC and bamboo when sinking?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I am no expert on the bamboo mats or bucket type....But, I wouldn't let the bamboo start to turn brown...Once it starts turing brown it will take more weight to sink it....As far as mixing boo and pvc...I don't see any problem with that....It will probably work really well with the bucket type condos...

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

yep. boo sinks easier when it's green.

Post Thanks / Like

If you sink the boo when it is green, will it try to lift up when it starts to brown.....or will it get water logged?

Post Thanks / Like

hey, if you're dumpin those on Grenada I want to help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone
    If you sink the boo when it is green, will it try to lift up when it starts to brown.....or will it get water logged?
    good question. I don't know the answer to that one. all of mine is anchored in some fashion. It will in all probability be bouyant because of the individual air chambers in the stalk.

Jerry Blake has a post with pictures of a condo he made using concrete blocks as anchors. he just stuck the bamboo through the holes in the blocks and threw them overboard. it appeared to me the bamboo was floating as much as the blocks would allow. he was using green bamboo.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some bamboo by my house that has turned brown and I was wondering if it was still good to use or just cut it down and wait till this years crop to come in and cut it and use it green.. Also what lasts longer the green or the brown once it in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

it WILL become water logged after a month or so...ASK MEEEEE how I Know ?? I made a boo condo 10-12 years ago when I still fished mainly brush, I hooked the boo to conduit & placed a brick on each end of the conduit , I had 5 seprate conduit with boo attached, after a week we were catching fish, after 4-5 weeks it was nothing left except a SMALL hump where the boo filled with water & fell over

it would still work great if you placed it in a bucket or something else that kept it stright up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barn dog
    I have some bamboo by my house that has turned brown and I was wondering if it was still good to use or just cut it down and wait till this years crop to come in and cut it and use it green.. Also what lasts longer the green or the brown once it in the water.
    the brown bamboo will be o.k. for making condos. the stalk and limbs will still offer crappie cover and they don't care what color it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42
    it WILL become water logged after a month or so...ASK MEEEEE how I Know ?? I made a boo condo 10-12 years ago when I still fished mainly brush, I hooked the boo to conduit & placed a brick on each end of the conduit , I had 5 seprate conduit with boo attached, after a week we were catching fish, after 4-5 weeks it was nothing left except a SMALL hump where the boo filled with water & fell over

it would still work great if you placed it in a bucket or something else that kept it stright up
    i have a friend who takes stalks of bamboo, attach a brick to the stalk, tie a plastic bottle to the top and throw it overboard. we have fished around these for a year and they are still standing tall.