Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: feb 12-13-14th table rock trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default feb 12-13-14th table rock trip

staying at big cedar lodge first of all (where on the lake is this) and where do i go from there to find crappie this time of year??? should i be planning on fishing with minnows or jigs?? what depth are they usually? and anyone wanna go fishin? will have boat
    highlife... the krystal of all beers

Post Thanks / Like

Friends of our belong to The Wilderness Club (believe that is what it is called) It is 'vacation club' very similar to a time share. We are going to Big Cedar with them the second week of March as we have the last two years about the same time. As far as location, south of Branson on Hiway 65, go past the sign for Top of the Rock golf course on the right, then turn right on Hiway 86 and right again at the Big Cedar sign a few blocks later. There are a lot of tourist information shops along the way to Branson no matter which way you go in to town. Stop at one of those and they will probably have some free offers and lots of maps.
    The marina there is kinda neat. Inside the building is like a heated dock-but no fishing-you can see huge crappie and bluegill swimming around in the clear water.

The only fishing we did was walking around the shoreline. We caught a few 2 to 3 pound smallmouth and kentucky bass on rogues and similar cold water lures. Spent most of our time playing golf, eating and shopping. There are not a lot of shows going on in Branson at this time.

As far as crappie fishing, find brush. They will be in pre pre-spawn, depending on water temp. Shallow water will be 5 or 6 degrees warmer in the afternoon-especially if you can find a shallow rocky area in a north cove and more concentrations in these areas if they are near deep water. Water is supper clear-don't be afraid to go down to 4# line. Minnows or jigs will both work, but best to fish vertical in the cold water as they want an easy meal and don't want to chase their meal in icy water.
    Last edited by CrappieHusker; 01-22-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your doing one of those $79 time share deals. I fish the other end of the lake in the James river arm around Cape fair hwy 76 bridge. Look for structure on channel edges and standing timber around the bluffs. The cor of eng. has planted a lot of trees in the coves around the Kimberling city bridge. Maybe some one has the link to the maps I lost it and cant seem to find the right one.