Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single or double?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Single or double?

I prefer a single jig, 1/4 to 3/8oz. 4lb size braid. I mark my line when I get hit. Colors, white,chartreuse, pink and orange, go to colors. I've really been struggling with this set up. Do you use double jigs? What knot at top jig? Do you fish in the brush? Do you use nibbles? What kind of action(jigging)? Got to change something. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my mistake I thought this was going to be a post about cheeseburgers
    Fear me all ye that dwell beneath the waves

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use either 2 1/4 if I'm fishing deep or 1 1/4 if I'm fishing heavy cover. I think a lot of people are having a hard time because the fish seem to be very scattered still from the relatively warm water. Thats why I like to troll 3 poles with 2 jigs apiece and my buddy with his 3 poles and 6 jigs. Powerbait sometimes but only if I can't catch them without. I haven't been catching a ton but I've been catching way more trolling than single pole fishin. I can't wait for the cold!
    Likes IceNitro, DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I mainly use small and tiny jigs year around with green crappie nibbles and 6 lb test hi vis green line palomar knot single jig. The blue white triple tip bodies I use the most. When I'm not fishing I'm thinking about fishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes IceNitro, MuddyShoes LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

1/4 oz on the bottom and 1/16 or 1/32 on top when fishing ledges, bridges and thin brush. 75% of my fish come on the to smaller bait in cold water. If we are fishing heave brush then a single 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig. All on 2/10 yellow power pro… most of my fish are dropped to the bottom then one crank off. I love watching them come off the bottom and hit the top jig.
    Name:  IMG_0581.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  60.4 KB
    It's not duck season so I have to do something... :D

You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

2 1/8oz. til I find them, 1 after that. Usually Black and Chart on one Pink and Chart on the other. I slide the top one on the line about 3' up then tie a double overhand knot leaving about a 4" leader, then tie the bottom one as usual. Lately I've been holding as still as possible. I always use nibbles.

Post Thanks / Like

90% of the time I use 1/4 jig heads. I'm different than most people as in the fall and winter, I use big baits. You have to realize that the fish are eating shad that have been growing all year or several years and usually are large. Last year we, ( Craig and I ) found many crappie eating small white peach or white bass as their food source here at El Dorado lake throughout the winter time. If I'm fishing suspended fish, I will use two jigs but in brush, I use one and sometimes if they are really deep in the brush, I will file the tip of my hook some so it doesn't get stuck as I am banging it hard to get their attention. You don't need a sharp hook to penetrate a crappies mouth. If you catch them in the hard spot on top of their mouth, keeping you line tight is key. Don't tell my sponsors this as they will have a meltdown.

This is a great topic to talk about as I think many struggle during this time of year. Confidence is key as you have to believe the fish are there to catch them. Electronics and knowing how to read them is a must.

When fishing with a bait ball, Try fishing the top of the bait and not in them or below them. I have experienced this to be key many times when fishing deeper waters. I don't know why but crappie will come up for the shad and will hit your bait as the shad scatters. Give it a try sometime and you will see that it works.

Also, big baits I like to call commitment baits because they have to hit them hard to stun or eat them. With smaller baits a crappie can suck them in and when you feel that hit and nothing is there, that a fish that has spit it out. There are times that crappie will only eat smaller baits but I find that the usually want a meal not a snack.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Shane about use of bigger profile baits and the currently available forage. Double jig with 1/8 on top and 1/4 bottom, and also implore double 1/4 jig heads on windier days. Found this lil guy choked up on another crappie a couple weeks ago.
    Name:  IMG_20151120_075216.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  34.9 KB
    Likes IceNitro, DRFISHDUCK, Ozark88, MuddyShoes LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I too am a 1/4oz guy year-round. If in open water I will double; 1/4 on bottom 1/8 on top. A double can help zero in on best color and depth for the day. If fishing brush a single 1/4 ouncer.
    Likes DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The best bet is to find shad floating around and use them on a 1/80 jig. MATCH THE HATCH.
    Last edited by Crappie Commander; 12-11-2015 at 08:03 PM.
    Likes jayhawkcrappie LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast