Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Can't get away from my past

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't get away from my past

I have given up my waterfowling, both guiding and for pleasure. I've sold every decoy I owned along with my Benelli SBE2. I no longer own anything but my calls. It has been a huge part of my life since I was a teenager. I guided and outfitted for 15 years of the 25 years I have hunted the Missouri Bootheel.

The new venture is occupying all the time and $$ I can put together. I was going to take my new rig out to Rickie's house after I bought his breakfast. I opened my garage door before it was much more than breaking light. As soon as I step out of the garage I hear it---maybe I should say heard THEM. About 25 snow geese were directly above my house ,screaming their fool heads off, no more than 100 Yards high. They were taunting me!! I probably called them some unrepeatable names, as I have many times in the past.

I got the rig hooked up, ate breakfast with Rickie and BaldJohn, then headed to Rickie's garage to hook up the new Helix 10 and gear. Buffalo13 came by to visit, drop off some work for Rickie, and check out the Excel. Later, I headed to the store to pick up an item we needed. When I opened the garage door I heard THEM. The unmistakable calls of sandhill cranes. I called for Rickie to come out to see them but they had quit calling. I mouth called to them and they all fired back up, circled a few times, then headed on SE.

Seems I can't get away from some things in my past that gave me days and days of enjoyment.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Its still in your blood! Your welcome to join me anytime in my boat blind dux. I cook a mean breakfast sammich! Public hunting but we have fun!

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I say! Find you a nice low maintenance spot that you can kill some birds and have some fun. No pressure. Low budget!
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should mention it dux, today while out in the drive building another crappie condo, had some visitors. Hope my bed attracts crappie as well as it does the sandhills. Name:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 356
Size:  28.6 KB
    Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer!
    Likes buffalo13 LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a call this afternoon from a dear friend in MO who was responsible for us starting to hunt there and for me to get into guiding there. He said this morning the sky was full of snows in nose-bleed heights heading south.Don't see a lot of sandhills over there.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Have quit hunting waterfowl several times, easiest thing I ever did and hardest thing to resist returning to. Miss the good friends and good times but not those cold and dangerous boat rides before daylight.