Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braided Line for Vertical Jigging...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braided Line for Vertical Jigging...

I've always used mono from 6lbs. up to 12lbs. for vertical jigging deeper water, but I've thought about trying braid simply for the sensitivity. Does anyone have an opinion on braid vs. mono and also I'd like to hear some recommendations on size, brand, etc. This is simply for vertical jigging 10' + water. Thanks.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

prwer pro braid for everything for me, 15lb test
    Likes Hotpepper, satdoc1 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use PowerPro 10/2 hi-vis on one of my heavier action casting rods, and always tie direct to the bait (no leader). I'm a line watcher when casting jigs, so I use hi-vis 6# test Vicious line on my regular casting rods. I happened to have a spot where there were several large brushpiles in close proximity to each other, and wanted to drag my jig across them, so I decided to use the rod with braid. I had to get down to around 15' to get to the brush, so not wanting to wait for the jig to drag the braid down that deep, I added a 1/8oz split shot sinker about 8-10" above the jig.
    After doing that .... every tic/tap/thump that I felt seemed 10x's harder than I'd been used to, even when using braid/jig w/o the sinker.
    So, anytime I use the braid outfit for casting/jigging with a jig ... that sinker is on the line

I've used PowerPro 10/2 braid for many, many years, and have only lost ONE bait to a snag.

But, I will caution you .... you'll need a couple of things if you use braid : a pair of Fiskar Child Size Scissors (to cut the line blunt, so you can thread the small eyeholes of small jigs) and a piece of wood dowel rod (to wrap the braid around, when pulling a bait free from a snag). Believe me when I say that braid will cut you and/or a cork or foam rod handle, should you use them to wrap braid around to pull a snagged lure free. (been there, done that) The Fiskar scissors are cheap, small enough to fit in a tackle tray, and work great for cutting braid clean & blunt. Other cutting tools may work just as good, but some leave ragged tag ends that make it hard & time consuming to get the tag end of the limp braid to go through a jighook eye. (been there, done that, too) So, for 2 or 3 dollars, you'll save time & effort ... and not jeopardize your fingers/hand or rod handle to cuts.

Put (or leave) some old mono on your reel spool & tie the braid to that mono .... then finish filling the reel spool. This not only lessens the amount of braid needed to fill the spool, it also keeps the wrapped braid from sliding around the spool (by digging into the mono at the point of connection). Braids are slicker than mono, and don't stretch, so the whole reel spool of "just" braid can slide around en masse when the drag slips.

... cp
    Likes Hotpepper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CrappiePappy. You are one lucky guy to only lose one bait over years of fishing. I need you to go with me just for good luck!

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

CrappiePappy has given some great advice! Remember to retie often, since you will loose way less jigs it really becomes important.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I recently made the switch from 8lb mono to PowerPro 10/2 braid for many reasons, but one of those reasons being the same reason you mentioned, I wanted increased sensitivity. I went with the low-vis moss green. I hate that I cannot see my line very well, that possibly has already and likely will continue to cost me fish now and then. I also dislike needing scissors available if and when I want to make a jig head/lure change. Other than those 2 things, I absolutely love everything else about it. It has been exactly what I personally was looking for. Give it a try.
    Likes bassbull LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Braid is the same as buying a car...there are old cheap models with no frills and some problems, middle priced models, and models with all the bells and whistles that cost more.
    First you have to decide how serious you are, what you want, and how much you are willing to spend.

Old braid is normally 3 strands of fiber braided together, it is not round, and uses a stiff waxy coating to help it go through the guides...when the wax wears off (quickly) it begins to get sticky and becomes harder to cast and manage. It normally is the largest diameter of all the braids, and overall performance can be low.

Middle priced braid, can be from 3 strands to 8 strands, you normally get a little better product but can have some of the same issues with wax or coatings, size and poundage ratings can be way off, along with durability and abrasion resistance.

Then you have the Premium braid...this is normally 8 strands or more, it is the thinnest and strongest, it has no coating, is soft and supple, with high performance, and no issues....it has the longest casting distance and is the smallest threads when you compare it against other same pound lines.
    Each manufacturer uses different testing techniques and tests their line to give it the smallest poundage and size, Tourney braids are certified for all recognized fishing records...it is the size and pound strength that is stated.

I only use Seaguar Smackdown Tourney Braid on everything but have been trialing a couple even newer brands.
    My reels are made for braid, so I don't need backing...I put the braid on tight and just cut off any line that is BADLY worn...the next year I wind it on another reel and use the "Fresh" end.
    I used Gorilla Tape on reels that weren't made for braid to stop slippage, but I always filled the reel...most all of my reels with EASILY Spool 150 yards of 20lb braid that has a 4 pound Mono diameter....this way, it will last me an entire season and I never have to worry about getting to the Mono.

CP is right, don't ever wrap it around your hand and try to pull a lure free...you can end up with a stub!
    My reels are HD so normally I can set the drag and pull the jig free...the sickle will bend and it comes loose, just re-bend the hook and go!
    I always carry a towel with me, or use a sweatshirt sleeve, or use a glove to wrap the braid around to pull free when I'm using lighter tackle.
    You can easily carry a multi-tool with a sharp knife to cut braid...that way you also have pliers/etc.

Braid is all about how you want to fish, then choose what's best for you!
    Good Fishing!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use the power pro braid for 2 yrs and have only list 2 jigs in the brush.

It is such a plus for crappie fishermen and some of my friends have changed to it as well.

Pepper

Highly recommend
    Jeremiah 29:11

God says he has plans for me.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used power pro 10/2 hi-vis yellow for years and went up a size last time around. I use it primarily when I was fishing river channel trees with brushguard heads in 55 fow, and I can say that there's nothing like it. Tied direct to the jig and caught many large fish, and the thump is off the charts.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I use Power Pro Slick 8 for everything. Has great sensitivity and no stretch. Once I got used to fishing braid I haven't used mono for anything but backing. I use my rods for everything from Dock Shooting to lighting jigs
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Dollfly LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast