Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake sturgeon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake sturgeon

The MDC restocking and stopping the harvest seems to be making a big difference. Last summer I caught a 60" one plus we had 2 smaller ones all in one day. that day we watched them continueosly jumping out of water. Some big bruisers. Last weekend husband caught his biggest fish ever it was a 48" lake sturgeon. He also caught a smaller one. Watched smaller ones flipping on the surface. they are a blast when they jump out of the water. But while in water they just bull along pulling line wherever they want to go. We get a quick measurement and then release quickly. Don't want a wimpy dipnet for them. Thank you MDC for making catching these fish a possibility. They are a blast.
    Likes Slab Pirate 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of bait are you using to catch these sturgeons? Are they all supposed to be released are can some one keep and eat these fish? I don't know much about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Was using night crawlers. The lake and pallid sturgeon have to be released. You can keep the shovelnose up to a certain length. We have kept a few shovelnose. They are hard to clean. Have very little meat and I didn't like the taste.
    Likes ALLSTAR 1 LIKED above post