Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: hOOK A WEIGHTED JIG UNDER A CORK

Post Thanks / Like

Default hOOK A WEIGHTED JIG UNDER A CORK

What is best way to hook a weighted jig say a #4 hook& 1/8 ounce head to a minnow when fishing with a cork/bobber. If using a plain hook I place hook in skin just behind the dorsal fin so as to not kill minnow but should I put weight jig hook in minnows bottom jaw. Hooking minnow thru both lips seem to kill minnow.? Thanks jax
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I tail hook them to keep them alive longer. If trolling then I hook both lips. 90% of the time I just use soft plastic lures. I do not have to worry about keeping them alive.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Tn Johnboy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If I have to hook them thru the lips I use a #6 Owner mosquito hook. Those hooks are extra thin and the minnows live much longer.

Reggie

Post Thanks / Like

If you fish a tube along with the minnow on that jig head and impart a little action to it,its not as critical that the minnow be super active. Even dead minnow will work some with that setup.If I am using the minnow stock still under a cork I prefer to just use a split shot above a crappie hook and hook minnow just behind the dorsal and allow it to free swim,it will have more action that way than if the lead is right at it.If there is current or I'm gonna pull it at all I hook through both eyes or both lips cause I don't want the minnow twirling as I pull it.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I put a minnow on a jig .... I run the hook from up under the V shaped skin folds of the bottom jaw and bring the hook point out between the nostrils. For use on a plain hook, I run the hook "behind" the eyeballs (without puncturing them). In either case, it doesn't matter if the rig is stationary or moving ... the minnow will track straight when moving & be active when stationary.

... cp
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use minnows very often , in fact almost never . but when I do .................
    I try to be like my buds and hook them kinda a bit back so they struggle like heck
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales