Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question - What size weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question - What size weight

I have attached 1/16 oz bullet weignt around 1 feet above the hook. Is it too much weight for small crappie minnow?

From my experience, with too much weight small minnow gets tired and die fast.

I have been using 1/32 oz bullet weight, with this weight crappie don't get tired, but don't do a good job holding the minnow down at the bottom.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I use several different sizes. Some days it seems the Crappie want a lively minnow and are selling to chase it and other days they seem to want it where it can't run all over the place. I very the length of line from the bait to the weight to get the results I want. If fishing with a float I do weight it where the fish feels very little resistance when taking the bait.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I usually fish under a float and use just enough weight to set the float. Usually its a pretty small float so one or two bb size shots enough ( sometimes a 1/16 jig will sink the float). The shot is usually about 16" above the minner so it has some room to move around.
    Likes Hotpepper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. Enough weight to make the bobber neutrally buoyant and about 16" or so from the minnow. If the minnow isn't doing its job, I set it free and put on a new minnow.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, it is very important that the presentation stays vertical, straight as possible so I. Use enough weight to make that happem?.

Pepper
    Jeremiah 29:11

God says he has plans for me.