Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Coast Guard "6 Pack"

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Coast Guard "6 Pack"

Hadn't planned on getting it since KY F&W website says it's not needed to guide in KY. Coast Guard says otherwise.

What is involved and how expensive is the permit process? A friend in Coast Guard says I may have to go to St.Louis for testing---3 hour drive.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldnt Terry know eactly what to do an all the loopholes. Iwouldnt think a 6 pack would be nearly enough for a days fishing. 12 pack would be bare minium

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes Cane Pole, blueball, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would post this on the hulltruth forum. Lotz of liscensed captains on there.

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Cappy on the Louisiana board was a tow boat captain, Coast Guard rules shouldn't change by state. He probably had to have more certifications than you will.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Michigan, a "six Pack" license is required for any type of commercial fish guiding (accepting money from clients for fishing).

The rules have changed over the years. Your best bet is to find a "Pass for Sure" type of class. They are very in depth as far as their training and will train specifically to the test that is administered. Most have a guaranteed pass rate. Many of them proctor the test directly after training to avoid losing any information. There are (or were) several different parts of the test. After you completed the course on navigation, they would put you on the test the very next morning.

Their are several different companies that offer this type of training. Michigan has several. Years ago, they used to make you have a log book that would be verified and signed by a licensed captain. I know it was a tough sticking point for a lot of people and they may have done away with that portion of it.

There are also several online options as well. Do a search on google. Most of my buddies went the option of doing the all inclusive training offered by a company. No one has had a problem passing that way. Let me know if you need any other information.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

When I took mine, it was a (2) part exam. First part was "rules of the road" and the second part was "navigation". The first part is straight questions and answers based on mariner rules, which can be studied in printed material. The second part is navigation scenarios where they give a situation in navigation and you respond based on the "proper procedure. Also have to identify lighting, buoys, markers and types of vessels and etc. I ordered a study guide and did it with a friend. The prep courses would be a better route, I think. Don,t know the cost now, but won't be hard to find out. This has been many years ago, but I,m sure the current exam is similar. You also have to take a physical and log your "on water" time. Typical goverment type testing. However with experience and prep course, you shouldn't have too much trouble. It also will help on insurance. Good luck.
    Capt.C........Life's short. Be a friend. Eat good. Have fun and fish hard!

Post Thanks / Like

the test is rules of the road,first aid and nav. you don`t have to test at uscg. there are classes by schools and a few guys that travel around and hold them at hotels. you will need sea time, referances, uscg phisical, and drug test. then you have to send it to your regenal uscg hq, then it goes to WV to be proceced. that takes about 4 to6 weeks maybe longer if you have any med issues. there`s a lot to learn it a short time, can get overwelming. but most all garuntee pass. uscg is hard on the medical. you will need it as most insurance will not cover without, uscg governs all navable waters of the US the cost is about 500 to 800 depending on where you take it. then you have the cost of room and board for out of town. good luck with it.