Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cave Run lake greenhorns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cave Run lake greenhorns

Headed to Cave Run this coming weekend, it will be Our first time on the lake, will be primarily fishing for Crappie, but the occational Muskie lure will be thrown too. Can any body who fishes the lake offer any recomendations on places to camp? bait stores? recent fishing reports with the lake being drawn down for Winter pool? are the fish attracters that have been placed the past couple years the best places to find Crappie this time of year? and have they moved or washed away from where they were dropped with the flooding that took place this year? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie are moving into the laydowns and submerged brush piles in 10 to 15 fow. The lake is falling so this could change. Muskies will be getting real shallow this time of year top water baits should be good. Bass size buzz baits should be hot. Fin Fur and Feather is a good bait shop it's on us60 a 1/4 ml. east of the 801 and us60 intersection. Twin Knobs camp ground or Zilpo are both good. Should be plenty of spots this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect info drc, just want I needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I would report on My Cave Run trip, We got on the lake around noon Thursday, vert jigged brush piles and laydowns with minnows, spider rigged dbl minnows at a variety of depths, but couldnt buy a crappie bite, My frned was getting bored with pushing minnows so he had been throwing a long blue and silver stick bait for Muskie over the back of the boat, caught a nice 36" Muskie that made His day and mine. Water temp was 73 and folks at the marina said the lake was getting a brown look as though it was getting ready to turn over! The few fish that we heard of being caught were at the 20ft range, thermocline looked to be around 30ft with what looked like a second thermocline at 10ft! not sure though I have a new Lowrance hds unit that I am still learning. The rain moved back in Thursday night and didnt seem to stop Friday or Friday night, after discovering my tent wasnt water proof and all my gear and cloths had gotten soaked, and then a flat tire on my truck along temps dropping from the 80's to the 50's and 2 to 3" of rain in a 4 day span, I said Uncle and we headed home knowing that the cold front and rain had won the fight.
    All and All We both liked the lake and campgrounds and will return, hopefully when the weather is better.
    Likes drc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

great report 2 thermoclines probobaly was lake turning over