Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider rigging in rough water?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging in rough water?

Was using 3/4oz egg sinkers but still had a lot of jump and slack in various areas of open water. I noticed others were pushing minners around me and we're having some luck. It wasn't til we got to the ramp that I noticed one of those boats and their rigs...looked like at least a 2oz weight.

Will increasing main weight on the spider rigs help keep the bait more stable or in place below? We were fishing 20-25fow at about 15'. To me, it seems like the heavier the weight the less jump in the line from a larger wave.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They will if your pole is stiff enough to handle the heavier weight. When I have to resort to that much weight I change my rig around. I will put weight on bottom then tie a loop knot about a ft up from weight and another up a ft or so from that one. Something else you can do fishing that deep is tie your rig with about a ft or so dropper on top then make line down to weight about 36 in long use 3/4 weight then about 12-14 in drop on bottom. When pole is jumping up and down it does not affect the bait as much.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes IceNitro LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Im using the BnM PST16'. I will play around to see what will work best. May need to get some more rigid poles, but we will see. But is my concept of/theory correct?

In rough water, using a heavier weight will keep the bait from jumping...obviously that is to some extent. I know that at some point it will be too rough out there to accomplish what I want the way I want. Nevertheless, if I can keep that bait still with a larger weight I will try that. I know the fish were there (bc I saw a guy in larger boat 50 yrds away pull in 4), just need to figure out how to keep bait still enough to rip some lips.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, does BnM make a heavier rod than the PST? I am partial to BnM since they are from MS and I had a great experience with them in the past. I'd feel like im cheating if I used anything else, plus the 20 or so BnMs in my garage may go on strike and quit catching fish! ha

Post Thanks / Like

The pst will handle it. I think they list them up to 5 ounce but don't hold me to that. I used 3 ounces pushing cranks and they held up.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

PST in 12 ft and 14 is what I use with 2 oz weight. Work just fine. Definatley stop some of the bounce.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to high jack your thread. But I would like to hear more about this topic. Looking to get 4 new 14 footers myself
    A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work. Unless u fish for a living

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead. I'm here to learn. Any additional information is welcomed

Post Thanks / Like

We have rigged in 45 MPH wind here in northern Ohio. Add weight and the rods will slow down on bouncing but not stop. Sometimes you can hold the rods in your hand. Wind and waves can be a problem, but if you fish on week ends it won't go away.

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding extra weight to the front of your boat will set the boat deeper in the water and you will not bounce as much and be more stable.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us
    Likes Tony the Tiger LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast