Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigging Rod Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigging Rod Recommendations

I am looking to buy a new jigging rod and want some input and recommendations on UL rods under 6'. I currently have 2- 5' UL Falcon Bucoos( one of which snapped in two on me, currently getting it replaced on warranty) and a 4'6" Light Pro angler. I havent tried anything that comes close to the sensitivity of my bucoos yet. I mainly just use hair jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

B n' M has a wide range of fine quality, dependable rods which may fit your bill nicely. And, the prices are not bad at all. I'm curious though, as to why you want/need something so short for jigging?

I use a 7' B n' M Sam Heaton's Super Sensitive (SHSS series) for all my jig rod needs. It has a bit stiffer action than what a true "UL" supposedly suppose to be (opinions will vary), but it's stiffness not overwhelming. I've landed northern pike up to 8 lbs. on that little rod, along with some big bass and uncountable numbers of crappie and large yellow perch - all on UL jigs. Nothing is too big for the task this rod faces, providing the angler does his/her job of course. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you referring to "jigging" as casting jigs ?? Like Crestliner, I'm wondering why you would want such a short rod to use for what most of us refer to the method of jigging, which is to drop a jig down to a certain depth & hold it there ... shaking/moving the rod tip ever so slightly, to impart a little action to the jig.

My jig casting rod of choice is a ESP 6'6" PowerLite spinning rod. If you don't like the split/extended handle .... a 6' ESP PowerLite rod gives you the same length of blank from handle to rod tip for $10 less retail. (the poodle tail rod extension is the 6" you lose, not the blank length). A 6' UL version sells for the same price (retail @ $65).

You can view all the ESP lineup at : ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors ... but Grizzly Jig Co sells them cheaper. https://www.grizzlyjig.com/VirtualCatalog/#28

I don't do much "vertical jigging" ... but, if I did, I'd want a 9-12' rod (like a ESP PowerJig rod) and not something in the UL version, which would be way too limber at those lengths.

If you're wanting a short rod for "jigging", because you think a long rod will be too heavy .... I can tell you from experience that a 9' ESP PowerJig rod is so light in weight that you'll wonder if it's sturdy enough to set a hook. But, believe me, it's got a very fast action tip, plenty of backbone, and excellent sensitivity ... even though it weighs less than some rods several feet shorter.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I mainly fish at a local heated dock and using anything over 6' is a huge pain to fish with, the ceiling above the well isnt very high and to fish all the slips you need a smaller rod as well. The jigging method I use is a little different and my grandpa taught me this, you drop it to the bottom and slowly pull the line up with your finger adding a little twitch at the end of your rod every now and again. My grandpa is the only one I know of or have seen doing this since I started crappie fishing with him and it produces very well.

I guess ill stick to my bucoos for this type of jigging.
    Likes huntinslabs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Don't ever 2nd guess Grandpa. He has forgotten more than we will ever know.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It amazes til this day how he can show up to the dock when no one is even getting a bite or hadnt caught a single fish. He pulls out his grizzly dip can he keeps his 3 favorite jigs in, puts one on the end of his line and starts pulling out crappie left and right.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try this, then : Crappie Pappy Article

Also knew of an old man/marina owner that used to walk very slowly around the marina walkway, dragging a jig along the outer edge of the walkway and only a few feet deep (floating marina/dock) and catch Crappie when no one else could get a bite. His "trick" was to use his trigger finger to very softly push up on the line of his spinning reel, just enough & often enough to make the jig wiggle ever so slightly.

One suggestion, if I may ..... you might want to think of leaning more towards a slightly stiffer rod than a UL, if you're worried about banging the rod against the roof or overhangs of a dock (from having to jerk the rod upwards any distance to set the hook). The more limber the rod, the more upward motion needed to insure a good hookset, whereas a stiffer rod of the same length will bury the hook with far less upward motion of the rod tip. I know, because I've used a 7' Bionic Blade & braid to fish boat slips at a local lake ... and my hooksets are a mere 1ft lift of the rod tip, simply because the rod is stiff & the braid don't stretch, so I have little need to jerk the rod up with any authority. A simple snap of the wrist is quite sufficient. Even my 6'6" ESP PowerLite or 5'6" ESP UL would have sufficient backbone/power to set the hook with only a little more upward movement than the Bionic Blade.

I didn't think to mention the 5'6" ESP UL rod in my previous post, because I mainly use it to shoot docks with, plus I didn't realize you were fishing "inside" or that you were restricted by overhead objects. That, and the fact that the only time I want to "feel" the bite is when I'm using the Vertical Casting method. When I'm casting, I'm using hi-vis line so that I can "see" the bite (line movement) and set the hook before the fish can feel any resistance from the rod tip.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the bucoos. Thayer are very sensitive, but don't have any back bone. Try the inferno rods from dicks. Only 25$ very sensitive and more back bone better rod's I my opinion. I love them . I use the 5.6 light action. I fish the the same way just out of a boat.

Post Thanks / Like

CrappiePappy, do you suggest going up to light or medium action. I will definitely look at the Esp's and may just go ahead and buy the inferno from dicks when I head to the city this next week. One of the main reasons I like the sensitivity of the bucoo is when im pulling up through brush I can feel the snags, 9 times out of 10 I can just move the tip over a bit and get away from snagging a branch. You are right though, it has no backbone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
    CrappiePappy, do you suggest going up to light or medium action. I will definitely look at the Esp's and may just go ahead and buy the inferno from dicks when I head to the city this next week. One of the main reasons I like the sensitivity of the bucoo is when im pulling up through brush I can feel the snags, 9 times out of 10 I can just move the tip over a bit and get away from snagging a branch. You are right though, it has no backbone.
    Lite or Med action (power) won't necessarily detract from the feel or play of the fish that you get when using UL .... but, it will allow you to control them better. A fast or very fast action tip on a rod gives good sensitivity, and the backbone is there when needed.

Rods with parabolic bends (bends throughout the length of the blank), especially in the lighter actions, are what most people consider "whippy". With a fast action tip rod, all the bend is at the tip end quarter of the rod length, and the rest of the length constitutes your backbone.

You do have to be aware of the fact that not every brand's Lite, UL, Med, etc. is the same as everyone else's. Each brand is labeled as such in accordance with where the rod's action compares with the other rods in THEIR lineup ... not how they compare to other brands labeling.

IMHO ... if most of your fishing is done more or less in the vertical sense, and you're limited to a certain length range in your rod choice .... a Lite or Med/Lite or even a Med power rod, with a fast action tip, will do a better job than a parabolic bend UL, and still give you the sensitivity and backbone needed ... whatever brand you choose.

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast