Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: FORGET THE GYM....08/31/2015 & 09/01/2015

Post Thanks / Like

Wink FORGET THE GYM....08/31/2015 & 09/01/2015

Just go carp fishing! Yesterday fished at the 48 mile marker of the Osage River in a deep hole. Caught about 12..half grassies and half common, biggest was 16 pounds. Went back to the same spot today and the fishing beach was completely flooded over. So I left Henley, went back to Jeff, loaded my boat and headed to the Marie Osa hoping for a few good hours of line peeling...and did I ever get it. Took a little while before they started hitting but for about two hours it was the fastest action I've probably ever had. They would bite literally as soon as the bait hit the bottom or a 30 second wait at the longest. I would hook one and as it was running, another would hit and I'd catch it. Put one rod in the holder while I landed another, then go back and reel the other in. Idk how many I caught, but if I didn't have to pick up my kids I'd still be out there. Fished with boiled and soaked whole field corn, 7 foot medium action rod, 30 pound braid or 12 pound mono, 16 pound Stren Magna Thin leader, 1/2 oz slip sinker, and a small treble hook or octopus hook. Kind of an odd bite both days because not many ran hard with the bait. Best way to hook them was to hold the rod and feel for resistance. Hard to tell how big they are when you hook em bc even the little ones run like they robbed a liquor store (the grassies don't run as much but do short darts/ head shakes). I know Beagleman is rolling his eyes reading this.
    Name:  011.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  78.4 KBName:  012.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  63.9 KBName:  013.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  33.4 KBName:  014.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  41.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

How was the river current at Mari Osa? I was thinking about launching my katak from the launch ramp but want to make sure the water isn't too swift to paddle. Also I've never fished for Carp usually cats, bass, crappie the usual but when you say corn were you cutting cobs of corn into 4ths or just actual small individual pieces of corn? Looks like a good time!

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a ton of fun!! Those are some ugly fish.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CodyJohnston74 View Post
    How was the river current at Mari Osa? I was thinking about launching my katak from the launch ramp but want to make sure the water isn't too swift to paddle. Also I've never fished for Carp usually cats, bass, crappie the usual but when you say corn were you cutting cobs of corn into 4ths or just actual small individual pieces of corn? Looks like a good time!
    Decent current then got weaker...I'd check the Bagnall Dam discharge report before going. I get a sack of field corn from the feed store and boil it, the wife prefers outside, until it gets plumb. Then I soak it for about a day uncovered. Idk the science behind it but this is how to prepare corn according to some carp websites. I believe you have to let the corn expand or it will expand inside the fish and possibly kill it. The longer you soak it the nastier it gets and makes a better bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Big and ugly, (talking about the fish). That had to be a blast reeling them big boys in.

Post Thanks / Like

I know people hate those things but they are a blast to catch. They will stretch your string.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! Carp are a blast to catch.