Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cranking reel suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cranking reel suggestions

Just starting out! What do you suggest? Will need 4

Post Thanks / Like

You can just about use anything as long as you have a way to measure your line. You can mark your line every ten feet an use any reel or buy Depth Hunter line or line counting reels.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes Jigsoaker LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a couple of schools of thought. Baitcasters have a smoother drag and have less line twist and are generally a tougher piece of gear. Power pro makes a color coded line that eliminates the need for line counters. As the season changes folks go to spider riggin and these BC reels also do this well. Now comes winter and I go deep jigging and I love the BC for this for the line twist issue again. Down side is they don't cast light baits well or at all if you go real light. Also not everyone is comfortable with them.
    Spinners are as versatile as the day is long but they don't like heavy line if you're casting. The drag can be jerky on some models, not to say that you need to buy expensive to get good. I have some that are between 12 1nd 15 yrs old that still do well but are acting like their time is near, but at $10 back then I may have gotten my moneys worth. When the drag releases line it is without twist and as it is retrieved it creates twist, and this can be a pain if you don't catch it. Most folks are comfortable with spinners and they also do everything else within reason. Good can be had in either style for A $20 bill and with a little care, and backing off the drag when storing so the drag washers don't get compressed, they will last a good long while and give you your moneys worth. I use the Shakespeare low end reels with good success and many spinners fit this category, with Diawa and Shimano being among the top sellers. Good luck and I'm sure others will weigh in and give you even more info to help you along. Tight lines, whichever reel it's on......Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Jigsoaker, crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...thanks for the extra effort on that reply Skeet

Post Thanks / Like

The okuma magda pro 15 is a good line counter for the money. You can get them from north woods outlet cheapest place I found them.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post