Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Southern boy in Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southern boy in Ohio

Hey fellas, I just spent a week visiting good friends in Walbridge just next to Maumee. My friend is a golfing and RV buddy and not a fisherman but he got me interested telling me about the Perch and Walleye fishing in the Maumee river. From what I gather it is quite a spawning run from Erie into the river.
    Any of you guys fish that and how bad are the crowds? I might consider coming back when the fishing is hot to give it a try. When is the best time to come?
    Thanks
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of walleyes to be caught but it's a zoo there. Shoulder to shoulder along the whole waterway. Cops busting people for keeping foul hooked fish and all kind of arguments and even some fights break out. Early to mid April is prime time for the walleye run. Some guys love it. It's not my type of fishing. Google Maumee walleye run and check out some of the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish in Oregon in the fall for Salmon and Tuna. I have a good friend that lives there and we can avoid some of the madness like you describe. He calls it "Combat Fishing", LOL, and I don't want any part of that. One of the nice things about fishing is getting away from crowds.
    Guess it is too much of a good thing eh? I have caught Walleye in Erie and up in Canada, but never Yellow Perch. The YP we have here are small, 1/2 lb is a whopper Yellow Perch here.
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I will stick to golf up there.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

There's several head boats that go out of the port Clinton area..... I've never used them ( we have a " Lake Erie boat" so no need ) but maybe worth a look ...... The perch are pretty fun around the islands on the big water ..... Perch spreaders and lake shiners ..... Pretty basic

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13