Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Crappie technique...Legality questioned

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Crappie technique...Legality questioned

Hi All,
    So I posted a story about a crappie catching technique on a local fishing board regarding a particular method of rigging a crappie jig. Being a saltwater fisherman, I've used butterfly jigs and have rigged my crappie jig in a similar manner. Because the hook (s) are free swinging, does this constitute a legal method of take, or is it considered snagging.

http://catfished.com/forum/index.php?topic=2353.0

Thanks,
    Grass Hopper

Post Thanks / Like

In our state, if it's hooked in the mouth it's legal, hooked elsewhere on the body it's snagged and must be released unharmed. I think the configuration of your lure would constitute two of the three hooks allowed per pole also.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Ahhhhhh Grasshoppah .......

you are a wise student in the ways of Crappie angling !! :D

That's a very interesting setup and concept ! See what a little thinking "outside the box" can do for you :p

Unless your state, or the specific waters you fish, have a law about the number of hooks/line or specific rules about "where" a fish has to be hooked to be a legal catch ....... I see no problem with it. ....... cp

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks like it will hang up a lot. Probably spend a lot of time getting unhung. In open water it would probably work good though
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    you are a wise student in the ways of Crappie angling !! :D

That's a very interesting setup and concept ! See what a little thinking "outside the box" can do for you :p

Unless your state, or the specific waters you fish, have a law about the number of hooks/line or specific rules about "where" a fish has to be hooked to be a legal catch ....... I see no problem with it. ....... cp

I think the rig is legal as long as the crappie is hooked just in the mouth, but I need to check with a warden. Thanks for the good comments Crappie Pappy. I've been a lurker here for quite a while and have read many of your posts. Very informative.

Cheers,
    GH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    That looks like it will hang up a lot. Probably spend a lot of time getting unhung. In open water it would probably work good though
    Fortunately in Clearlake virtually ALL of our crappie fishing is done in open water either off a floating dock or on a boat. Very little structure to speak of, especially wood or vegitation to get hung up on.

Post Thanks / Like

How is it any different than crank bait or a leach with a stinger hook set up for Walleye .
    See ya Kevin ><)))*>
    Excellent

Post Thanks / Like

In Tenn. it is a legal catch if you hang the fish from the gills forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't this otherwise known as a stinger hook?Stinger hooks are legal in most states.:D
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieMagnet
    Isn't this otherwise known as a stinger hook?Stinger hooks are legal in most states.:D
    Very similar. A stinger hook is a second hook tied with a small piece of leader, but I believe it is always embedded within the bait or lure. In this setup, the two hooks are free swinging.

The reason I'm confused regarding legality is when I downloaded the IGFA rules, it states that the second hook must be embedded in the bait and if on a lure like a jig, that it not be longer than the length of the jig so that it does not extend farther back than the last bit of skirt.

The fin-s soft plastic does not have a skirt. Maybe if the assist hooks are shorter than the length of the jig?

It seems like this should be legal because that is the same setup as the Gamakatsu and owner stinger/assist hooks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast