Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Hill 'Bonanza'

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Hill 'Bonanza'

Last week went to Cherryvale to fish Big Hill. Strange that this lake stays pretty much at normal levels. Elk River lake, just 20 miles west, is 12ft high. Have always been told that this lake has a bunch of small black crappies. Lots of standing trees,,, a 'dipping paradise',,, I thot. 1st day,,,fished trees. Did catch a 13in white and some smaller ones but very few blacks. 2nd day,,, loaded with bunches of minners, hit trees again with a less than expected bite. As we were coming into tree cove, graphed a school over a break. Put a way point on it to fish later. Came out to it about 11am with 3 keepers. Dropped k-riggs down into school. WOW!!! Caught fish endlessly till ran out of bait. Tried plastics with nibbs, but they wanted live bait. Had to search area bait stores for more minners. Ended up at Parsons. 3rd morning,,, right to same area,,,same school,,, same fantastic bite. There are a bunch of 6 to 8in fish but a LOT of 10in + also. 2 of clients went back Monday & Tuesday. OMG they were still there hungry as ever. Wear yourself out!!! Bring kids. Best Bite I've been on in years. <*)}}}><Name:  shot 001.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  52.0 KBName:  shot 002.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  57.8 KByou can see fish being caught in second screen shot
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20150624_121425.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  101.1 KB'Big Fish Bob'. Made me smile,,,, watching him hook minners on. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Harold Ensley!!!
    "My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am" -- unknown

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt about it being a bonanza! Excellent job.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Chatt! Sounds like alot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

great report has been on my bucket list since i first heard of it thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Always loved to fish that lake when I was younger. Not a lot of big fish but there are tons of smaller eating ones. Nice job Chatt..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chatt going to have to try that lake

Post Thanks / Like

I am a lunker, er I mean a lurker here. Lol. I enjoy reading about everybody's crappie adventures! I fish a lot with a SOT kayak now days but after reading this "bonanza" I wanted to just say, that I don't know what it is about the HOT months, namely July and August, but I find crappie right along the weed lines and out to about 4- 7 ft of water at Big Hill Lake. I always thought they went deep in the summer? Could it be the oxygen levels along the weeds that attracts them? I was catching them along weeds in 2 ft of water in Timber Hill area last week after the cool front went thru. Also have found that they will readily take a small piece of worm, as I fish for 'gills a lot too. And Chat, Big Hill has a creek that feeds it compared to the Elk Lake, which is fed by the Elk River! 2000-3000 cfs of water is a lot running into Big Hill, where as the Elk can have as much as 30,000 cfs running into it. That's a lot of water! Big Hill's run off is primarily off of grass land, hence the cleaner water, and the Elk comes off of farm land, ie dirt! I call that lake Big Muddy! There are some huge white crappie in there if you can find them. Take a look at the Elk Lake via Google Earth and take a look at the huge island of dirt that has accumulated where the river dumps into the lake. That wasn't there 15 years ago! It is astounding! These are my home lakes so if any questions just ask! Thanks for reading, and tight lines. Thump!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crazy Bite

Name:  shot003.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  34.8 KBName:  shot005.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  43.2 KBName:  shot006.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  43.8 KB 1st shot thermocline. Fish just stacked . Spent 2 days again. Looking to get back. <*)}}}><
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes slabby joe, IceNitro, dfar LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast